7 year old yemen chameleon ill

Rex Goldsmith

Hi, our 7 year old male Chameleon is has got very weak over the last two days and has laid on the floor of his vivarium since yesterday and only moving his head now and again. We can't get him to a vet because of the current Covid virus situation. Can anyone help please ?

Unfortunately if he is unresponsive and weak this is a situation for a vet. There will be very little we can do other then talk through your husbandry with you. Vets are open. They typically are making owners sit in the care. But they are taking appointments and emergencies which is what this would be considered.

keep him warm during the day closer to his basking light not over 85 degrees tho ...mine is 6 and he is in a smaller cage and sleeps on a shelf behind a plant as its harder now for him to grip... mist plants by him so its easier for him to drink hand feed highly nutritious feeders and treasure every day you have left with him:)

No I never gave up on them unless they’re suffering , being old he just slows down but still enjoys life, he won’t live forever but he may have some time left, I encourage you to enjoy your time with him.😊

but gout is easily treated, I have had gout and I don't want to be put down Its your call as only you know how his life is..... this is the part we all dred .. I am there with you and understand how you feel.

That’s why I said this is a part we all dread and it’s his call as only he knows how his life is if he is suffering or if he is happy we can’t decide that, only he can can

Update on our Chameleon Karms. Took him to vets and have a vitamin powder to give him . He is only taking locusts and a little vitimin mixture though and is still only just laying about and not going anywhere. I am spraying his vivarium twice a day and have made his basking lamp lead so i can position it over him several times a day. He has been like this for two weeks now but is eating a little now if I drop them in his mouth but i don't know if he will survive.

You are doing An awesome job and everything possible, When they get older they also don’t eat very much because they don’t move very much I wish you both the very best. Also good to put The back of your hand at the position he is under the light and see how it feels on the back of your hand if it’s comfortable for you it’s comfortable for him best wishes.

Update on our Chameleon Karma, he is still not right even though i am misting him twice a day and hand feeding him locusts and green, although he has managed to get up onto his log twice in the last three weeks. It Seems like he can't use the back end of his body at all.

Update on our Chameleon Karma, he is still not right even though i am misting him twice a day and hand feeding him locusts and green, although he has managed to get up onto his log twice in the last three weeks. It Seems like he can't use the back end of his body at all.
I highly recommend posting some pics of him. Sounds like this is now a situation where you need to really think about this cham and what is harmful rather than helpful. His Quality of life and what you think that is. At 7 years old IMO he has lived a long, happy, and loved life but if he can not move the back end of his body this is now definantly a situation of him not having quality of life.

Have attached some photos, I also have a vet phoning me tomorrow regarding possible x-ray or possibly having to just let him go now

Attachments

• IMG_20210309_171139_burst_02.jpg
    IMG_20210309_171139_burst_02.jpg
    308.9 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_20210309_171120_burst_01.jpg
    IMG_20210309_171120_burst_01.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_20210309_171120_burst_01.jpg
    IMG_20210309_171120_burst_01.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 87
Back
Top Bottom