6 to 7 week old baby veileds

fluxlizard

Avid Member
Took a pic to compare size at hatching with size at 6-7 weeks today. Had a little problem with my camera today- time for a new camera maybe. Strange yellow and lines in photo. But you can still see growth rate.

new born right out of the egg (photo from my blog when the first baby hatched):

calyptratus-hatchling-1024x779.jpg

today- 2 in this pic are ~ 6 weeks, the other 1 (first out) is right at 7 weeks old:

veileds.jpg

It has been a strong clutch- only a couple of eggs failed to hatch and 100% survival rate of hatchlings to date. They all look great and I don't expect any losses. Hatch occurred over a period of nearly 3 weeks.

Thank you.

I am posting because I see a lot of people wondering how old their chameleon is, or people told their chameleon is a couple of months old but when they post a photo it is tiny tiny still.

These are mine at 6-7 weeks old.

Also to add some things of interest for temperatures-

These have already had many nights in the 50s, several in the lower part of that near 50 early on right after hatching when they were still outdoors before real cold set in for the fall and they were brought indoors.

I use 22 and 38 gallon reptariums for hatchlings, laid on their side. In the past I have used aquarium tanks as well as plastic tubs for raising babies. I like the repatariums best because I feed a lot of tiny tropical roaches which can climb out of tubs and aquarium tanks.

On top is a 75 watt bulb in a metal reflector for basking and a uvb tube of some sort (I use tubes, but lately I also use some of the coiled bulbs).

Twigs fill the reptariums from top to bottom and sides to sides, so the entire area is usable and there is a true temperature gradient under the basking area (anywhere from 100+ on down to room temperature is possible for any chameleon at any time during the day).

The chameleons choose their own temperature according to their strong instincts telling them the thermo-regulatory needs of their bodies and have never burned themselves even once in 20 years, and they grow rapidly and are strong. I feel the wide temperature gradient with multiple basking opportunities at various temperatures is what prevents burning, rather than forcing a single site at one temperature vs ambient temperature.

I'll try to get a couple of photos up of the setup I use for babies after the holiday if I can get my camera working properly again.

Back
Top Bottom