6 month panther not eating much and always wants out of cage?

I have had this chameleon for 2 months, he is around 6 months old. Up until about 1 1/2 weeks ago he everything I offered him. I would give him 1 horn worm, 2 or 3 superworms, a dubi and around 5 crickets every day. One day he stopped eating much and has not ate that much since. I can get him to eat 1 super out of my hand in the morning and that's it. I have a run cup and he doesn't touch anything I have in there. The crickets escape the cup so he might get some of those but I dont see it. I also have not found poop in probably a week. Another thing is the day he quit eating is when he started wanting out all the time. When I get home he is scratching at the glass and he runs to my arm. Anytime I come near his cage he does this. He is also overly active in my opinion . He will bask but he is also on the move alot and on the top screen. I have read on other threads that it could be peuberty. If this is correct how long does this behavior and low appetite last? Thanks

Attachments

• 16071791777067532660236732809739.jpg
    16071791777067532660236732809739.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 115
  • 160717924774212303063289704708.jpg
    160717924774212303063289704708.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 113
COngrats you have a teenage chameleon,

" 1 horn worm, 2 or 3 superworms, a dubi and around 5 crickets " thats what an "good eater" adult will eat per week.

Start offering larger meals 2-3 times a week vs the baby daily routine.

And id start cup/feeder training.

And odds are "he" wants out because "he" wants to scout for rookie chams that are invading his territory. No self respecting female is going to wander into a bug free ranch. Remember at 7-9 months its mating season.

Hi There,

Boys do "patrol" their area, but a chameleon that always wants out is usually an indicator that he's unhappy about something in his enclosure. Since you have a glass enclosure, my first guess is it could be the temperature/humidity, as it's really easy to overheat since there isn't a ton of ventilation. The other issue could be the size as well, since most cham species require a 2x2x4' enclosure (I can't tell visually exactly what size this is, but the photos makes it look small to me).

However, in order to actually figure out what's going on, I recommend a husbandry review. This should provide enough information for us to figure out exactly what's going on. Copy/paste the form below and fill in your answers:

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful

It's a custom built enclosure that I built. It has alot of ventilation, screen top and screen strip on the bottom under the front door. Its 44in tall, 24in deep and 27in wide, top basking spot 90 degrees, and goes down to 70 degrees half way down. Humidity drops to 60% between mistings. I mist 4min in the mornings and then 2 min at noon 2 min before the lights turn off. It also has a recirculating dripper that runs for 90min a day.

It's a custom built enclosure that I built. It has alot of ventilation, screen top and screen strip on the bottom under the front door. Its 44in tall, 24in deep and 27in wide, top basking spot 90 degrees, and goes down to 70 degrees half way down. Humidity drops to 60% between mistings. I mist 4min in the mornings and then 2 min at noon 2 min before the lights turn off. It also has a recirculating dripper that runs for 90min a day.

Ok! Glad to hear it's the appropriate size, it was just hard to tell without a reference in the photos 🙂
Nice job on the DIY build btw, it looks great.

Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Panther, male around 6 months

Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? First 2 months I had him couple times a week, now everyday since he wants out so bad.

Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? Crickets, dubias, superworms, hornworms, black soldier fly larva. Now I can only get him to eat 1 superworm per day.

What amount? 1 per day
What is the schedule?
How are you gut-loading your feeders? Repashy Bug burgers, insect fuel, repashy superload, bee pollen, fresh apples, carrots, sweet potato, mango, and I also made a blended up gutload with mustard greens, apples, oranges, carrots, sweet potato, bee pollen, mango and then added geletin

Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Reptivite once every 2 weeks, zoo med repticalcium with d3 once every 2 weeks, repicalcium without d3 every day. Sticky tongue miner-all without d3 2 or 3 days a week.

Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? Misting and dripper with ro water
How often and how long to you mist? 4 times threwout the day total of 10 min. Dripper runs for 90 min per day

Do you see your chameleon drinking? Not often sometime in the morning mist I see him open his mouth and close it about 10 times

Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Never tested. His poop always looks good with a solid white tip. Last poop I found was a little creamy white looking. Not orange but not white. Just a tinted white

History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:

Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? I already made a post of my enclosure

Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Arcadia spot light, arcadia 22in led bar, arcadia 22in t5 uvb 6% and a 100watt incandescent buld for heat on a dimmer.

Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? I use a heat temp gun, basking spot 90 and half way down the cage to the floor its 70. Night time 68degrees

Humidity - What are your humidity levels? Between 90 and 55. 90 when I mist and it drops to 60 or 55 before the next mist
How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Misting

Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Pothos and umbrella plant and a couple other I dont know what they are. I'll take pictures

Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? In the living room in the corner. Top of cage is over 6ft off the floor

Location - Where are you geographically located? South dakota, united states

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. I started the post with this problem

Here are more pictures of the vent at the bottom and plants I have

Attachments

• 16071831034394290705015799670466.jpg
    16071831034394290705015799670466.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 97
  • 1607183136777772795106924552813.jpg
    1607183136777772795106924552813.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 101
  • 16071831613968024481892668334558.jpg
    16071831613968024481892668334558.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 84
  • 16071831827484318805557726639030.jpg
    16071831827484318805557726639030.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 83
  • 16071832116194422251671674081803.jpg
    16071832116194422251671674081803.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 92
  • 16071832484015541209239546647393.jpg
    16071832484015541209239546647393.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 82
i think the front air intake its to small so air cant recycle enough.thats my opinion,im new on this forum!

hmm i dont really know if pc fans do the job! well if you dont get "foggy"when you mist i think you are ok.but we need experienced member with experienced answer!
my veiled 5-6 month has got same behavior like yours.hes going up top on hes cage every day,sometimes he sleeps like bat

@dertien6161 Hi there I am going to go through your help form...

Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Panther, male around 6 months

Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? First 2 months I had him couple times a week, now everyday since he wants out so bad.

Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? Crickets, dubias, superworms, hornworms, black soldier fly larva. Now I can only get him to eat 1 superworm per day. So at this age you want to kick over to an every other day feeding of 5 feeders. When he hits 12 months this drops back to 3 feeders every other day. He is maturing and does not need to eat as much for growth now. If crickets are escaping that means he may very well be hunting those that go loose down in the dirt. Also if you have CUC he may be picking those off.

What amount? 1 per day
What is the schedule?
How are you gut-loading your feeders? Repashy Bug burgers, insect fuel, repashy superload, bee pollen, fresh apples, carrots, sweet potato, mango, and I also made a blended up gutload with mustard greens, apples, oranges, carrots, sweet potato, bee pollen, mango and then added geletin

Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Reptivite once every 2 weeks, zoo med repticalcium with d3 once every 2 weeks, repicalcium without d3 every day. Sticky tongue miner-all without d3 2 or 3 days a week. Does the Reptivite have D3 in it? Supplements should be adjusted a bit... You want to give the multivitamin 2 times a month... But please let me know which one your using so I can give you better feedback on rotation.

Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? Misting and dripper with ro water
How often and how long to you mist? 4 times threwout the day total of 10 min. Dripper runs for 90 min per day

Do you see your chameleon drinking? Not often sometime in the morning mist I see him open his mouth and close it about 10 times

Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Never tested. His poop always looks good with a solid white tip. Last poop I found was a little creamy white looking. Not orange but not white. Just a tinted white

History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:

Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? I already made a post of my enclosure

Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Arcadia spot light, arcadia 22in led bar, arcadia 22in t5 uvb 6% and a 100watt incandescent buld for heat on a dimmer.

Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? I use a heat temp gun, basking spot 90 and half way down the cage to the floor its 70. Night time 68degrees Basking is a bit hot... I would drop this back to 85 max... 80-85 is the normal basking range.

Humidity - What are your humidity levels? Between 90 and 55. 90 when I mist and it drops to 60 or 55 before the next mist
How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Misting

Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Pothos and umbrella plant and a couple other I dont know what they are. I'll take pictures

Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? In the living room in the corner. Top of cage is over 6ft off the floor

Location - Where are you geographically located? South dakota, united states

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. I started the post with this problem I touched on this in your feeding schedule. He is now hitting maturity. They start to become more active patrolling their territory. This is very common.

I wouldnt think it's to small but maybe. When I mist I have no glass fogging at all so I know I have good ventilation. I could add some computer fans up top pulling air up to add even more?
This honestly would be a great idea. granted your screen at the bottom does create a chimney effect you want to make sure the air is pulling up and out so your not getting stagnant air. I would use one or two pc fans on top aimed out to pull the air through better.

My reptevite does not have d3 in it. The only supplement that has d3 is my second calcium and I use it 1 time per month. So I'm using all the supplements and schedule for them that the breeder told me to use and he told me to do the 90 degree basking spot.

My reptevite does not have d3 in it. The only supplement that has d3 is my second calcium and I use it 1 time per month. So I'm using all the supplements and schedule for them that the breeder told me to use and he told me to do the 90 degree basking spot.
That is totally up to you...

Typically we give multivitamins 2 times a month and calcium with D3 two times a month, these two are rotated week to week at one feeding. Then calcium without D3 at all other feedings. This is the normal rotation in the hobby.

The hotter basking temps are more old school thinking. Hotter temps have been found to reduce their lifespan. The hottest recommendation for males you will see now a days is 85.

So within the forum and most FB groups you will get this same feedback for these two items.

Sorry I messed that up for my schedule. Idk what I was thinking. That's what I do is vitamin every other week and calcium with d3 every other week. So I use them both 2 times a month. I use the calcium without d3 every feeding and the miner-all I use a couple days a week and just throw a little in with the calcium. I will lower my basking. What are your thoughts on the sticky tough miner- all?

Sorry I messed that up for my schedule. Idk what I was thinking. That's what I do is vitamin every other week and calcium with d3 every other week. So I use them both 2 times a month. I use the calcium without d3 every feeding and the miner-all I use a couple days a week and just throw a little in with the calcium. I will lower my basking. What are your thoughts on the sticky tough miner- all?
Is the sticky tongue the indoor version or the outdoor version? It is a good product with balanced calcium and minerals. I would not necessarily mix it with the calcium... Changes up the ratio and balance of the product.

I found that poop today, the end was always white now its orange. I dont know how he would be getting dehydrated I mist so much and have the dripper running for 90 min a day

Back
Top Bottom