6 month male veiled - need help please

MoodyMelody

Hi,
Just registered, new with chameleons and worried I don't know enough, despite lots of reading up, our young man skittles is not looking right to me and could do with some advice please.
We have had him for two weeks, but he isn't eating locusts/crickets, even though we have the size appropriate ones for him, left some in his cage and they just got bigger, then I was told not to leave them in the viv as when the chameleons sleep they get nibbled by the crickets, so i have removed them.....is this true, or should one leave a few small ones in there (they did have some in the viv at the pet shop) he has eaten a few waxworms and a couple of mealworms, but even off those in the last couple of days. Been reading up to see if this could be beause he maybe going to shed, but I dont know......
He also was drinking quite a lot, over the last couple of days when i mist ( did not see him doing this before though) however today i didnt see him drink at all.
he basks a lot during the day, but over the last few days, his eyes are closed a lot in the day and he seems to be a bit unsteady/weak.
He is in a glass viv, glass front and two sides, he has plastic plants, a basking hammock and 2 live plants that i checked first were veiled safe. (spider plant and fiscus, if i recall) the size of the viv is 60x50x40 cm.
He doesnt explore much, in fact spends most of his time either in the live ( tall plant) or on the hammock.
He is handled daily, but I'm thinking this might be too much? suggestions please?
lighting- we have the 5%uv light with arcadia magnetic controller also the exo terra light dome with i think it's a 75 watt lamp and a thermostat (this was all sold to us by the reptile centre where we got skittles and the viv and food)
I read the basking temp should be around 90 degrees for adults and less for youngsters, so set it at 85- is this right or what do i need to adjust to? have a thermometer in the basking area, but not elswhere do i need another ( he spends all of his time either under the basking light or very close to it in his favorite plant, but rarely goes to a cooler part of the viv).
I Mist several times a day, but going to put a drip water system in tomorrow as we will be out during the week days more from next week and wont be able to mist as much.
As you can see, we are very inexperinced and I'm totally stressed that we do not have this right and very concerned for his health, as his behaviour has changed over the last few days.
Please let me know what we are doing wrong, as i fear our little chap is not doing well.
thanks so much, look forward to your help.

is your viv mostly all glass, or does it have a mesh front and top? Because he could have a respiratory infection from all the moisture just hanging out in the cage. Fill our the help sheet https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/ to give more experience people a better idea of what is going on, also post some pictures of your cham and the enclosure, the pictures really help. But other then that, im very new to chams myself (had mine for almost 2 weeks) but i would take your cham to the vet if you can just to be sure since if anything is seriously wrong the vet should know what to do to help the poor guy, http://www.arav.org/find-a-vet/ here is list to find a vet in your area. also you should have a hydrometer to know the humidity inside the enclosure, and a thermometer at the bottom of the cage to monitor if there is enough a temperature gradient encase the top is too hot. I hope things get better soon

is your viv mostly all glass, or does it have a mesh front and top? Because he could have a respiratory infection from all the moisture just hanging out in the cage. Fill our the help sheet https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/ to give more experience people a better idea of what is going on, also post some pictures of your cham and the enclosure, the pictures really help. But other then that, im very new to chams myself (had mine for almost 2 weeks) but i would take your cham to the vet if you can just to be sure since if anything is seriously wrong the vet should know what to do to help the poor guy, http://www.arav.org/find-a-vet/ here is list to find a vet in your area. also you should have a hydrometer to know the humidity inside the enclosure, and a thermometer at the bottom of the cage to monitor if there is enough a temperature gradient encase the top is too hot. I hope things get better soon
Hi, thanks, I'll look into that today.
His viv is 3 sided glass and mesh at the top, with a solid back.
is it ok to put a couple of crickets and locusts in his vis- I was told they should be taken out at night as they can nibble the chameleon while he sleeps is this correct? Need to get him eating and cant see how if they are not roaming in his viv (I'm not one for pulling their legs off as has been suggested by a friend). these have been lacking in his diet and he is off even the waxworms now ( which i know should only be an occassional treat).
will get some pics up later.
thanks for your reply

Welcome to the forums. What makes you think your little man might not be well? Please post some photos of him and his enclosure. I have a blog for how I have had success with raising little ones attached below.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...ng-veiled-panther-chameleons.html#comment1721
HI thanks very much, will go through that today.
He seems tired, has his eyes closed a lot of time during the day, not eating and when basking (this could be normal, I just dont know) he seems to go a very brownish colour? I have in the last couple of days had to spray him to almost revivie him from his sleep and this morning i put the lights on and he didnt open his eyes.....there is a pic of him in the members pic, but will put some up of him, when i think he's not looking ok and also of his viv.

Hi, thanks, I'll look into that today.
His viv is 3 sided glass and mesh at the top, with a solid back.
is it ok to put a couple of crickets and locusts in his vis- I was told they should be taken out at night as they can nibble the chameleon while he sleeps is this correct? Need to get him eating and cant see how if they are not roaming in his viv (I'm not one for pulling their legs off as has been suggested by a friend). these have been lacking in his diet and he is off even the waxworms now ( which i know should only be an occassional treat).
will get some pics up later.
thanks for your reply

I personally let crickets stay in mine overnight, but I never let them stay if there are more then 2 because yes they can munch on our chams. I dont pull the legs off because chams (at least mine) will not eat a non-moving animal. He has shot out his tongue at many crickets and lost them and never tried to eat them again because they were not moving. And your viv doesnt seem like the appropriate kind to me, as far as I know if your going to have glass the front should be mesh and the top, unless i am missunderstanding your discription of it. If yours isnt better in the next 2 days i would highly recomend taking it to a vet near you that has had a history with reptiles and specifically chameleons. Call some up and ask if they have a good knowledge of chameleons or not before you even go to save you time and gas. I truly hope your cham gets better soon though

HI,
have had a bit of a break through today, put 5 crickets in this morning and within a matter of minutes he ate 4 of them, so really pleased .....
put a couple more in this afternoon, dont think he ate any before he went to sleep tonight.
will keep a check on him tomorrow, he still seems a bit sleepy and slow , going to clean out the viv tomorrow and have been trying to plan better way of placing plants etc.
Just really happy that he has eaten now and will monitor tomorrow to see how he is doing. yes my viv, which was sold by the reptile shop where we got him (although i appreciate that it doesnt mean it was the best for him) has two solid glass panels at the side, mesh at the top and two opening glass doors at the front.
thanks for your reply, much appreciated.

glad he seems to be improving, nothing more stressful then a sick cham lol mine hasnt been acting right either so ive just been letting him chill and relax and do him. keep us posted on his health =D

You really should fill out the how to ask for help form. I think your enclosure might be a problem. They really do need good ventilation so there should be two sides that are screen to allow for air flow. You do not mention how you are gut-loading your feeders. It is important to use a nutritious dry gut-load and some fresh fruits and greens so the insects are going to give your cham what he needs to thrive. You don't really say how old your cham is and if it is a baby it needs a lot more that 4 or 5 crix/locusts a day. When mine were babies they ate upwards of 2 dozen crickets in a day. Since you have only had him a couple weeks he may just need some time to adjust. Before I got my Aquazamp mister I never saw my veiled drinking but he clearly was as his urates were nice and white.

Sleeping during the day is not a good sign and could indicate an illness but it is hard to say without the help form.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Veiled, male, 6 months - 2 weeks
Handling - Daily
Feeding - crickets, locusts, wax worms and meal worms now and then. gut loading with with banana, carrots and greens. put crickets in morning and afternoon.
Supplements - calcidust -dusting 4-5 times a week
Watering - Spraying several times a day, set up a drip sytem one, but didnt work too well, yes I do see him drinking.
Fecal Description - white
Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? NO
History - no

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Glass, 4 sided, with a mesh top 60x50x40
Lighting - 12 hour lighting, UV 5% Arcadia with magnetic controller and exoterra light dome 75w bulb with thermostat set at 88f
Temperature - Basking 85f controlled by thermometer, floor 75- night 60.
Humidity - failed on this so far, going out to get a hygrometer today
Plants - spider plant and ficus
Placement - Sons bedroom in a corner, standing on a desk, not near vents or fans, or high traffic- the top is as tall as me, around 5.3
Location - UK
Current Problem - He has been off his food, although he did eat 5 crickets yesterday, he seems sleepy in the day and has just been basking mostly with closed eyes and going a brownish colour, perks up and greens when he goes back on his plants ( basks on a hammock) and is a lovely light colour when sleeping. We are inexperienced and trying to learn fast, but reading up varoious things on the net can be confusing. He did take worms from tweasers when we first got him, or if you put them in front of him, gone off them now and for a few days had no interests in crickets/locusts...had a few yesterday. is it best to just release a few into the viv for him eat in his own time and should one remove them, if by his bedtime, they are still there ?(hear they can nibble on them while sleeping) yesterday i tipped a few crickets onto his basking hammock and he just got stuck in, but once they are at large in the viv and go to the bottom, he doesnt get them, as he tends to have a very limited area at the top of the viv that he stays in and doesnt venture around much and not to the bottom.
I've been told that my viv might not be the best, which is annoying as it was sold by the reptile centre where we got him and in fact all the equipment and was not cheap.....misting, might look at getting and automatic mister, as we are out during the day.
handling, i think we may have been doing to much of this, so cutting down, to see if that helps. he is 6 months the reptile centre said, but to be fair i wouldnt know for sure. there is a pic of him up in members gallery and going to put more up today.

Last edited:
hopefully pic will show

showimage.php

Back
Top Bottom