6 lights off of one timer?

gar732

I have three cages with a heat lamp and fluorescents on each. I'm going to be going away for a week and want to set them up on a timer. Can I plug them all into a powerstrip and then into a timer? I thought I remember reading that that can cause a fire but I'm not sure. If I can't do that then I could use some suggestions on how to automate my lighting, I really don't want to run six different timers. I'd appreciate any help, thanks.

I have three cages with a heat lamp and fluorescents on each. I'm going to be going away for a week and want to set them up on a timer. Can I plug them all into a powerstrip and then into a timer? I thought I remember reading that that can cause a fire but I'm not sure. If I can't do that then I could use some suggestions on how to automate my lighting, I really don't want to run six different timers. I'd appreciate any help, thanks.

I mean I run all mine off one timer and powerstrip but I'm running 4 lights and my mister haven't started a fire yet.. Knock on wood

I have both of my cages on the same timer for the lights. The power strip is plugged directly into the wall. The lights of one cage are plugged in to the power strip with an extension cord. There should not be a problem this way. What you may be thinking of is the extension cord plugged in to the receptacle and the power strip plugged in to the extension cord. I believe that is a fire risk.

I mean I run all mine off one timer and powerstrip but I'm running 4 lights and my mister haven't started a fire yet.. Knock on wood

Lol, I just want to be sure. I want yo make sure I have lizards and a house to come back to.

I have both of my cages on the same timer for the lights. The power strip is plugged directly into the wall. The lights of one cage are plugged in to the power strip with an extension cord. There should not be a problem this way. What you may be thinking of is the extension cord plugged in to the receptacle and the power strip plugged in to the extension cord. I believe that is a fire risk.

It would be all six lights plugged into the powerstrip and the powerstrip plugged into the timer that would be plugged into the wall.

Lol, I just want to be sure. I want yo make sure I have lizards and a house to come back to.

It would be all six lights plugged into the powerstrip and the powerstrip plugged into the timer that would be plugged into the wall.

I have a whole powerstrip that IS a timer. Six plugs on one side go to the timer and the six plugs on the otherside are "on all the time". I found it at either petco or petsmart. I'm not home so I can't get a picture right now.

I run like 30 lights daisy chained off a single timer. Look on the back of the timer and will find its electrical rating. Don't excide the maximum wattage or amp rating and you'll be ok.

Carl

Yes, you can. Get a power strip that is rated at 15amps and you will be fine.
It's also a good safety tip to put plastic plugs in the ones your not using.
This prevents stuff from falling and getting inside live sockets on your strip.

Back
Top Bottom