5mo old panther eggs

Zanish

Sorry I don't have a pic to perfectly show this but let me try to explain. I have a clutch of panther eggs that are currently 5mo old. They've been kept between 74-76 degrees with a single day occurance of about 78-80 since laid in moist vermiculite. When the eggs were laid, they were quite white in color and healthy looking. Recently, I've been noticing some discolorations. They seem to be showing "splotchy" semi-translucent areas, not solid white like before. I have not found any with mold, or shriveling, or not yellow....these splotches ...kinda ...it's almost a "dark white" if i had to choose a way to describe the color/// So, I was thinking they may have died, at this same time I checked a huge clutch from a veiled, and had to remove a few smaller eggs that had darkened or began to mold. Of course I opened them just to find the yellow mush inside, and decided to open one of the worst looking panther eggs , and to my supprise I found very bright red strings of blood and a little dark splat...likely a quite fertile egg. So, back went the eggs into the closet.

Does anyone or has anyone ever had this experience with the splotchy looking panther eggs before? Is this cause for concern?

TYVM

Sounds like the babies inside are absorbing the calcium from the egg shell. Mine have generally looked almost like the white is cracking and a more transparent/off white shell is peeking through. A pic would help though, just to confirm.

Mature Graceful Eggs

Here is a picture of my Graceful eggs after 9 months. It may give you some idea as to what older eggs look like.

Terry

Attachments

• 028.jpg
    028.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 185
I know nothing about chameleon breeding and eggs (going to chime in anyway), but at 5 months would you not expect to see a wee identifiable fetus yet?

It depends. Some clutches take 9+ months to hatch, and some have even hatched out at 5 months. The closer the clutch/egg is to hatching, the more developed the fetus will be. If you use temperature control to try and break the diapause at a certain time, the eggs can hatch quite quickly. Of course, even people who dont do this can have eggs hatch out very quickly as well.

Do the eggs look like the 9 month old eggs here?

http://muchadoaboutchameleons.blogspot.com/2012/11/panther-chameleon-breeding-eggs.html?m=1

Back
Top Bottom