50 cent basking bulbs.

They are also rated at 5000 hours, which is really good, thats like what, 18 months at 12 hours a day? And i assume with a dimmer they would last even longer.

They are also rated at 5000 hours, which is really good, thats like what, 18 months at 12 hours a day? And i assume with a dimmer they would last even longer.

Yep that was the thought. And they are designed for heating applications, so likely have more IR than a standard Incan or Halogen.

50 cents a piece, honestly can't beat it. From my investigating it would appear Sylvania has discontinued the bulbs. Likely due to a move to infared heaters that use less wattage for the same heat, has prevailed, and sales were low. Anyway, it's closeout pricing.

I found some "normal price" listings and they were 7-10 dollars each, so the 50 cents closeout is a steal. So anyone who has large enough reflectors (they are fairly large lamps, a 8 inch is probably minimum) should stock up.

Last edited:
15 for 20 bucks, ill take a gamble. Currently using 4 35 watt halogens in a strip, $15 for 10 of those, and i burn out 10 of them every 5 years.

That's a good deal.
Light bulbs are being phased over to efficient LED.
Lights that produce heat are going to get really hard to come by.

That's a good deal.
Light bulbs are being phased over to efficient LED.
Lights that produce heat are going to get really hard to come by.

Well lights that are made specifically for heating purposes will still be a thing.

However infared heaters are starting to break into that area. As I think happened here, with chickens.

Well lights that are made specifically for heating purposes will still be a thing.

However infared heaters are starting to break into that area. As I think happened here, with chickens.

Wonder how many confused chams we will have in 5 years when we can not get bulbs, and will have UVB bulbs (maybe eve led) and IR coils for basking lights.

IMG_20200212_174058.jpg

I dont think ill get 5000 hours out of this one...
But the other 14 arrived ok :)

Back
Top Bottom