48”x48” Reptibreeze XL Build

bmartin0352

So I acquired the two Reptibreeze XLs off of Facebook Marketplace. One brand new in box for $80 and the other one, used, for $65. Not too bad. Here’s where they will sit, on a stand, once joined and completed.
F5F7F702-C709-473D-A448-23EB05799139.jpeg

First order of business was to make this a French door set up. I took the used unit and deconstructed it to the correct orientation since all Reptibreeze enclosures open to the right. I had to drill new holes for the bottom access door.
C536DB9E-3791-45BE-876B-1BF5EB89274D.jpeg
Once reassembled I removed the screens from the panels making up the middle. These are like any window screen and held in by a rubber stripped. Find the end in a corner, pry out, and pull it off and the screen material comes right out.
AB4DE6B0-4445-4A87-A153-5FBE0519BDA8.jpeg
Now with both enclosures side by side, minus their interior panel mesh, I noticed that the factory round head panel screws butted up to one another leaving a considerable gap between the units. I plan to do an interior brace, especially here in the middle, but didn’t like the spacing the screws left me. So I switched out both panels’ screws with some flat head screws I had.
E058BBE7-5C4D-4B93-A49E-C14BAEA5FD9D.jpeg

With the new screws installed the fit was much better leaving a good reveal.
E721F7B4-642A-4346-AF60-463469E167CF.jpeg

Latching the used unit’s top door with its new orientation and the interior side bottom access door was achieved by pilot drilling new holes and using similar flat head screws that I painted the heads black. I couldn’t get the factory latch screws insert point for the phillips bit cleared out enough to get it to pull off. So they swing underneath instead of over top. For now, it works. Here’s the end result for the day.
E3AC84A2-6333-40FE-A235-318046811732.jpeg

this picture is actually before I finished the latching and swapped out the interior panel screws but we have a French door set up 😊

Ok so the bracing is done. Went to Lowes and picked up some aluminum stock and self tapping screws. Total was just under $50.
BAED85E8-14DF-46B5-B3F3-12937F83B916.jpeg

the angled pieces are 1/16th x 3/4” and the flats are 1/8th x 1”. I braced the back side top and bottom and the flats went on top, bottom, and backside at the joining point. It’s a solid single unit now and still light weight.
18AD258B-DE28-4B5F-A152-A2DDD51BF8E6.jpeg

I will add a 1/16th x 1/2” flat piece to the interior side of the front where the join is. As well, I had to make some footers for the front bottom corners to get it leveled due to the new “exo skeleton”. I’ll paint the metal black then move on to foaming. I’m a newbie at that so any and all tips are greatly appreciated 👊🏻

I will add a 1/16th x 1/2” flat piece to the interior side of the front where the join is. As well, I had to make some footers for the front bottom corners to get it leveled due to the new “exo skeleton”. I’ll paint the metal black then move on to foaming. I’m a newbie at that so any and all tips are greatly appreciated 👊🏻
Wow! It’s looking great!
For the foaming, wear gloves! It’s nasty stuff to remove from your hands. Have some acetone on hand just in case. You might also want to do a test spray to get a feel for how it comes out. If you’re using the egg crate, you will need something behind it, like landscape cloth and then a tarp or something for any overspray that may happen. If you’re using the gap filler Great Stuff (tannish color), you really can’t save a partially used can for later as the nozzle clogs with dried foam. The black pond & stone one can be saved for at least a couple of days…just wipe the nozzle tip clean.
For carving, I just use one of my bigger kitchen knives and hack away. I started using craft knives, but that was going to take forever. Also, keep in mind that you’ll be needing to get silicone or other into whatever little crevices and what not that you carve. Even using the spray as I did, it was a pain to get in all the little spots.
One last tip. If you’re foaming in plant pots, stuff them firmly with newspaper or something and do the foaming in segments or very light layers. As the foam expands, it can and will warp your pots. Yes, I did learn this the hard way. ;)

So I acquired the two Reptibreeze XLs off of Facebook Marketplace. One brand new in box for $80 and the other one, used, for $65. Not too bad. Here’s where they will sit, on a stand, once joined and completed.
View attachment 308342
First order of business was to make this a French door set up. I took the used unit and deconstructed it to the correct orientation since all Reptibreeze enclosures open to the right. I had to drill new holes for the bottom access door.
View attachment 308343Once reassembled I removed the screens from the panels making up the middle. These are like any window screen and held in by a rubber stripped. Find the end in a corner, pry out, and pull it off and the screen material comes right out.
View attachment 308346Now with both enclosures side by side, minus their interior panel mesh, I noticed that the factory round head panel screws butted up to one another leaving a considerable gap between the units. I plan to do an interior brace, especially here in the middle, but didn’t like the spacing the screws left me. So I switched out both panels’ screws with some flat head screws I had.
View attachment 308347
With the new screws installed the fit was much better leaving a good reveal.
View attachment 308348
Latching the used unit’s top door with its new orientation and the interior side bottom access door was achieved by pilot drilling new holes and using similar flat head screws that I painted the heads black. I couldn’t get the factory latch screws insert point for the phillips bit cleared out enough to get it to pull off. So they swing underneath instead of over top. For now, it works. Here’s the end result for the day.
View attachment 308350
this picture is actually before I finished the latching and swapped out the interior panel screws but we have a French door set up 😊
Remember a drainage solution is critical for all the misting! Cool idea of joining two together.

Remember a drainage solution is critical for all the misting! Cool idea of joining two together.
Yes, I learned rather quickly with our single Large Reptibreeze enclosure that water needs somewhere to go other than all over its wood stand, lol. I tapped the substrate tray and ran tubing to a large vase underneath for the time being on that one (currently housing our cham). For this new enclosure set up I reached out to Bill Strand on whether or not he sold the drainage tray that comes with the Dragon Strand Atrium units, a single 24” x 48” tray. Unfortunately in my case he said they are not sold separately as they are shipped out attached to their enclosures. So my thoughts were to purchase 2 of the 24” x 24” trays he does sell and tap them to drain through the stand this enclosure will rest on and expel into a bucket next to my reservoir for the Mistking.

Looking like a lot of work still ahead of you before it’s finished. But looking good so far. After you purchase the 2 drainage tray from DS you will only be $400 from a new purchase of a

Large Screen Atrium + Drainage 🤔

Back
Top Bottom