4 infertile clutches in a row!!

Debmonster

I have witnessed the copulation and may have pics too but...all of her clutches have been infertile! I bred a virgin cham to the same male and and she laid 14 beautiful growing eggs! But the cham I bought at a pet store is not taking. She was full grown and said to be an ambilobe and by all the pics I've seen of other ambilobe females she fits the description.

Any thoughts?

Do you mean more than one time in the cage or once and had 4 clutches? I bred her until she rejected the male and I bred her between each clutch (I didn't personally breed her I let the male do that :) )

Oh... Then I don't know.. It's possible that perhaps she can't? Or is it only like that in mammals?

I have witnessed the copulation and may have pics too but...all of her clutches have been infertile! I bred a virgin cham to the same male and and she laid 14 beautiful growing eggs! But the cham I bought at a pet store is not taking. She was full grown and said to be an ambilobe and by all the pics I've seen of other ambilobe females she fits the description.

Any thoughts?

the sad thing is it could be the male.
you'll never know untill you try another female.

Harry

or...........

My thoughts are that maybe I'm not keeping her in the "eat as much as you want" phase long enough or the "reduction of food" phase. Here's my concept extracted from various sources (and I may have totally misinterpreted and concocted a bad philosophy):

1. after laying - eat as much as you want with a dash of calcium booster

2. 3 weeks to a month later - reduce intake until color becomes receptive-ish (one time she never came into her receptive colors and laid 37 infertile eggs)

3. Increase food accessablity for about a week and start checking for responsiveness to the male.

Three times she was very responsive to the male, very quiet and accomodating.

Any ideas??

Also., is there a book that someone could recommend that has some up to date breeding techniques? ... I've been looking for info (both online and printed) with some detailed research on the care for the female breeder cham before and after laying.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom