39 eggs and Trying something different

CasqueAbove

Chameleon Enthusiast
Ok so over the last 6+ months My feedings have been down too 2 3/4 in dubia every other day. Last cluctch was I think 63 or 83 way too big. This time it was 39, But I still feel this is a big clutch. Her weight prior has stayed at 86g over the last 6 months. Opinions on this ?

Also I a going to try leaving the eggs more clumped together like they are laid, I won't remove babies till all, or at least most hatch.

Attachments

• IMG_1010.jpg
    IMG_1010.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_1011.jpg
    IMG_1011.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 63
What are you hoping will happen?

Glad you could decrease the clutch size. It will be good for the female! The next clutch may be even smaller. What's her basking temperature?

Her basking is basking runs from 78 - 81 depending on day and outside temps. Ambient is @75

I am glad the clutch size is down, but I wonder if I should still decrease feeding amounts just a bit. It still seed large.

I don't really expect too much. Last time I removed soon after hatch. This caused me to peek in a lot and make too many mistakes lol. I think I am just going for less human intervention.
There was also the discussion about hatching when they feel the others climbing on them. So I am lookin to observe a little into that theory as well.

The clutch size takes a couple of "times" to cut down completely so it might still cut further without you decreasing the size of the meal further....just my experience.

As for eggs hatching when others walk over them...that even happens when the eggs are placed in rows...but In nature the eggs are all beside each other and I'm sure that they are triggered to hatch by the first one hatching...either from pheromones or from the jostling of the eggs by the first one hatching.

I've always thought that the individual hatching had an advantage of sorts because each one (except for the ones that get walked over) hatches as though it was the first and might be a bit more likely to survive that way. Just my own thoughts...no proof yet.

IMHO it would be interesting to take a clutch and to separate some and put some close together and see if the survival rate or perhaps health is affected.

I just got them out of the bin today. So I am going to do exactly that. One I will leave clumped, one I will spread the eggs far apart, and one separated into the normal 1 inch or 2.4cm? I will keep all other things identical. I will be able to track them to at least 3 months of age, some longer.

And now we wait.

Back
Top Bottom