36x18x36 terrarium set up advice

KDaters

My new cage is going to arrive in three days. If you have or have had an exo terra 36x18x36 and have pictures or advice on doing a forest edge set up could you please post them. I’m looking for inspiration or ways to set up lighting and my plants. Thank you! I think I’ve got a good idea for the plants but like seeing how others have done it.

Thank you! This is glass yeah? Can you do bio in a screen terrarium? Guess I should have specified that.

It is glass and yes you can do substrate in a screen enclosure. You will either have to buy or build a substrate tray for it.

Thank you! This is glass yeah? Can you do bio in a screen terrarium? Guess I should have specified that.

100% doable with a screen cage! The screen cage I'm converting had a different footprint, but here's an idea for a simple planter box base if you choose to go bioactive :)

And for drainage, you could either add a tap or use some PVC to access the drainage layer.

Last edited:
Watch the videos by the biodude on YouTube. It will show you all you want to know.
I saw this but didn’t watch the video. I thought it was specific to gliding frogs and didn’t think it’d really apply but I’ll check it out.

100% doable with a screen cage! The screen cage I converting had a different footprint, but here's an idea for a simple planter box base if you choose to go bioactive :)

View attachment 248436

View attachment 248437

View attachment 248438

And for drainage, you could either add a tap or use some PVC to access the drainage layer.
Holy smokes, I may reach out to you separately and pick your brain if that’s okay? I wasn’t planning on doing a bio. I was going to leave the bottom clear for easy clean up and just try to go heavy plants with an open area for basking. I definitely would like to learn more about a bio set up though!

Holy smokes, I may reach out to you separately and pick your brain if that’s okay? I wasn’t planning on doing a bio. I was going to leave the bottom clear for easy clean up and just try to go heavy plants with an open area for basking. I definitely would like to learn more about a bio set up though!

Please feel free! I'm always happy to chat about my latest obsession haha!

This turned out awesome. Would that Great Stuff foam work on screen do you think?

I couldn't necessarily foam directly on the screen, as it'll try to expand out through it and it gets messy! It's also prone to warping. You can absolutely cut a support of some sort into size, foam onto that, and then fix it into place, though! I've been using eggcrate light diffuser as my support, placing it on some plastic dropcloth, and then going to town. The key is light coats, and strategic placement of weights to discourage warping!

Current WIP wall, in several stages of building:

k

I couldn't necessarily foam directly on the screen, as it'll try to expand out through it and it gets messy! It's also prone to warping. You can absolutely cut a support of some sort into size, foam onto that, and then fix it into place, though! I've been using eggcrate light diffuser as my support, placing it on some plastic dropcloth, and then going to town. The key is light coats, and strategic placement of weights to discourage warping!

Current WIP wall, in several stages of building:

View attachment 248457

View attachment 248458

View attachment 248459

View attachment 248460k
Haha nice slippers. That looks awesome. I was going to go for a dense forest edge set up but you guys have me reconsidering now. You guys should make a video walk through on a build. I’ll definitely be asking you guys for pointers.

Haha nice slippers. That looks awesome. I was going to go for a dense forest edge set up but you guys have me reconsidering now. You guys should make a video walk through on a build. I’ll definitely be asking you guys for pointers.

My slippers are glorious, thank you very much! :p

I'll leave the video creation to those with good recording equipment and a more organized way of doing things haha! I'm too chaotic and artsy in general. Maybe a snippet here and there if I can't explain it with pictures, though. :unsure:

If you use FaceBook at all, I recommend you request to join the Reptile and Amphibian Bioactive Setup group! Lots of ideas, and a bunch if knowledgeable folks around to point you in the right direction. I'm a frequent lurker for inspiration!

"Forest edge" was kinda what I was going for in my first big build. I'm very attached to it, though it's flawed and there are many things I'd do a bit differently. I dont recommend live moss at this point; it's exhausting to keep going! Still lots of growing in to do.

My slippers are glorious, thank you very much! :p

I'll leave the video creation to those with good recording equipment and a more organized way of doing things haha! I'm too chaotic and artsy in general. Maybe a snippet here and there if I can't explain it with pictures, though. :unsure:

If you use FaceBook at all, I recommend you request to join the Reptile and Amphibian Bioactive Setup group! Lots of ideas, and a bunch if knowledgeable folks around to point you in the right direction. I'm a frequent lurker for inspiration!

"Forest edge" was kinda what I was going for in my first big build. I'm very attached to it, though it's flawed and there are many things I'd do a bit differently. I dont recommend live moss at this point; it's exhausting to keep going! Still lots of growing in to do.

View attachment 248463
I’ll join the group right now thank you!

Yeah, a lot of great builds on this site. There are a least a dozen different ones I want to try for my next enclosure

Back
Top Bottom