<3 the silks

You can only refridgerate them if you had moths lay eggs, not if you buy eggs (they cant go in and then out and back into refridgeration).
I have done this with store bought eggs. It worked. But like I said my hatch rate did see a drop. I bought 250 last time. Hatched out 125 the first week and had the others in fridge for anther week. Took those out a week later and we had hatchlings but not like the week before.

I bought feeders from rainbowmealworms.com. Along with the chow. Been reading up on starting a colony..think I'll try that soon.
Pro Tip: be careful to NOT burn the chow in the microwave. Good god, the smell...
I was mixing up a bowl of chow the other morning when my teenage son had a slumber party with friends. I had told them to come down and have some pancakes. When they got to the kitchen they mistook the chow I was mixing for pancake mix, the look on their faces was priceless! I went with it and told them it was kale pancakes, and had them smell it even, LMFAO. They were more than a little relieved when I showed them the actual bowl of regular pancake mix.

I was mixing up a bowl of chow the other morning when my teenage son had a slumber party with friends. I had told them to come down and have some pancakes. When they got to the kitchen they mistook the chow I was mixing for pancake mix, the look on their faces was priceless! I went with it and told them it was kale pancakes, and had them smell it even, LMFAO. They were more than a little relieved when I showed them the actual bowl of regular pancake mix.

My son would not forgive this. He hates the smell of the silkworm chow and it clearly disgusts him when he is eating! I think he'd give up pancakes for life.

Hmmm..... mulberry poptarts :p

Yeah, I'm down to 3 big worms and out of crickets....may have to raid the BSFL and super(armored)worm stashes...BTW, I was gifted a pure WHITE dubia in my last order. Bigger than the rest of the nymphs. Is this an archangel dubia, perchance?

I'ma def order some silkie eggs. My cham Pete is around 7 mos, so he's transitioning to feedings every other day. This has made his disposition even sunnier if thats possible.

Sorry, rambling..

My son would not forgive this. He hates the smell of the silkworm chow and it clearly disgusts him when he is eating! I think he'd give up pancakes for life.

My kids are used to this kind of crap from me, lol! My son is 14, how old is yours?

Hmmm..... mulberry poptarts :p

Yeah, I'm down to 3 big worms and out of crickets....may have to raid the BSFL and super(armored)worm stashes...BTW, I was gifted a pure WHITE dubia in my last order. Bigger than the rest of the nymphs. Is this an archangel dubia, perchance?

I'ma def order some silkie eggs. My cham Pete is around 7 mos, so he's transitioning to feedings every other day. This has made his disposition even sunnier if thats possible.

Sorry, rambling..

I'm guessing your white dubia was just newly molted? I always search for the white ones.

Are Silkworms safe to be a staple feeder for Panthers? I have seen both sides of this debated but would love to replace Dubia's with Silks (while still adding crickets and Dubias on occasion to mix things up).

My bf was complaining about the chow when I was making it yesterday. It just smells like mushed up leaf goop to me! You know, like when you're young playing outside and you decide to make leaf paste by pushing leaves between rocks...? No? Was I the only one....

Now that I think about it we may have had a massive mulberry tree in my yard as a child and this is why the smell is reminiscent of that :LOL: man, between that tree and all the rollie pollies I used to collect I could have been a rich child...

Back
Top Bottom