3 Months vs. 4 Month Veiled Cham?

AZJ0SH

I am finishing my enclosure up this weekend, and planning on ordering a chameleon from FLChams on Monday or Tuesday.

I am torn between ordering the 3 month old veiled from Newton, the blue veiled sire, or getting a standard 4 month veiled that is older and from what I read easier to care for since it's older?

I don't want to risk my chameleons health just to fulfill my desire to own a blue veiled, what would you do? Do you think I can care for a 3 month sucessfully?

If you have made sure you have everything you need to take care of the cham, you'll do great. You've already started out better than most...actually taking the time to get everything ready BEFORE buying the cham. That said, I'd go with Newton's offspring. My female is from him (purchased her last year) and she is awesome. I also have one of the normal chams from Mike. Both were "easy" to take care of.

I'm not sure about veilds...but there is only a slight size difference between my 3month old panther to when he was 4months.

I also think its the most amazing thing to watch him grow...I have pictures almost every week so I can see the difference.

You just gotta be sure to get smaller feeders. Also if you have a big cage he will probably need to be cup fed so he can find his food.

Hope that helps! Maybe someone who raises veilds will reply to you.

If you have made sure you have everything you need to take care of the cham, you'll do great. You've already started out better than most...actually taking the time to get everything ready BEFORE buying the cham. That said, I'd go with Newton's offspring. My female is from him (purchased her last year) and she is awesome. I also have one of the normal chams from Mike. Both were "easy" to take care of.

Thank you for the reply. I have preparing for this purchase for months, I have read a few books and lurked the forums, I feel I am 100% ready even though I will still prob ask a few questions down the line.

Did you have any problems training the chams to cup feed? He said he doesn't cup feed because that's for cats and dogs, not lizzards. I personally would like to cup feed to ensure the amount my cham is eating, and to keep them in 1 spot.

I disagree with having to cup feed.. I never have cup fed my chams, and i've had them in 2X2X4 cages since I purchased them. I just sat there watching them eat until they got their fill.

I think cup feeding is just making them lazy.. besides, there is nothing cooler than seeing the cham go from one side of the cage to the other and zap his tongue at a cricket, specially when they are tiny like at 3 months old.:D

I guess I can try letting them free range, I just don't want them to escape into my apartment, even though I am sure my cats would love to hunt the crix down.

haha, they will most likely climb to the top of the enclosure and the cham will be able to get them from there. As long as you have no holes in the enclosure, it shouldnt be a problem.

haha, they will most likely climb to the top of the enclosure and the cham will be able to get them from there. As long as you have no holes in the enclosure, it shouldnt be a problem.

No holes, so I think I should be fine. They can't eat through window screen can they? lol

My door on the front has hung a little off center, so I have a 1/16" gap on the door frame where it meets my enclosure, I plan on adding some sort of stripping to seal this up and I think I should be all set.

I am getting some pics up this weekend of the finished enclosure, I bought a digital camera from walmart this evening. I have the enclosure torn apart right now so I can get the drainage system all working.

I peronally have done both methods. I think its personal preference. Try both and see which works best for you.

I also had a cup, even when I free ranged the crickets, for worms. Other wise if they got free I wouldn't want beetles in my cage. Gross....

I always cup feed my little chams. When they have fall into my routine I switch to free range. There are benefits to both.

Thank you for the replies, since my cage is so large I plan on cup feeding until he's a little older and then mix it up with free range.

Back
Top Bottom