3 month old ambi not looking too good

reptoman

Avid Member
One of my 3 month old ambilobe babies is not looking well. Her belly is inflated and she has started closing her eyes. Her eyes are also looking a little sunk in. The head pads still look ok and I see her drinking. The rest of her clutchmates are doing great and I have not see anything like this in the other babies. Does this sound like impaction and if so any ideas on how to treat? Not sure how she would have gotten impacted. There is no debris or substrate in the bottom of the baby tub she is in and the largest feeder is a small dubia nymph. Nothing larger that the space between her eyes. Anyone seen this before and can offer advice before a vet visit. I noticed this problem 2 days ago. thanks

It could be impacted. I would fill a bottle with hot water and give it some extended misting sessions and see if you can get it to poop. If not, it needs to go to the vet quickly.

I will up the misting and see if I can get her to poop. I have also heard that putting a cham in a shallow pool of water will sometimes help with helping them poop. Do you think that would be an option for a 3 month old? I guess it could have been over feeding. I will cut back a little on the crickets and dubias. thanks

I read a blog (and Im pretty sure it was by Brad Ramsey but not sure) that if you puncture one of those fish oil pills and put a bit of it on a feeder, maybe a cricket or another treat like a silk worm, it would help.

A warm (not too warm though) shower is great for impaction.

There is also the possibility to put some oil on what your chameleon eat, but i dont remember what kind of oil. Of course, not car oil if you wondered! :p

Then again, it could be something else than impaction maybe... *shrug*

Fish oil or pre formed vitamin A deficiency can result in eye problems. However, In a chameleon as old as 3 months I cannot see this happening. There is plenty of nutrients in the yolk that will keep a youngster with the proper nutrients (provided the female who produced the clutch had the proper nutrients). In my opinion, you have a runt or weakling. Also in my opinion you should not baby it. There are so many on this forum that baby weaklings only for them to die in the long run or die sooner. What I would do if I had a chameleon that can handle the size of a weakling is feed it to another chameleon. Call it sad, call it morbid, call it what you will but babying these and then selling them only weakens the genetics of generations in chameleons.

A chameleon showing these problems at this age should be culled in my opinion. Especially a species that is produced over and over by novices.

Hey Brian. What you are looking for is linseed or flax seed oil. Use only a very small amount. If it is indeed an impaction, the oil should help. If it is something more serious, such as the impaction has turned into an obstruction or an anatomical problem with the bowel, there won't be much if any improvement. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom