24x24x48 and Reptisun 10.0

eppcheck

I have a female veiled chameleon about 5 months that actively utilizes the top 50% of her cage. I have read on other sites including zoo med's own catalog that the uvb rays from their reptisun 5.0 extends down to about 12". The 10.0 uvb rays extend about 20". I am considering buying the 10.0 so the UVB rays cover a larger area of her 24x24x48 reptibreeze enclosure. I have also provided plenty of foliage with basking spots for her to avoid the UVB if needed. Before doing this I of course wanted to consult with the expertise of the forum. My questions...

Does anyone else use 10.0 with sucess on a reptibreeze 4' tall enclosure?

Can this potentially be a health risk for the cham?

Does it even make any diffrence if you use 10.0 as long as you provide enough foliage and cover for the cham to escape UVB rays if needed?

I apologize if this has been discussed before but from my search results I wasn't able find any information that was helpful in me making a decision.

Thanks again

I think every one would peferably use the 5.0 as the 10.0 is much stronger, I think it could cause eye problems after a while, I use flexariums, quite similar to the reptibreeze, and I would always just use the normal 5.0.

Does she have perches and such things closer to the top of her cage where she can bask and all that?
I would personaly stick with the 5.0

Yes, she has branches anywhere between 6" to a 2 feet down. I have alot of horizontal branches crossing between my umbrella tree. Then I use biovines to connect them for her to manuver between her wanted location. I probably will stay with the 5.0 but just wanted know if the 10.0's range could potentially provide her with more options to bask while getting the right amount of UVB.

Thanks for the reply

My breeder specifically recomended the 5.0 The 10's can cause eye damage in some creatures. That doesn't mean it will every time, but better safe than sorry.

i use 10 on all my chams helps females with eggs and i use reptibreeze and gives an even lighting all over cage sstick with 5 in a small cage but a 10 is ok

Thanks for all the replies,

Just to explain my logic behind why i'm considering this is because its pretty well known/accepted fact that chameleons like to have as much room as possible. If a 5.0 reptisun fluorecent bulb can only extend in range 12" then the cham will be restricted to the top 25% of the cage (24x24x48) to receive its needed UVB rays. If she is provided toO much UVB from the 10.0 then enough plants/cover will allow the cham to avoid it. I was just thinking providing the extra range will allow her to utilize more of its cage for UVB and basking. She is pretty active anyways, but anything that makes her happier makes me happier too :D

But if it is a health risk then its out of question. I won't do it...just curious

UVB 10 Rep sun

I have a female veiled chameleon about 5 months that actively utilizes the top 50% of her cage. I have read on other sites including zoo med's own catalog that the uvb rays from their reptisun 5.0 extends down to about 12". The 10.0 uvb rays extend about 20". I am considering buying the 10.0 so the UVB rays cover a larger area of her 24x24x48 reptibreeze enclosure. I have also provided plenty of foliage with basking spots for her to avoid the UVB if needed. Before doing this I of course wanted to consult with the expertise of the forum. My questions...

Does anyone else use 10.0 with sucess on a reptibreeze 4' tall enclosure?

Can this potentially be a health risk for the cham?

Does it even make any diffrence if you use 10.0 as long as you provide enough foliage and cover for the cham to escape UVB rays if needed?

I apologize if this has been discussed before but from my search results I wasn't able find any information that was helpful in me making a decision.

Thanks again
Yep sounds right thats what I have read. go with it!!

I see what you mean. I think your chameleon will still get the benefit of the rest of your cage. He may only be getting that light in certain parts of your cage but that should be enough. He should still explore and play in the rest of the cage. When he's ready to soak up some rays he'll climb back to the top. Jalil spends most of his time in the top of the cage. He comes down to eat, or explore, or cool off and then he climbs right back.

My breeder specifically recomended the 5.0 The 10's can cause eye damage in some creatures. That doesn't mean it will every time, but better safe than sorry.

This is my main concen. It seems as if light sources whether it be blue, red, night bulbs all the way to coil uvb bulbs...they seem questionable and there are reports of causing health issues mainly with vision. My chams health is top priority. So, since we are on the subject anybody else read/heard/experience health problems using 10.0?

Thanks for all the replies,

Just to explain my logic behind why i'm considering this is because its pretty well known/accepted fact that chameleons like to have as much room as possible. If a 5.0 reptisun fluorecent bulb can only extend in range 12" then the cham will be restricted to the top 25% of the cage (24x24x48) to receive its needed UVB rays. If she is provided toO much UVB from the 10.0 then enough plants/cover will allow the cham to avoid it. I was just thinking providing the extra range will allow her to utilize more of its cage for UVB and basking. She is pretty active anyways, but anything that makes her happier makes me happier too :D

But if it is a health risk then its out of question. I won't do it...just curious

They aren't restricted to the top. When the animal comes up to the top to bask it will sit under it's heat lamp. Aiming the heat lamp at a slight angle is a good idea for simulating how they would see the sun. It will also be easier for them to bask vs. a lamp pointing straight down. It helps a lot if you put the 5.0 across the top center or just off center of the cage and aim your heat lamp 'under' the UVB.

here I drew this as an example.

The blue is representing UVB light and the yellow is heat and UVB light... see how they blend? The brown line is representing a vine or branch for a basking spot.

I don't have a reptibreeze, but I have the 4x2x2 lllreptile cage and I use a 10.0. It works really well for me. I put it at an angle towards the back half of the cage with the basking in the middle(slightly closer to the front) I have a pothos, schefflerra, many vines and fake plans for coverage if he needs it, but usually he stays in the center towards the top and basks(and probably soaks up some UVB)

I have an 8 month old panther by the way...

Use fixtures big enough to go across the whole top so the edges rest on the frame of your cage and not the screen. You can put the fixture catty corner if it is big enough. I get my fixtures at WalMart or Home Depot.

They aren't restricted to the top. When the animal comes up to the top to bask it will sit under it's heat lamp. Aiming the heat lamp at a slight angle is a good idea for simulating how they would see the sun. It will also be easier for them to bask vs. a lamp pointing straight down. It helps a lot if you put the 5.0 across the top center or just off center of the cage and aim your heat lamp 'under' the UVB.

here I drew this as an example.

The blue is representing UVB light and the yellow is heat and UVB light... see how they blend? The brown line is representing a vine or branch for a basking spot.

Thanks for this example. I definantely see how this can be very advantages for a cham to regulate both heat and uvb. How do you place your basking bulb at that angle? I'm assuming you use a ceiling hook?

Depends on the enclosure and surroundings. I use lights from LLL Reptile, both ceramic and their plastic version. These both come with clip attachments.. AKA clip lights. So If I can I clip the light to an upright to the racks or to the rack above the cage. In another case where I wasn't able to clip to anything I cut out two right angle triangles from Coroplast and put the long edge down with the point up. The rim of the lamp rests on the triangle aiming it up. I use two triangle because the lamp was trying to turn, the second one helps keep it stable.

IMG_1344.jpg

IMG_1345.jpg

IMG_1347.jpg

IMG_1348.jpg

Nice, thanks for posting the examples. I'm goin to start working on my lighting to simulate what you have done.

what size? I have a 30" fixture so have to use 24" bulb.

Back
Top Bottom