20% difference between my Digital Thermo / humidity meter VS. Analog Meter.

Haze367

So i am confused on which i should believe in my setup at this time. I have both a digital and analog and they both read WAAAY separate %'s. The probe for the digital is about 2" away from the analog meter. I don't believe the readings should be so far apart.

Digital reads: 67%
Analog reads: About 87%

Also, if the probe gets wet from a Misting will it give a mis-reading?

Haze..
20171231_202346.jpg
20171231_202351.jpg

From what I have experienced, if the probe gets wet, then it will offset the readings. I have an analog humidity gauge, and whenever it gets mist on it the humidity goes up, even if the humidity hasn't changed in the cage. If you want to make sure that one of them is off, you could fully dry them and place both gauges in a room with a humidifier. Then after 15 minutes or so, check the humidity levels. If they are the same, then you know that one of them was getting wet from the misting/dripper. If they are different, you might need to calibrate both of them, or get a new gauge to compare them to. Even though they are 2'' apart, one may be in more of a direct line of misting/dripper than the other. Hope this helps. Sorry if that was a little confusing

From what I have experienced, if the probe gets wet, then it will offset the readings. I have an analog humidity gauge, and whenever it gets mist on it the humidity goes up, even if the humidity hasn't changed in the cage. If you want to make sure that one of them is off, you could fully dry them and place both gauges in a room with a humidifier. Then after 15 minutes or so, check the humidity levels. If they are the same, then you know that one of them was getting wet from the misting/dripper. If they are different, you might need to calibrate both of them, or get a new gauge to compare them to. Even though they are 2'' apart, one may be in more of a direct line of misting/dripper than the other. Hope this helps. Sorry if that was a little confusing
Makes complete sense. I noticed this variance BEFORE i even sprayed down in there. =(

Darn it. I am not really sure. If I were in this predicament, I would buy new one/s depending on how pricey they were. They look high quality so I would be dissappointed too.

Those zoomed analog meters both humidity and temp are notoriously inaccurate. Great to get a rough idea, but I would never trust them. A good digital hygrometer with a sealed probe is the only way to go.

From everything I've read in the past, the analogs aren't that accurate. I've also read a few say that zoomed ins't in a few cases as well. I have one of these sitting near my cage but not in it though I got mine from Walmart for $15 or $19. http://www.basspro.com/shop/en/acur...itor?hvarAID=shopping_googleproductextensions . The temp has been with in 2 degrees of my homes thermostat and dead on with my thermometer temp probe that I use with my smoker( :LOL: ). The humidity has read the same as the readout on my dehumidifier. Though I would recommend leaving it in the cage during misting with out putting it someplace it won't get wet (I have done this in mine while testing), mine has been as close to accurate as I can get and should be enough to see how accurate your zoomed is. Then afterwards, pull it and leave it near your cage for your room ambient readings :D.

These are Brand new just got them today. :(
Oh that sucks! I am so sorry, I hate it when stuff like that happens. I am not really sure. I know that there is some way to calibrate them, but I do not know how that works. You could probably try looking it up. But I agree with @dshuld . That seems like it will work fine

Analog hygrometers have a bad reputation for being inaccurate. The probe on the digitals needs to be sheltered enough that water does not get into it. I keep mine out of direct spray from the mister. You can place it under an overhang or make a small plastic guard as an umbrella.

Analog hygrometers have a bad reputation for being inaccurate. The probe on the digitals needs to be sheltered enough that water does not get into it. I keep mine out of direct spray from the mister. You can place it under an overhang or make a small plastic guard as an umbrella.
That is what i did. A little overhang (umbrella)(y)

Back
Top Bottom