2 boys right?

farrahsc

I finally got my Bearded Pygmy Chams last week and I'm pretty sure they are both male from reading the sexing Pygmay's 101. I ordered them online and they were suppose to be one male and one female. They are housed together in this set up HERE, but with more branches added to it.

002-1.jpg

001-3.jpg

Oh my gosh lol. I had no idea, I just knew neither looked like the females in sexing pygmy's post. Is their care any different? Do I need to change anything? I'm going to email the site I bought them from and show them this post to see what can be done. I feel so bad I didn't know they weren't bearded pygmys.

My fear is the 2 males housed together. I so did not expect this. Are they common like the bearded?

Thank you ferret! They are super cute and eating well. I just can't believe this, I'm really shocked. This is the first time I've ordered animals online and think it will be my last lol. I feel so bad, I really hope I haven't totally screwed them up.

So they are more aggressive and need to be housed individually in screened inclosures? Boy I'm screwed lol.

Quote "The intermale aggression of these species is strong, more weakly in interspecific. Individual animals can be kept in well screened enclosures of 16 x 16 x 16 inches"

You don't need screen enclosures. They (like all pygmies) like humidity. They have similar care requirements to brevs but like it cooler and much more densely planted. Unlike my brevs, my temporalis do not utilize the basking area I provide for them. Be sure to provide adequate air flow though!!!

Where did you get them if you don't mine me asking?

So they are more aggressive and need to be housed individually in screened inclosures? Boy I'm screwed lol.

Quote "The intermale aggression of these species is strong, more weakly in interspecific. Individual animals can be kept in well screened enclosures of 16 x 16 x 16 inches"

That is geared towards housing males together in my opinion. What you need to do is contact the people who you purchased them from, and either get new ones to replace them, or ask if you can send one back and get a female.

Pssh: They seems to stay under the plants and I've only seen them on the sticks a few times. They only light I have on there is a 2.0 UVB. Temps at the top stay about 75-80 and around 70-75 on the bottom, humidity is around 90%. I have 3 live plants as well as crushed up dried leaves that I baked. I got them from Ryan at Underground Reptiles

Linkin: Yes I did email him just after seeing your guys first thoughts, I'm sure I will hear back from him tomorrow. My fear is since they are both males that they will end up hurting each other. I don't even know how I would go about sending one back. The costs of shipping would be more then I paid for him :(

The seller should handle shipping costs if he is a nice guy.

How big is your enclosure? You may be able to put a divider in it and still provide adequate room for both. They do really like to hide under plants and generally do not sit out in the open from what I have noticed. Some days I have to really search to make sure I still have all of them!! You should try to get the temps at the top down a little. Mine stay in the areas of the tank that are around 65 ambient right now and sometimes venture into the areas that are around 70-75.

2 males would probably be fine in a tank that size, just add some more leaves and sticks to the bottom so they can each have a zone/area to call their own.

No need for a big screen cage or anything like that.

UVB lamps do indeed give off heat, just not very much. You can always raise it a little. In the summer when it gets really hot and I can't keep the temps down (75 at the max) I will bury ice cubes in the dirt to create cool spots.

Thanks Pssh that's what I will do and see if that helps any. They are sleeping right now. I just feel so bad I didn't realize sooner. Poor little guys :(

UVB lamps do indeed give off heat, just not very much. You can always raise it a little. In the summer when it gets really hot and I can't keep the temps down (75 at the max) I will bury ice cubes in the dirt to create cool spots.

That's what I do too. Sometimes they'll hover around where the ice cubes are so I know they appreciate it. Putting the light up higher helps too.

Back
Top Bottom