1st time owner, would like opinion on enclosure

kungfugi

I'll be getting my 1st panther cham next week (Samabava, 2-3 months old, Name: Ichabod), and I was wondering how my enclosure is.
It's mostly just sticks (cleaned) with fake vines wrapped around, placed all over the cage. I have a few fake vines, a small umbrella plant, and I plan on getting a Pothos sometime in the nearish future.
Most of the sticks are only 1/4"-1/3", is that big enough for a chameleon to climb on?
Does it look like he will have enough cover?

Thanks in advanced.

P.S. The cage is still not completely finished

Attachments

• 2013-02-16 15.34.45.jpg
    2013-02-16 15.34.45.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 144
  • 2013-02-16 15.35.03.jpg
    2013-02-16 15.35.03.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 175
I'll be getting my 1st panther cham next week (Samabava, 2-3 months old, Name: Ichabod), and I was wondering how my enclosure is.
It's mostly just sticks (cleaned) with fake vines wrapped around, placed all over the cage. I have a few fake vines, a small umbrella plant, and I plan on getting a Pothos sometime in the nearish future.
Most of the sticks are only 1/4"-1/3", is that big enough for a chameleon to climb on?
Does it look like he will have enough cover?

Thanks in advanced.

P.S. The cage is still not completely finished

Hello, and welcome!

I would recommend some more plant coverage. This may be improved once you add the Pothos. But they really do like having areas they can go to hide if necessary. Those sticks will be large enough, however as the cham grows, you may consider adding some larger diameters. But varying diameters is always good for the muscles in their feet.

I would recommend checking out the care section on this forum for great base level tips. See the link in my signature.

Let us know if you have any other questions!

I figured that I would need more cover. I have a hanging plastic plant in my snake tank, would that be alright for a few weeks if I hang it on/over a bunch of sticks?
As for the thicker sticks, I did plan on getting a few when he got bigger. Couldn't find any to buy and no tools to make my own haha Would those large exo terra fake vines be thick enough? I have 2 medium ones in my cage right now.

I think this is really a great start. Plenty of pathways for your cham to utilize the full space of his cage.

I would just add one additonal bushy plant to give your cham a some good places to hide. An umbrella plant would work great.

Great job doing your research and set up prior to getting your first chams, kudos!:D

I noticed some people just use wooden dowels with thumb tacks holding them to the screen. Check out the enclosure pictures thread for some ideas.

Foliage more Foliage and then a little more Foliage :) The more foliage the better, gotta leave as little open space as possible, fake and live plants help a lot with that. But honestly you want it packed in there, they love it. And welcome to the forums!!

So what are saying is I might need more foliage :) I'll start off by getting another fake plant. The greenhouse is a little difficult to get to but I'm going to get a pothos as soon as I can.
I was thinking about using dowels but I like making things look real/natural. I will probably get one for temporary use though.
I always do a lot of research before getting things. I just got my first cornsnake a few months ago and did the same thing.

Lastly, you guys are so nice and awesome haha :)

This is fine. Youll want to get a live tree, and at least one pothos in there as well though.

Id recommend not using fake stuff at all.

Theres nothing wrong with it, as long as you have real stuff mixed in, but its just easier(In my opinion) and more natural to go, all natural.

It will depend on the age (size) of the chameleon, as far as what size diameter branches/vines is best to use.

Generally, providing many sizes is best. This way the chameleon gets more of a thorough and natural "work-out" throughout the day/as it grows.

However, you wouldnt want to provide mostly/all large size climbing surfaces for a baby chameleon, and you wouldnt want to provide small branches for a large chameleon. This is something that will need to change over time, with the animal.

Youll want to clean out the cage once a month anyhow, and if working with only natural branches and live plants, it makes it easy to assess and change things month to month as needed.

Welcome to the forum.

Okay, so I got a plant and some thicker vine/sticks. Here is my final enclosure. Or very nearly finished. Just have a few finishing touches to do.

Attachments

• 2013-02-26 14.25.13.jpg
    2013-02-26 14.25.13.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 94
Back
Top Bottom