1st Chameleon. A little worried.

Lizalfos

This is my first Chameleon and I am trying to do everything correctly to make sure he/she is healthy. I'm not sure if male or female. Not sure the age because I got he/she from PetSmart and the associate had no idea and could not answer any of my questions.

There seems to be skin flaking off on the top of his head and I am worried about a burn. Please help!! I am just worried because I do not know the difference between a burn and shedding.

I've had him for 2 weeks (calling a male for the sake of the question). I have handled once to thoroughly clean cage.

Cage: 16X16X30
Humidity:80%
Temp: 73°F (mid-cage) 80-85°F (top of cage basking area). Ambient night temp is approx. 68°F.
Lighting: uvb and basking light (12 hrs on and 12 hrs off on a timer)
Basking area: approx. 7" below light.
Misting: 2X daily.
Water: dripper running for approx 15 min. 2-3X daily.
Feeding: 10-15 crickets daily (gut loaded with organic kale) calcium w/out D3 every feeding and reptivite once a week with D3. 2-3 superworms 1X/wk as a treat.

I do not leave dead crickets in the cage and clean fecal matter immediately as soon as I see or hear it.

I do not notice any strange behavior and he is ok with me being near or in his cage to clean. But I do not try to touch him so as to not stress him out. He gets stressed when my gf gets close though .

Attachments

• IMG_20190224_191802392.jpg
    IMG_20190224_191802392.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_20190224_191849948.jpg
    IMG_20190224_191849948.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_20190210_113506388.jpg
    IMG_20190210_113506388.jpg
    279 KB · Views: 182
That looks like shed. It worries me a little that you haven't done enough research to know if it is male or female. Veileds are very easy to tell. Go to the care sheets on this website. It will tell you everything you need to know!

(s)he seems to be in very good shape, appearance wise.

Looks like a girl from the pics, but need a close-up of the rear foot to be sure. As for the gutload, try to mix it up a bit. Too much of one thing is not good.

He/she is shedding skin if its still young it will shed skin much more often every 3 to 4 weeks but if its an adult it might shed every two months. I think you should take your chameleon to the doctor that way you may found out if its a male or a female.

That looks like shed. It worries me a little that you haven't done enough research to know if it is male or female. Veileds are very easy to tell. Go to the care sheets on this website. It will tell you everything you need to know!

(s)he seems to be in very good shape, appearance wise.

Well, I thought the research I did prior to getting my chameleon was sufficient as I did not notice any tarsal Spurs while initially inspecting at the store and saw a noticably smaller cask compared to images of a mature male counterpart; however the "professional" advised me it was a male which caused some confusion. Thank you for your prompt response.

Well, I thought the research I did prior to getting my chameleon was sufficient as I did not notice any tarsal Spurs while initially inspecting at the store and saw a noticably smaller cask compared to images of a mature male counterpart; however the "professional" advised me it was a male which caused some confusion. Thank you for your prompt response.

He he, professional :D. If you see this...

1551059538634.png
Boy,

If not, Girl.

If not sure, post a clear picture of that area on your chameleon.

You've got great advice already. Normal shedding and nothing to worry about. They grow very fast and will shed a lot. Burns would look dark. You're off to a great start. Congrats!

Back
Top Bottom