13 hour days

chloe924

So I live in the UK where we have the delights of Daylight Savings time. When the clocks went back I changed my Chameleons times to match, but after a few weeks of him stubbornly sticking to the same schedule, gave up and returned everything to what it was. That ended up being very convenient as he would be up and basking before I woke up and I was able to feed him calci worms/ let him out onto his free range for at least half an hr every morning to poop and stretch his legs.

Now the clocks have jumped forward again I'm unable to do most of that in the time I have. I have debated pushing his timing back again as he does like to settle in his sleep spot a good while before lights off anyhow. Or, since daylight lengthens in the summer naturally, would it be ok to add an hr to his day?
Thanks!

So I live in the UK where we have the delights of Daylight Savings time. When the clocks went back I changed my Chameleons times to match, but after a few weeks of him stubbornly sticking to the same schedule, gave up and returned everything to what it was. That ended up being very convenient as he would be up and basking before I woke up and I was able to feed him calci worms/ let him out onto his free range for at least half an hr every morning to poop and stretch his legs.

Now the clocks have jumped forward again I'm unable to do most of that in the time I have. I have debated pushing his timing back again as he does like to settle in his sleep spot a good while before lights off anyhow. Or, since daylight lengthens in the summer naturally, would it be ok to add an hr to his day?
Thanks!
I'm in the UK too. I've left my timers alone but if you want to change, I would say to do it in small increments over a week or two.

There's nothing we can do about the daylight, it's only the basking and UV. Both of mine are awake well before the lights come on, even with the blinds closed. It just makes it harder for us on feeds etc as most have to leave for work.

Just go with a gradual shift.

(I'm on early or late shifts so it's not so bad for me)

I match my lights to sunrise/sunset once a month. I have it so they turn on about 30 minutes after the sun comes up in the morning and 30 minutes before it gets dark. I also have my dim uvb come on first, go off last, followed by my plants lights an hour later, followed by my basking an hour after that. Probably not necessary, but seems the most natural way of doing it.

I match my lights to sunrise/sunset once a month. I have it so they turn on about 30 minutes after the sun comes up in the morning and 30 minutes before it gets dark. I also have my dim uvb come on first, go off last, followed by my plants lights an hour later, followed by my basking an hour after that. Probably not necessary, but seems the most natural way of doing it.

And I thought I spoiled my cham :rolleyes:.....:)

Thats the main reason I got rid of all my alarm clock(too noisy) back then,why bother I said " let there be light across all cages in sequence symphony"

@chloe924 Personally, for keeping things simple, I don't touch my timers no matter what time of year it is. If the lights don't turn on in the morning before I need to get feeders ready for my cham, I use a headlamp (like for camping) to get everything ready for my chameleon, including putting the feeders inside his cage. Granted, I use a home-made feeder cup so most feeders don't get far/escape/etc. Everyone's different, so this may or may not work for you, but I thought this might at least offer another approach to the overall issue.

It works for me especially as my cham has gotten older and I only need to feed him a few times a week. I also use the headlamp at night if I go in to gutload any feeders or if I want to clean anything...basically if I want to do anything without waking up my chameleon, haha! Anyone who witnesses me thinks I'm a crazy person, but that's what we do for our chams. :)

Back
Top Bottom