12 week male veiled health question

ridsdale

rectly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Current Problem – I’m just looking for some reassurance to be honest. This is my second chameleon and my first one was a bit of a disaster so I’m nervous about issues recurring. I bought the first chameleon about 6 weeks ago (a 6 month female veiled – husbandry was the same minus the live plants and mistking) and within 6 days it was showing pronounced symptoms of a respiratory infection and dehydration. The first noticeable symptom was yawning in the morning which was then followed by extreme lethargy. I took her to my regular reptile vet (I have a beardie and Western Hognose as well) ASAP who implied (but could not prove) that she probably either already had the infection and the stress of re-homing her aggravated the issue. The vet said that he doubts the shop would have been aware of the issue which I can confirm because they have very detailed records on all of the reptiles they sell. I would like to stress that the shop I bought her from has an outstanding reputation and is involved with zoo breeding programmes across the country. Then next week involved me getting up at 5am to drip feed her electrolytes (she stopped eating and drinking), nebulising her to relieve the fluid in her lungs and giving her a treatment of antibiotics. After a few days she seemed to improve but unfortunately she wasn’t strong enough to survive.

I have spent the last month pouring over every possible husbandry issue that could have been a factor in her death. I have disinfected everything that was in the vivarium with a reptile safe disinfectant that was recommended by my vet. I have introduced live plants and the mistking system.

Now to my issue – the new chameleon that I picked up on the weekend (the reptile shop supplied me with another from a reputable breeder) has seemed alert and health. He is just finishing a shed. This morning, as the mistking system was running, I saw him yawn. Which caused a minor panic attack because now I’m worried that I may have made him ill as well. Am I being paranoid? Or is this normal behaviour in the morning?

Any suggestions you could give me would be greatly appreciated as I lack the experience of owning chameleons to judge the situation

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon – 12 week male Veiled Chameleon, had it for 2 days
Handling – I have not handled him yet as I’m leaving him acclimate to the new surroundings
Feeding – He refused to eat yesterday but today cup fed him 8-10 small crickets and left a few free range in the enclosure for him to hunt. They are gut loading on ProRep gutload
Supplements – My planned supplementation schedule is Calcium w/o D3 3-4x a week, Calcium with D3 and Multivitamin 2x a month
Watering – I have installed a Mistking system that runs for 2 mins at 8am (30 mins after lights on), 12pm, 4pm and 30 secs at 6pm. I ensure that there is adequate drying out between misting. I have not seen him drink yet
Fecal Description – Yesterday it seemed like he was slightly dehydrated (to be expected after being re-homed)
History - None

Cage Info:

Cage Type – 3’x2’x2’ wooden vivarium with a modified screen door for airflow (due to the size of the chameleon I have lowered everything and will raise it as it grows)
Lighting – 100 watt spot bulb located at the top of the viv aimed at the basking spot and a 5.0 linear bulb for UVB (lowered to the appropriate height for basking)
Temperature – His basking spot is* approximately 80 degrees f and the cage floor is about 70 degrees. The lowest overnight temp would be approx 65 degrees f because I have a ceramic heater on a thermostat to ensure consistent night temps. I measure these temperatures with a digital thermometer gun
Humidity – Humidity is maintained via the Mistking and live plants – I am unsure of the exact humidity
Plants – Yes – pothos, coffee plant (small), parlour palm (small), babys tears, umbrella plant (his basking spot), weeping fig.
Placement – The vivarium is located in my bedroom
Location – South Wales

Sometimes when they're shedding they'll yawn like that to try to loosen the shedding skin. If you see him/her gaping while not under the heat lamp, hear popping/crackling noises, labored breathing or see excess stringy saliva then I would worry that it could be a respiratory infection. I'm sure some of the more experienced folks will come along and help. :) But, if it's just one yawn, I wouldn't worry too much.

I wouldn't worry too much like Melissa said. A yawn can just be a yawn and not be caused by any underlining issue. Keep an eye on him which I assume you already are and just make sure that he doesn't show any of the other signs that could mean an URI.

Thank you for getting back to me. Its much appreciated! I've kept a close eye on him and I think it was just me being paranoid. Then again, like my vet always says "there's nothing wrong with a bit of healthy paranoia".

Welcome to the "Club of Paranoia" It seems to come with the territory of owning chameleons! lol I do agree with the others and on occasion they will open their mouths like that.. Most likely nothing to worry about. Try to relax and enjoy your new chameleon.:)

My little Veiled seems to yawn each morning at least once while waking up (within 5-10 minutes of me turning on the lights). Then, he has a way of "working" his skin through a series of stretches he does (Opening his mouth wide like a yawn and wriggling his body side to side like a snake or just leaning forward and up like an upward facing dog pose in yoga). They seem to be a daily habit/routine of him and increase only when he is shedding.

Back
Top Bottom