10 Month Veiled eating Majesty Palm and Japanese Aralia!

Thatwizard420

Chameleon Enthusiast
Are those plants safe... I looked them up but didn't find anything on the topic.... He seems to eat them every morning. He used to eat my fig but it ran out of leaves.. He ate them all... He only does this in the morning and when they're wet. He doesn't touch my pothos at all.

Are those plants safe... I looked them up but didn't find anything on the topic.... He seems to eat them every morning. He used to eat my fig but it ran out of leaves.. He ate them all... He only does this in the morning and when they're wet. He doesn't touch my pothos at all.
So I’ll give you a really muddied answer. unfortunately we really don’t have a definitive answer on what plants are toxic for chams or veiled in particular. There is very few cases of plant poisoning that can be 100 percent confirmed to actually be from ingesting the plant. Fact is we rarely see it. the plant safe list is just so you know for sure those plants have been tested and seem to have no negative effects. But honestly we really don’t know. All I can say is stay away from any plant with strong smells, sappy sticky residues, or if you want to be super safe can only use the plants they list. But their are quite a few different lists and they all have different plants.

Ok knowing this, I want to see if anybody Has use this plants in their vivariums and their experiences with it.. He seems to be doing ok, he poops normal, urinates like always.... He loves his palm!!! Especially here in AZ where temps are starting to get in the hundreds.

Ok knowing this, I want to see if anybody Has use this plants in their vivariums and their experiences with it.. He seems to be doing ok, he poops normal, urinates like always.... He loves his palm!!! Especially here in AZ where temps are starting to get in the hundreds.
Do you have him in an outdoor enclosure?

As far as the plants.. You won't know unless he gets sick all the sudden or dies... This is why most of us stick very close to the 5 plants that have been known to be ok for Veileds since they eat everything.

For the most part I use this as a guide line.

https://flchams.com/chameleon-safe-plant-list/

The other thing I do is make sure to provide greens to my veiled everyday. This does not stop hm from eating the plants but it reduces it significantly.
FYI.... Their plant list is not actually a cham list. It is a list compiled of the plants that are dog and cat safe. :(

Do you have him in an outdoor enclosure?

As far as the plants.. You won't know unless he gets sick all the sudden or dies... This is why most of us stick very close to the 5 plants that have been known to be ok for Veileds since they eat everything.
hes indoor, but since inside my house is like 90 degrees he doesnt basks all that much
he likes roaming his cage and staying under the palm..... as soon as i get close to his cage, he comes to me and wants to get out and start climbing our flower painting we have lol.. I saw him drink water fro the first time. he shoots his tongue at the dripper.

hes indoor, but since inside my house is like 90 degrees he doesnt basks all that much
he likes roaming his cage and staying under the palm..... as soon as i get close to his cage, he comes to me and wants to get out and start climbing our flower painting we have lol.. I saw him drink water fro the first time. he shoots his tongue at the dripper.
If your house is that hot and you can not buy an air conditioning unit you should be turning off the basking light and only leaving the uvb fixture.

FYI.... Their plant list is not actually a cham list. It is a list compiled of the plants that are dog and cat safe. :(

That may be true but given the fact we do not have a concrete list, is why I said to use it as a general guide line. Likely the avoided plants on the list are due to the chance dogs and cats may eat the plant, then this is a similar problem with veileds.

That may be true but given the fact we do not have a concrete list, is why I said to use it as a general guide line. Likely the avoided plants on the list are due to the chance dogs and cats may eat the plant, then this is a similar problem with veileds.
Right I am just saying that the list is not actually cham specific... What may be on there could very well be safe for Panthers or other species that do not eat their plants like Veileds do however when it comes to my Veiled I tend to stick to this list https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/plants/

So Japanese a Aralia is in the safe list.... Not the palm... I don’t wanna take it out cuz he Loves that palm
I bet you can find a tree similar that is known safe. Money trees are nice and also a ficus benjamina. Honestly I think that sometimes we’re overly cautious in this area but also that being said sometimes it’s better safe than sorry, and to leave the experiments to the breeders.

Back
Top Bottom