1 Month Veiled Chameleon Napping

Metal725

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - 1 Month old Male Veiled Chameleon
Handling - Only when cleaning the cage or outside when im giving him sun
Feeding - Calcium dusted crickets. He eats a couple and then loses interest.
Supplements - I just got him last weekend so he doesnt have a schedule yet but ive been giving him Exo Terra Calcium w/o D3 every day and plan on using Exo Terra Calcium with D3 twice a month and Multivitamins twice a month.
Watering - I mist the cage 3x a day and he seems to get perked up and drinks a good amount every time.
Fecal Description - Brown and white

Cage Info:
Cage Type - 18x12x20 Screened Cage
Lighting - 18" Zoo Med hood with a Reptisun 5.0 bulb and a 60 Watt Red bulb ONLY if the night temps get too low. 12 hrs on/12 hrs off.
Temperature - 85-90F in the basking spot (low 80's towards the bottom) during the day and 70-75F at night. Using the Zoo Med Thermometer/Humidity combo.
Humidity - Around 40% during the day and around 60% at night. ReptiFogger is on its way so that should hopefully help this issue.
Plants - Fake plants
Placement - About 3 feet from the floor in our spare bedroom across the room from a window thats almost always closed.
Location - California

Current Problem - We have had our 1 month old Male Veiled Chameleon for about 3 days now and he only eats a couple crickets a day and naps on and off for maybe 3-5 minutes at a time. He perks up when i feed or water the cage but loses interest after about 10-15 minutes. I bought some Flightless Fruit Flies today and he literally ran around the cage snatching them up one by one. Could his napping be caused by a new home, he is a baby, and possibly a different diet than what the breeder was feeding him? Or is it from him not having much interest and energy from not eating much? I just started the fruit fly feeding today so im hoping this will solve the problem. Im also hoping the fogger helps too. Sorry if im rambling but im still new to this and just wanting to make sure im doing everything right. Thanks for any help.

I'm not an expert, but I would definitely suggest getting a 5.0 UVB bulb, and get rid of the night light. Your temps seem a little high for a baby.

Do not use any light at night time. Chams need darkness in order to get proper sleep. Your temps can get down into the 50's no problem and it will not hurt the chameleon at night.

What are you using for your basking bulb?

Why are you getting the fogger? Your humidity is already in the correct range for a veiled.

What size were the crickets that you tried feeding? They should have been pinheads if anything. Keep the prey small for now, use pinheads and the flightless fruit flies until he is a little older and then you can move up to 1/4" crickets.

I am suspecting that the stress of the new home, not eating, and the light at night is why he is napping.

The red bulb was only going to be used at night if the temps got too low so I havent used it yet. Guess I wont be needing it and can return the fixture.

I am using a 50watt Repti Basking Spot Lamp

I got the fogger because I was previously told that my daytime humidity was low. 40% during the day is fine?

When I bought the crickets, they only had small and not pinheads so I pretty much only fed him the smallest ones.

Thanks for the help and I will be sure to check out your link.

Back
Top Bottom