1 Month Old Veiled Chameleon Not Eating

nothing.
or reptile carpet.

Thanks! :) You are very helpful! What can I do about it since I think she ate some of the aspen? Anything to clean out her system? Also, what kinda screen or mesh cage do you recommend? Any cheap options online?

also, i dont think that basking bulb, is an all in one.

i looked up powersun 100 watt, and it doesnt say uvb.
it says uv, but not uvb,

Nothing you can do now but hope she passes it easily.

i would go with a reptibreeze or exoterra cage.
you can find them on amazon, or from our site sponsors. upper right corner, click view our sponsors.

and i woudl get a 2x2x3 cage.

also, she can lay eggs as early as 6 months old, and without seeing or breeding with a male.

so you need to plan for a laying bin.

also, i dont think that basking bulb, is an all in one.

i looked up powersun 100 watt, and it doesnt say uvb.
it says uv, but not uvb,

Nothing you can do now but hope she passes it easily.

i would go with a reptibreeze or exoterra cage.
you can find them on amazon, or from our site sponsors. upper right corner, click view our sponsors.

and i woudl get a 2x2x3 cage.

also, she can lay eggs as early as 6 months old, and without seeing or breeding with a male.

so you need to plan for a laying bin.

Thanks! It is an all in one. It says it on the box and even says UVB. Can you link me to one that is cheap and sufficient for her? Thanks! I really want to get her what she needs!

more bad advice

Lighting - I use Powersun UV 100 W. About 10 hours a day. this bulb is probably too much for her, females, esp babies, need basking temps at 80, and yes i know you say it is at 80, but how are you measuring that? what uvb bulb are you using? any uvb bulb at all? if not, you need one ASAP.

The Powersun is a UVB light:rolleyes: My 10 year old daughter knows that
If you don't know what your talking about you shouldn't give out advice!

Cage Type - Glass, 20 gallon tall tank. this is the wrong set up, thats for fish, not reptiles. get a mesh/screen cage that is taller than it is wide. 2x2x3 is good.

At only a month she is fine in the fish tank most all reputable breeders keep baby chameleons in tanks there first month or two They like the higher humidity and they don't yet mind seeing themselves in the glass after 2-3 months they need there own cags screen or free range
She will be fine in a 18''x18''x36'' or a 24''x24''x48'' screen cage

they don't make screen cages this size2x2x3

Also make sure she has alot of vines of different thickness other wise screen cages lead to many missing toes look in to free range caging on this site.

Supplements - I use Rep-Cal Calcium with Vitamin D.your supplement schedule is wrong. she needs calcium without d3 for every feeding, calcium with d3 twice a month, multivitamin twice a month

WOW this is crazy wrong do not give your chameleon calcium every feeding

here look at what chameleonforums.com very own vet has to say

I know that someone will ask what I am doing for my chams. So here it is. I have no real reason for this protocol other than it is similar to that used by some successful cham breeders.

I change my UVB lighting every 6 months. (probably unnecessary)
Gut-load with WER carrots, romaine, and orange
Juviniles Calcium w/o D3 twice a week
Multivitamin twice a week
Adults- Calcium w/o D3 once a week
Multivitamin once a month
Females (gravid) –Calcium w/o D3 twice a week
Multivitamin once to twice a week

see everything he has to say on cal here
https://www.chameleonforums.com/supplementation-mbd-1-a-2451/

the ONE thing about not handling her twice a day is correct they should be looked at not touched
I would wait till shes 3-4 months before any handling and then I would keep it short once a day at most

You should not have be sold a 1 month old veiled chameleon. I don't wholesale mine out to distributors intill they are 3 months of age . These guy have 20 + years dealing with reptiles and they don't want them intill there at least 3 months there just to delicate at that age .

You also need to read up on dealing with all the eggs shes going to be laying and prepair yourself for her very short life span as well. Males are really the only way to go as a "pet" veiled.

The Powersun is a UVB light:rolleyes: My 10 year old daughter knows that
If you don't know what your talking about you shouldn't give out advice!

Gee, sorry I am not familiar with that brand. no reason to make snide coments.

At only a month she is fine in the fish tank most all reputable breeders keep baby chameleons in tanks there first month or two They like the higher humidity and they don't yet mind seeing themselves in the glass after 2-3 months they need there own cags screen or free range
She will be fine in a 18''x18''x36'' or a 24''x24''x48'' screen cage
not a single breeder im aware of, or ANY member here has used a fishtank, or recommends using fish tanks. and for the record, no one here says that a reflection can cause stress.
they don't make screen cages this size2x2x3

Also make sure she has alot of vines of different thickness other wise screen cages lead to many missing toes look in to free range caging on this site.

WOW this is crazy wrong do not give your chameleon calcium every feeding

here look at what chameleonforums.com very own vet has to say

wow, you post a thread from over 5 years ago... ill believe that. NTM every person on this forum who is worth their salt uses the schedule I stated. We all supplement juveis and adults the same way. no one has EVER recommended that schedule.

see everything he has to say on cal here
https://www.chameleonforums.com/supplementation-mbd-1-a-2451/

the ONE thing about not handling her twice a day is correct they should be looked at not touched
I would wait till shes 3-4 months before any handling and then I would keep it short once a day at most

You should not have be sold a 1 month old veiled chameleon. I don't wholesale mine out to distributors intill they are 3 months of age . These guy have 20 + years dealing with reptiles and they don't want them intill there at least 3 months there just to delicate at that age .

You also need to read up on dealing with all the eggs shes going to be laying and prepair yourself for her very short life span as well. Males are really the only way to go as a "pet" veiled.

Your snide comments are neither warrented nor needed. i gave advice that every other member on this forum has given me and many other members here.

Constructive criticism is fine, being a smartass is not.

just cause a 14 year old tells you something doesn't make it true .

wow, you post a thread from over 5 years ago... ill believe that. NTM every person on this forum who is worth their salt uses the schedule I stated. We all supplement juveis and adults the same way. no one has EVER recommended that schedule.

In 5 years that was the only peice of advice on this site about supplements/food worth being made into a sticky .

just cause a 14 year old tells you something doesn't make it true .

In 5 years that was the only peice of advice on this site about supplements/food worth being made into a sticky .

what 14 year old are you talking about???

I was talking about Laurie, Hoj, Carol5208, Jannb, sandrachameleon. they have used the same schedule and given the same information as i did.

i gave advice that every other member on this forum has given me and many other members here.

I like how You speak for everyone on this site or is it everyone in the world.

:rolleyes: Anymore tips guys? She isn't moving much now. :/ Any feeding tips? Or tips on how to get her more comfortable?

:rolleyes: Anymore tips guys? She isn't moving much now. :/ Any feeding tips? Or tips on how to get her more comfortable?

what time is it where you are at?

Are you sure of her basking temp?

try adding more foliage to give her more hiding spots. they like to be hard to find. makes them feel safer .

what time is it where you are at?

Are you sure of her basking temp?

try adding more foliage to give her more hiding spots. they like to be hard to find. makes them feel safer .

It is 10 p.m. and yes I am sure. She likes to stay in this plant I have hanging on the tank though.

I like how You speak for everyone on this site or is it everyone in the world.

we speak as a collective on this forums from knowledge passed on that has been succsessful in the care and keeping of specific species of chameleons, the schedule you have reccomended has been updated since that time..at the age of 14 i learned how to care for my chameleons quite well (that was 16 years ago) and will attest to camimoms prowess in keeping chameleons, and also taking sound advice and applying it..

powersun 100watt bulbs do produce uvb and uva in combonation, i use them for very large free range set ups as they will be much to intense for a small glass aquarium..you will need to change the set up to a screen cage as camimom reccomended, it would be a wise choise..also the calcium schedge i use it this..

calcium without d3 every feeding

calcium with d3 twice a month

multivites twice a month

for smaller screen cages 2x2x4

i would use the linear or "tube" style uvb

and for a basking site i would use a 40-60 watt standard house bulb

babies dehydraite quickly and fare off better with lower temps 73-76 ambient with around 78-83 degree basking site..

hope all that helps

p.s. wax worms and mealworms should be used as treats only..:D:D:D:D

I also have a one month old jackson. Had him about a week. I tried the small crickets but had no luck, they were just to big. I have good luck with fruitflies. Mine is still a little clumsy and slow so I hold the flies in front of him with a pair of tweezers and he will eat 2-3 at a time like that. Hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom