Zoomeds Powersun H.I.D reviews/information

Hi everyone hope everyone is staying safe and healthy, I am currently building my new buddies habitat and as i am doing so i am purchasing the necessary essentials he will require. I have purchased a zoomed deluxe porcelain 8 1/2 clamp lamp and the Powersun light bulb. But i have a few questions regarding using Zoomed Powersun HID for lighting your chameleons habitat. First does anyone or has anyone used it? If so what are your reviews regarding this light bulb and do you recommend it? Also what pros and cons? Can it be used right on top of cage or does it need to be handing to avoid any accidents?

Hi everyone hope everyone is staying safe and healthy, I am currently building my new buddies habitat and as i am doing so i am purchasing the necessary essentials he will require. I have purchased a zoomed deluxe porcelain 8 1/2 clamp lamp and the Powersun light bulb. But i have a few questions regarding using Zoomed Powersun HID for lighting your chameleons habitat. First does anyone or has anyone used it? If so what are your reviews regarding this light bulb and do you recommend it? Also what pros and cons? Can it be used right on top of cage or does it need to be handing to avoid any accidents?
Actually you don’t want to use these bulbs. The UVB doesn’t reach as far. You need a linear bulb. Like the T8 reptisun.

Hi there. These are not used for chams. When used they should only be used with a solarmeter 6.5 to check the UVI level at basking. Not only do they push out very high levels of UVB they produce quite a bit of heat.

Actually you don’t want to use these bulbs. The UVB doesn’t reach as far. You need a linear bulb. Like the T8 reptisun.
Your thinking of a compact bulb. This is not that. And depending on species a T5HO is typically more widely recommended instead of a T8.

Your thinking of a compact bulb. This is not that. And depending on species a T5HO is typically more widely recommended instead of a T8.
Oooh, okay. I didn’t know that the T5 are better, I’ll look Into those.

so just ignore what I said

What about the reptisun fluorescent light bulb? Is this recommended if you don’t have the t5ho fixture?
around my area theres a bit of a shortage in stuff and these Fixtures seemed to be out in many of the pet stores near me.

Lightyourreptiles.com is where I got my T5ho fixture and bulbs

UVB-Map-Arcadia-UVB-FZone-3-Rev-D.jpg

Source of image: chameleon academy website. A ton of great info there

Oooh, okay. I didn’t know that the T5 are better, I’ll look Into those.

so just ignore what I said
What about the reptisun fluorescent light bulb? Is this recommended if you don’t have the t5ho fixture?
around my area theres a bit of a shortage in stuff and these Fixtures seemed to be out in many of the pet stores near me.

Hi I will just respond here to both of you. So this is a compact bulb... These produce a small bubble shape of UVB within about 3-5 inches of the bulb. Visible light further but the actual uvb stops past that point. The cham would have to be sitting within a few inches of the bulb which then in turn would be way too close for heat creating a thermal burn risk. Also they chameleon would not have any UVB unless it was right on the bulb. This is why chameleons that have these bulbs end up developing MBD and becoming extremely sick.
Screen Shot 2020-05-27 at 7.14.12 AM.png

This is a powersun bulb. These are called Mercury Vapor bulbs... They can produce very high UVB output and very high heat. The only time chameleon keepers will use these is on large free range set ups or very large enclosures. Not the standard cage size. So to use one of these on a small cage is overkill. You will over radiate a chameleon with UVB if you do not have a solarmeter to know your exact distances for placement.

Screen Shot 2020-05-27 at 7.14.20 AM.png

Then you have the T8 linear fixture. These run cooler. They are a better bulb as far as being a linear bulb. So it can be placed across the width of the cage but they do not put out as much UVB. knowing your distances for approximate placement is extremely important when using these. They are commonly used for montaine species that need a lower UVB level.

Screen Shot 2020-05-27 at 7.24.51 AM.png

Then there is the T5HO fixture and bulb. These are linear and the bulbs are smaller in diameter then a T8. They are stronger. Produce better UVB levels for cages. The bulbs strength you pick is dependent on the fixture type, reflector, and how planted out your cage is.

Here is a link that explains uvb better. There are even charts so you can see your exact distance depending on the bulb strength and fixture. Hope all that makes a bit more sense for yall. Lighting is a bit overwhelming when your new. :)

https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-cage-set-up-replicating-the-sun/

Last edited:
Hi I will just respond here to both of you. So this is a compact bulb... These produce a small bubble shape of UVB within about 3-5 inches of the bulb. Visible light further but the actual uvb stops past that point. The cham would have to be sitting within a few inches of the bulb which then in turn would be way too close for heat creating a thermal burn risk. Also they chameleon would not have any UVB unless it was right on the bulb. This is why chameleons that have these bulbs end up developing MBD and becoming extremely sick.
View attachment 267771

This is a powersun bulb. These are called Mercury Vapor bulbs... They can produce very high UVB output and very high heat. The only time chameleon keepers will use these is on large free range set ups or very large enclosures. Not the standard cage size. So to use one of these on a small cage is overkill. You will over radiate a chameleon with UVB if you do not have a solarmeter to know your exact distances for placement.

View attachment 267774

Then you have the T8 linear fixture. These run cooler. They are a better bulb as far as being a linear bulb. So it can be placed across the width of the cage but they do not put out as much UVB. knowing your distances for approximate placement is extremely important when using these. They are commonly used for montaine species that need a lower UVB level.

View attachment 267779

Then there is the T5HO fixture and bulb. These are linear and the bulbs are smaller in diameter then a T8. They are stronger. Produce better UVB levels for cages. The bulbs strength you bulb is dependent on the fixture type, reflector, and how planted out your cage is.

Here is a link that explains uvb better. There are even charts so you can see your exact distance depending on the bulb strength and fixture. Hope all that makes a bit more sense for yall. Lighting is a bit overwhelming when your new. :)

Thank you for explaining that lol. I was still kind of confused about the powersun

View attachment 267771

View attachment 267774

View attachment 267779

Then there is the T5HO fixture and bulb. These are linear and the bulbs are smaller in diameter then a T8. They are stronger. Produce better UVB levels for cages. The bulbs strength you pick is dependent on the fixture type, reflector, and how planted out your cage is.

what would be standard size for a cage?
the one i have is 24x24x48.

what would be standard size for a cage?
the one i have is 24x24x48.
That is a standard cage size. For this you would be looking at a T5HO fixture. Depending on the fixture type and reflector you would then select bulb strength. I would not recommend putting a powersun on it. With the powersun these are great IF you have a solarmeter 6.5 to know your distances... Not only for the heat level but mainly the UVI output. You do not want to over radiate a chameleon with too high of a UVI level. Can cause multiple issues including cancer.

That is a standard cage size. For this you would be looking at a T5HO fixture. Depending on the fixture type and reflector you would then select bulb strength. I would not recommend putting a powersun on it. With the powersun these are great IF you have a solarmeter 6.5 to know your distances... Not only for the heat level but mainly the UVI output. You do not want to over radiate a chameleon with too high of a UVI level. Can cause multiple issues including cancer.
The actual power sun with mercury vapour is actually not that strong (tested with solar meter that was kind disappointing) Anyway this is piece of crap, don't last long, lot of defective products (almost no uvb) and expensive! so final diagnosis : avoid this bulb anyway :p but the metal halide one is a crazy bomb and what you write definitely apply in this case :) (I should run a photoshoot with some test soon!

The actual power sun with mercury vapour is actually not that strong (tested with solar meter that was kind disappointing) Anyway this is piece of crap, don't last long, lot of defective products (almost no uvb) and expensive! so final diagnosis : avoid this bulb anyway :p but the metal halide one is a crazy bomb and what you write definitely apply in this case :) (I should run a photoshoot with some test soon!
I would absolutely love to see what kind of numbers you pull for the bulbs and at what distances. I know they run quite warm as well. You free range your group. I would think MV bulbs would be much easier in that environment.

View attachment 267771

View attachment 267774

View attachment 267779

I gotta disagree with the compact bulbs... I've seen a lot of mixed reviews, mixed emotions for those... I saw a video of the Bio Dude trying different fixtures and bulbs.... Some fixtures actually did produce considerably amount of UVB using a coil Bulb.... Effective range was about 6-8 inches... Different fixtures affected the amount of UVB it produced, and some fixtures had a better range than others. Even they were surprised ...'
I remember seeing a post about someone that tried it and it read like high amounts of UVB at 6 inches i believe..
Has anyone with a solormeter tried different fixtures? I am in no way saying to go buy a coil bulb, but since I saw that video I would like to try it myself.

I gotta disagree with the compact bulbs... I've seen a lot of mixed reviews, mixed emotions for those... I saw a video of the Bio Dude trying different fixtures and bulbs.... Some fixtures actually did produce considerably amount of UVB using a coil Bulb.... Effective range was about 6-8 inches... Different fixtures affected the amount of UVB it produced, and some fixtures had a better range than others. Even they were surprised ...'
I remember seeing a post about someone that tried it and it read like high amounts of UVB at 6 inches i believe..
Has anyone with a solormeter tried different fixtures? I am in no way saying to go buy a coil bulb, but since I saw that video I would like to try it myself.
I have a solarmeter and I have tested T5ho single fixture and a T5HO quad. Along with testing a 5.0 coil and a 10.0 coil. I tested the coils in the reptisun hoods and in a reflective dome fixture. Basically the same results... They do not push an adequate amount of UVB into the cage. The Cham literally needs to sit within inches of the bulbs before the UVI level drops off to nothing... Add this to a double dome fixture with heat bulb you are now risking thermal burns for the cham to be close enough to the UVB to get an adequate UVI level.

Everything that is said about coil bulbs is true... They are directly linked to chams that end up with MBD... Personally I do not think it is worth it to use something that is just going to harm an animal.

Here is a video that you might be interested

Thats the problem with Coil bulbs.

They out out insanely high levels of UV right under them beside them and then nothing anywhere else.

So you will have a small UV section, that is intense and then the rest of the cage will have nothing. Kind of like MVBs do, but not really as MVBs tied the UV to heat so the animal basks less in it.

The bigger issue was the high concentration of UVA in few batches, that had some serious eye issues, with irreparable damage to alot of animals.

Now your thinking, well if spot UV is an issue why do Powersuns even exist. The answer to that is they recreate the sun, better than any other light source.

Your not trying to give your animal a UVI of 3 with a powersun, thats not the intention. Chameleons dont get 3UVI in the wild either.

They bask, in high UV, high IR light for an hour or 2. Then retreat to dappled light with no UVI or very low. So while they bask in 10 UVI, they only do it for an hour or 2.

Our logic with T5s, is provide uniform mid-level UV for 12 hours, whereas the powersun method is to provide high UV while basking and then dappled like it would in sunlight through your cage furnishings.

UV is just like DLI for plants. You can provide 3 UVI for 12 hours, but the same D3 creation can be had by using 9 for 4 hours. Or at least thats how I understand it.

However like Beman said, they get very hot so managing a basking spot with them in the common sized cages can be a challenge.

More so, they are not commonly used as they cost a fortune, that is the real reason for their lack of popularity.

They are very delicate, burnout fairly easily, need replaced every 6 months or so. An arcadia T5, is 20 and needs replaced 1 time a year. The powersun is 65 and needs replaced 2-3 or more times a year.

In fact coil bulb (not the zoomed one) is quite powerful ? but also is frequently associated with eyes problems.. i had a theory about the fact than the spectrum from the coil might be maybe contained few uvc close ish radiation but.. only a theory? not a fan of thoses but they are absolutely strong and powerful (with a poor lifespan) do you have the link of the biodude test? I like this guy!?

In fact coil bulb (not the zoomed one) is quite powerful ? but also is frequently associated with eyes problems.. i had a theory about the fact than the spectrum from the coil might be maybe contained few uvc close ish radiation but.. only a theory? not a fan of thoses but they are absolutely strong and powerful (with a poor lifespan) do you have the link of the biodude test? I like this guy!?

Back
Top Bottom