ZooMed Slider?

ToxiccKiwii

I've been looking for lighting for the 24*24*48 cage setup I'm working on, and stumbled upon this one... Anyone have any experience with it, or know what a good linear bulb would be?

It looks like it takes a T8, I've seen a lot of threads talking about T5 but, I'm not entire sure what the difference is....

I love love love that it has the one long fluorescent bulb, and the spot for a basking light to face downwards (I've seen a lot of fixtures that the screw-in bulbs go sideways which seems silly to me), and I love that it's big enough to cover from edge to edge of the new cage.

Thoughts / comments / opinions before I bite the 109$ bullet? lol

Thanks <3

Attachments

• hood.JPG
    hood.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 92
I’ve been wondering about this product, too, because it’s all in one for uvb, basking heat, and a ceramic heat emitter for night!

I've been looking for lighting for the 24*24*48 cage setup I'm working on, and stumbled upon this one... Anyone have any experience with it, or know what a good linear bulb would be?

It looks like it takes a T8, I've seen a lot of threads talking about T5 but, I'm not entire sure what the difference is....

I love love love that it has the one long fluorescent bulb, and the spot for a basking light to face downwards (I've seen a lot of fixtures that the screw-in bulbs go sideways which seems silly to me), and I love that it's big enough to cover from edge to edge of the new cage.

Thoughts / comments / opinions before I bite the 109$ bullet? lol

Thanks <3
T8 bulb is about 1” around, T5 is about 1/2” round and I think the T5s put out more light but it might just be the T5 HO models that out produce the T8s.

Post a link to it so we can see the exact specs?

T8 bulb is about 1” around, T5 is about 1/2” round and I think the T5s put out more light but it might just be the T5 HO models that out produce the T8s.

Post a link to it so we can see the exact specs?

https://www.joshsfrogs.com/zoo-med-...MI9bWG2O-w3QIVV7XACh30WAXNEAYYAiABEgLQ8_D_BwE

There isn't tooo much in the description, it looks like it's not on the ZooMed website anymore... what little info I've found out was from scouring old forum posts...

A t5 will last nearly twice as long (providing usable UVB). Using a t5 fixture that utilizes multiple t5 bulbs is nice, it will provide lots of lighting for plant growth as well. The fixture you are looking at worries me because of the amount of heat that will transfer to the fluorescent ballast and bulb. I imagine it won’t last long without malfunctioning. High end t5 fixtures vent heat very well, the fixture you are looking at seems to do the opposite. Temp swings are the Achilles heel of fluorescent lighting.

A t5 will last nearly twice as long (providing usable UVB). Using a t5 fixture that utilizes multiple t5 bulbs is nice, it will provide lots of lighting for plant growth as well. The fixture you are looking at worries me because of the amount of heat that will transfer to the fluorescent ballast and bulb. I imagine it won’t last long without malfunctioning. High end t5 fixtures vent heat very well, the fixture you are looking at seems to do the opposite. Temp swings are the Achilles heel of fluorescent lighting.

Yeah, I'm wondering since it has the plug inside for internal things like heat rocks etc that I wont be using if I could dremel in some extra vent holes and use the plug for a mini-fan?

I really wanna find a way to make this work because this is the only "all in one" hood I've found like this, even though I'm only using one of the downward sockets, but that's also why I came to ask for advice.... lol

Problem with an all in one fixture is that you cannot easily arrange your enclosure. You are limited to exactly where the basking spot is. It is much more convenient to use a separate dome for basking because you can adjust the distance a bit to dial in desired temps. I would also recommend going with the T5HO. The light output and overall performance is FAR superior...

Hmmm, a lot to consider ... I still have a week or so before my cage is all set up and I can start putting in the plants, mister, etc...

Do you guys have pictures of how your lighting is set up ? Right now in my smaller cage a double dome has been working fine, I'm gonna check the enclosure threads again, too..

One of my veilds, 4 bulb 48” T5 HO with Arcadia 6% and hydroponic grow bulbs. The dual dome in the back has two different sized ceramic heat emitters. One for summer one for winter. Viv is about 6’x3’x30” with metal screen top...
AF21F91D-FB08-4728-83EE-872940692F84.jpeg

I've used one of the ZooMed combination hoods that're really similar to that and really liked it. The only real down side is they're only made for T8 bulbs but other than that I really liked how simple/sleek it made the top of the cage.

I've used one of the ZooMed combination hoods that're really similar to that and really liked it. The only real down side is they're only made for T8 bulbs but other than that I really liked how simple/sleek it made the top of the cage.
I guess you could use a higher uvb percentage to combat that? I’m loooking at possibly getting one and I have a uv meter

Light your reptiles. Or buy the generic one just like it off amazon. Either way, this is a GREAT light for cham enclosures because it provides adequate lighting for plants too.

Attachments

• 15368666650644654019069293707776.jpg
    15368666650644654019069293707776.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 95

I guess you could use a higher uvb percentage to combat that? I’m loooking at possibly getting one and I have a uv meter

I did a little bit more digging (or rather, wording the search 80 different ways LOL), and there's actually a thread that was posted a while back on how to swap the ballasts out on the hood for ones that fit the T5... I know it's the long way around, but it's definitely an idea.

Light your reptiles. Or buy the generic one just like it off amazon. Either way, this is a GREAT light for cham enclosures because it provides adequate lighting for plants too.

What one is that? I didn't see any with a timer like that when I was on there the other day??

Back
Top Bottom