Zoomed lamp fixture just stopped working?

BubbaVeiled

So I've had my chameleon for about a month. I bought a 36 inch Uvb fixture for his cage and a 34 inch bulb. About an hour ago the bulb flickered and got to about half brightness. Then I tried turning it off and back on and it would not turn back on. I tried replaced the bulb with a brand new one and it won't turn on still. I'm freaking out because I don't have a replacement lamp and don't want my cham to get sick or something because my lamp stopped working for no reason. Anyone have any experience with this or know how to fix it?

Might be the ballast. You can get a "workhorse" from fulham. They are around $25. A WH3-120 would power up to 64 watts of total lamps, T8 or T5HO. They are all about the same price, a WH2 35 watt is $20, and a WH5 128 watt is $30.

Is the ballast easy enough for a common man like me to replace? I wanted to get a new hood but god they're expensive.

Also could my automatic timer have had something to do with it? I would turn it off and on sometimes while plugged into the timer

Is the ballast easy enough for a common man like me to replace? I wanted to get a new hood but god they're expensive.

A few screws and a few butt connectors tops. Some come factory with the twist ons, so that would be even easier. But its pretty idiot proof. Black and white goto black and white, those are the 120v wall lines. Then you just run 1 red to one side, and one yellow to the other side, since you are just running one bulb. If you are are running 2 bulb, then its just 1 yellow to one end, and 1 red to each bulb.

screen_shot_2015-08-14_at_12.16.50_pm__18380.1527266141.png

Last edited:
Also could my automatic timer have had something to do with it? I would turn it off and on sometimes while plugged into the timer

The auto timer could only mess with it if it was not a 3 prong appliance timer. You can get some cheap "lamp" timers that dont truly cut the power, and those you can see the bulb pulse after its "off" for hours, and that could reduce starter life.

So basically I'll just be able to unscrew the fixture and see what you're talking about? How should I know what ballast to get?

I had trouble with mine when I set set it up. It would flicker and go out for no reason. So I took the bulb out and then put it back in and twisted it just a little more than I had been and then I heard a click! The light has been fine since, I just didn’t have it seated all the way in the socket. Try re seating yours until you hear a click, that might be all you need to do.

You can get a whole new fixture for less than $40
https://www.amazon.com/36-T5-Light-...keywords=36"+t5+fixture&qid=1630327655&sr=8-1

These fixtures—sold under many names—are all from the same factory in China, so it makes sense to shop for price.

I'd be surprised if it were related to the timer. Is any mist getting up into the fixture?

If there is a slight delay, don't panic. It takes weeks to months for MBD to manifest, and if you're giving daily calcium and occasional D3, you should be covered for longer than it takes to square your lighting away.

So basically I'll just be able to unscrew the fixture and see what you're talking about? How should I know what ballast to get?

They are bought based on total wattage. Its like 30-60-120watt models. I dont have memorized what a 36" is, but i know a single is less than 60 watts.

You can get a whole new fixture for less than $40
https://www.amazon.com/36-T5-Light-Fixture-Enclosures/dp/B092C1BG7S/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=36"+t5+fixture&qid=1630327655&sr=8-1

These fixtures—sold under many names—are all from the same factory in China, so it makes sense to shop for price.

I'd be surprised if it were related to the timer. Is any mist getting up into the fixture?

If there is a slight delay, don't panic. It takes weeks to months for MBD to manifest, and if you're giving daily calcium and occasional D3, you should be covered for longer than it takes to square your lighting away.
Yeah I'm probably going to end up just getting this. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom