Zoo Med Reptirain automatic misting machine review.

Tyaeda

Established Member
I like Zoo Med as a company. I buy a lot of their products for my Yemen's enclosure, but I would not suggest purchasing this system.

My husband just started a new job, which means that on certain days and evenings, neither of us will be home to maintain my cham's humidity. We didn't have time to wait for an online order to come in the mail, so in a pinch we went to our local reptile store and bought the only misting machine they had at the time; the Zoo Med Reptirain Automatic Misting Machine.

At first I thought it was defective, because when I first plugged it in, all the lights came on, but the thing didn't work. I later discovered that I need a surge protector, which cost us another few dollars for a cheap one at Walmart. It would have been really nice if there was one built in, or they made that requirement more clear in the instructions. Once we had it working we noticed a few new problems.

First off, the increment options are limited, and I can't make it spray as often, or for as long as we need it to. The highest setting is a one minute mist every hour. When we're home, we're able to turn it off and on, making it mist more often, but I can't make it go longer than a minute at a time.
It also does not last the 8 hours we need it too, on those settings. It would be really nice if the reservoir held enough for more than 8 one minute mistings, but it doesn't. It probably would if it wasn't for my next problem...

It leaks from the bottom, and from the misting nozzles. It appears as though it leaks in order to relieve any remaining pressure from the previous mist. I guess I could technically use it as a crappy dripper, but I would then have to mount it inside of the enclosure, and I would have to do some serious renovations in order to make that happen. For now, we use a bucket to collect the leakage.

Another thing I do not like are the misting attachments. For the $150 I paid for this machine, it would have been nice to see nice attachments, but this one just uses the same kind you can find on any generic spray bottle. It's adjustable, but my options are mist, and a steady stream. It also comes with whitish/clear tubing that may be translucent enough to promote alege growth.... makes cleaning a bit more of a hassle.

We're using it for now, but we will definitely be purchasing either a Mistking, aquazamp, or monsoon system soon, and will only be using the reptirain in case of an emergency.

I've looked up other reviews for this system, and they seem to tell the same story. Leaking, limited options, etc. Maybe one day I'll tear mine apart for the pump, and try and make a leak-free DIY version, that I can hook up to a better timer that will give me more options.

Sorry to hear that your solution ended up being another problem. For 150 it shouldv been fine. If you end up going to another definitely get a mistking. Mine is amazing and I probably won't turn back.

I've heard awesome things about both the mistking and the aquazamp, so I'll definitely be ordering one of the two online VERY soon.

New set up MONSOON GREAT IDEA SOME UNITS SOLD DEFECTIVE

I am presently setting up a 24x24x48 screen habitat- did my research and Mist king came up as the most recommended did NOT buy it why cost , I saw a monsoon 400 on amazon for a great price half the cost of Mistking . I set it up about 3 weeks ago to record temp and humidity 3 weeks went by I thought the machine was the bomb * old school def really nice... I was ready to purchase an additional one just for my Orchards I found for my habitat ( which is outdoors set at 30 sec every four hours seemed to keep a nice stable graph within the ideal parameters ) at this rate the water reserve tank was lasting 2.5- 3 days even better. ,
Well of course I would not be writing this. Like my old friend would say The one I know is you never know ?? two days ago filled it in the evening in the morning it was bone dry , all the water streamed plants were shiny wet same settings I checked again and noticed it was erratic in would go every 10 min for 10 sec or one hour for 30 sec. I called Hagen the support person asked me to check the numbers in the rear " 04/12 represents manufacturing date she immediately said return it ....we have had many issues send it back,,, and request one with the # s /13 I bought it from Amazon they were more than happy to refund or replace it and if it happens again to repeat the return process if you get another unit ending /12 luck of the and receive the correct mfg /13 unit.

in addition I bought the remote , additional sprayers etc, If I went for a refund I would need to return all accessories I cut holes in the screening secured the sprayers etc, remote etc.
I am going to take my chances I don't have an occupant and wont till the habitat is up to perfect conditions

Why I am writing DO NOT BUY A MONSOON WIth a MGF ENDING in /12 TOLD TO ME by HAGEN CUSTOMER SUPPORT

I am presently setting up a 24x24x48 screen habitat- did my research and Mist king came up as the most recommended did NOT buy it why cost , I saw a monsoon 400 on amazon for a great price half the cost of Mistking . I set it up about 3 weeks ago to record temp and humidity 3 weeks went by I thought the machine was the bomb * old school def really nice... I was ready to purchase an additional one just for my Orchards I found for my habitat ( which is outdoors set at 30 sec every four hours seemed to keep a nice stable graph within the ideal parameters ) at this rate the water reserve tank was lasting 2.5- 3 days even better. ,
Well of course I would not be writing this. Like my old friend would say The one I know is you never know ?? two days ago filled it in the evening in the morning it was bone dry , all the water streamed plants were shiny wet same settings I checked again and noticed it was erratic in would go every 10 min for 10 sec or one hour for 30 sec. I called Hagen the support person asked me to check the numbers in the rear " 04/12 represents manufacturing date she immediately said return it ....we have had many issues send it back,,, and request one with the # s /13 I bought it from Amazon they were more than happy to refund or replace it and if it happens again to repeat the return process if you get another unit ending /12 luck of the and receive the correct mfg /13 unit.

in addition I bought the remote , additional sprayers etc, If I went for a refund I would need to return all accessories I cut holes in the screening secured the sprayers etc, remote etc.
I am going to take my chances I don't have an occupant and wont till the habitat is up to perfect conditions

Why I am writing DO NOT BUY A MONSOON WIth a MGF ENDING in /12 TOLD TO ME by HAGEN CUSTOMER SUPPORT

This is what happens when you try to be cheap. You get cheap quality. There is a reason that MistKing and Aquazamp are the top two companies for misting systems.

When it comes to a misting system for your chameleons you need to get a product that is going to work and has been proven time and time again that it does work.

Just giving an update. I haven't yet replaced the system, because I made a minor alteration to make it hold enough water for 8 hours of 60 second mistings. Like a water cooler, I put a bottle of water on top of the reservoir, and it works.
It still leaks like a siv, but I have a pan under it that catches all the water.

When I am home I still do really good hand mistings for at least 5-10 minutes at a time, but I don't have to do them as often.

Dont buy a monsoon RS400 Period

I purchased my first one online for $82 Monsoon RS400 free shipping,no Tax great deal so I purchased the remote, an additional nozzle, and a splitter. all online from Amazon. It was working for about 3 weeks as I stated in a previous post and the timer stopped working. They told me they were having problems with those with the last digits 12. The company sent me another one ,it arrived today. This time with the last number 13 . the lucky number... Plugged it in and lights went on then off never to return. Wrote Amazon they said we will give you a full refund, All I have to do is pack and send 5 separate items back all in separate boxes and separate shipping labels, Too much work for me.

I called Mist depot Mist King and will have one in a week Ill send back just the unit I got today in the box it came in. Or they will bill me for another buy a cheap 1 minute digital timer and use it for my orchids till it also RIP
I am having so much fun shopping for plants, getting incredible Pathos cuttings from my neighborhood. Getting Cork that looks like bark etc. I cant let a piece of junk mist on my Parade .

Isn't the reptirain the same thing as the habba mist piece of junk that they tried marketing a while ago? Just go custom or get an AZ, MK system.

Back
Top Bottom