Zoo Med Repti Cooler!!

Jo00

Established Member
I became aware of this on another forum and have ordered it (arriving In a few days). Has anyone else tried it? It’s new; hoping it will solve the night time temp
drop🤞🤞🤞
1638127397126.png

Found this in the archives:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/i-need-a-temperature-drop-at-night.182116/post-1659840

Seems like it'll work to a certain extent! What kind of temp drop are you looking for? Would be interesting to monitor your results with a Govee and share back if it's regularly dropping temps by 10 degrees as advertised.

I actually just bought a portable AC unit for the room my chameleon is in because I am sick of my house being so dang cold in the mornings. 😂 And I need the temp control for multiple animals so the repticooler wouldn't work for me.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/i-need-a-temperature-drop
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/i-need-a-temperature-drop-at-night.182116/post-1659840

Seems like it'll work to a certain extent! What kind of temp drop are you looking for? Would be interesting to monitor your results with a Govee and share back if it's regularly dropping temps by 10 degrees as advertised.

I actually just bought a portable AC unit for the room my chameleon is in because I am sick of my house being so dang cold in the mornings. 😂 And I need the temp control for multiple animals so the repticooler wouldn't work for me.

-at-night.182116/post-1659840

I tried the little portable ac last year and it really didnt work for me. I’m in Canada and it’s gets very cold in winter. Right now the night temps are around 14F. If I close the heat vent and leave the Cham Room window open about 1” and close the door, I get a 10 degree drop. However when the temps start getting down to 5F and colder, this won’t be feasible. MAYBE just closing the heat vent will work but I don’t want to risk it. So…I have a temporary enclosure set up and I will be testing the cooler on that one. Temps will be monitored with Govee to see if I can get the necessary drop. If so, great. If not, then I’ve wasted my money☹️. Will update this post when I have some results👍.

FWIW, the Repticooler is just a(nother) evaporative cooler, and I expect a very simple/small one.

If I close the heat vent and leave the Cham Room window open about 1” and close the door, I get a 10 degree drop. However when the temps start getting down to 5F and colder, this won’t be feasible. MAYBE just closing the heat vent will work but I don’t want to risk it.
What's the risk of just closing the heat vent? What about opening the window less than an inch? :unsure:

In both cases, they are not binary (open or closed); they're analog, and can be adjusted just about anywhere you like or need to to achieve the drop. The window will be harder because of varying outside temps and wind direction & speed.

There is also such a thing as a thermostatically controlled register (your vent).
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=thermostatically+controlled+register

FWIW, the Repticooler is just a(nother) evaporative cooler, and I expect a very simple/small one.

What's the risk of just closing the heat vent? What about opening the window less than an inch? :unsure:

In both cases, they are not binary (open or closed); they're analog, and can be adjusted just about anywhere you like or need to to achieve the drop. The window will be harder because of varying outside temps and wind direction & speed.

There is also such a thing as a thermostatically controlled register (your vent).
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=thermostatically+controlled+register
O M G…”there’s an app for that”! Thanks ! Love the vent idea👍 . If the repti cooler doesn’t work out as expected, I’ll go that route. THANKS!

I tried the little portable ac last year and it really didnt work for me. I’m in Canada and it’s gets very cold in winter. Right now the night temps are around 14F. If I close the heat vent and leave the Cham Room window open about 1” and close the door, I get a 10 degree drop. However when the temps start getting down to 5F and colder, this won’t be feasible. MAYBE just closing the heat vent will work but I don’t want to risk it. So…I have a temporary enclosure set up and I will be testing the cooler on that one. Temps will be monitored with Govee to see if I can get the necessary drop. If so, great. If not, then I’ve wasted my money☹️. Will update this post when I have some results👍.
I have the opposite problem of you, it is too hot most of the year and I have no openable windows.

I use it, and like it. With my AC set on 70 degrees at night (hubby will not let me go even one degree cooler!), it will bring the bottom of the enclosure down to between 61-66. So, 4 to 9 degrees-not the 10 as advertised but enough that I think it is a help for a montane cham.

And he seems to like it, normally sleeps under it.

However one caution. It works by using a little styrofoam float inside it. After using it for a few weeks to months, that float can hang up and the water will no longer feed into the unit. I know this....because I went through two of them, Zoomed recognized the problem and is changing how it is manufactured. They were extremely helpful so if you have a problem I can get you the contact.

Like all water appliances, if your house is very dry the water will be used faster. Or, if the level does not seem to go down you will know you have the above problem.

It is not life-changing but for my situation being able to get out of the 70's and into the 60's gives me an additional level of comfort.

I have the opposite problem of you, it is too hot most of the year and I have no openable windows.

I use it, and like it. With my AC set on 70 degrees at night (hubby will not let me go even one degree cooler!), it will bring the bottom of the enclosure down to between 61-66. So, 4 to 9 degrees-not the 10 as advertised but enough that I think it is a help for a montane cham.

And he seems to like it, normally sleeps under it.

However one caution. It works by using a little styrofoam float inside it. After using it for a few weeks to months, that float can hang up and the water will no longer feed into the unit. I know this....because I went through two of them, Zoomed recognized the problem and is changing how it is manufactured. They were extremely helpful so if you have a problem I can get you the contact.

Like all water appliances, if your house is very dry the water will be used faster. Or, if the level does not seem to go down you will know you have the above problem.

It is not life-changing but for my situation being able to get out of the 70's and into the 60's gives me an additional level of comfort.
Thanks very much for this!! I appreciate you taking the time for an informative reply👍

For me, it doesn't work too well, anymore. When I first got it it was great, but now it doesn't wick very well and the valve doesn't always work, letting the water dry up for the evaporative bit.

For me, it doesn't work too well, anymore. When I first got it it was great, but now it doesn't wick very well and the valve doesn't always work, letting the water dry up for the evaporative bit.
This is a known defect. I worked with them on this testing various units and it should be fixed now-you should be able to contact them and they will replace. If you have a "good" one it works great.

Back
Top Bottom