Zoo med repot basking bulb

Wehiggins2004

is it ok to use a repti basking spot lamp for a chameleon? I am having trouble keeping the cage above 72 degrees in the basking area so I was going to go to a warmer bulb. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_6026.JPG
    IMG_6026.JPG
    248.3 KB · Views: 95
72 is fine as an ambient temp. It's only directly beneath the basking light that you want the temp to be 85-90. The cham needs an area of warmth, and an area of cooling to regulate it's body temp. The bulb you show is too powerful for most chams. It's for desert reptiles, not tropicals. They can also get burned, so no, I would not use that bulb.

72 is fine as an ambient temp. It's only directly beneath the basking light that you want the temp to be 85-90. The cham needs an area of warmth, and an area of cooling to regulate it's body temp. The bulb you show is too powerful for most chams. It's for desert reptiles, not tropicals. They can also get burned, so no, I would not use that bulb.
Ok ty so much !!

That should be fine. 100w is about the highest you want to go. What's the room temperature? Either the roomyou have your lizard in is too cold, or your light is too far away from his basking branch. Don't forget, you want to measure from what would be approximately the highest part of the animal. And your basking branch should be 4-6" from the bulb. Can you post a picture of the set up?

Ty for your help!! I went to petsmart and bought a better 100 w bulb and her basking area is now warmer! Angelwolf .. your chameleon is beautiful!! How old and is it make or female? We have a female kiwi who is about 1 yr old now . I wonder if she will grow as large as yours. Thanks again for your help

Mine is about a year old. (A little over) He's a boy. I'm not sure, but I think the girls stay a little smaller.

Back
Top Bottom