Your top 3 worms

DABRUTE

What are your top 3 worms for your cham? Do you let them crawl around and let your cham hunt for them? I'm thinking about breeding lol

Well off the top of my head the easiest to breed would be superworms and mealworms. They are really pretty much the same when it comes to looks (superworms are a tad darker) and literally almost exactly the same to breed.

Hornworms are bright blue, squishy, and almost sure to catch your chameleon's attention. I have heard they are trickier than others to keep and grow very quickly though. They are amazing for hydrating a chameleon because they are fat with H2O.

Silkworms are high in calcium and again, like hornworms, I'm 99% sure they grow up pretty dang fast, whereas harder worms with chitin like superworms and mealworms grow slower. Again both hornworms and silkworms require thought and preparation big time before you breed. I think they require a special amount of space, food, time, etc.

What other worms are there..?

What are your top 3 worms for your cham? Do you let them crawl around and let your cham hunt for them? I'm thinking about breeding lol

Hmm.. I will go with silks, phoenix and supers. The silks and phoenix worms are fed often here. I breed silks, supers and meals which have all been very easy. I never had any luck with my chams eating horns. :(

I place a couple of silkworms in each cage every morning. I usually place them on the same branches. Two of my chams know when they are coming so they make their way over just about everytime. I hand feed the phoenix worms because no matter what I do.. they sneak out of their cup! Haha.. the supers aren't fed that often but they will chill right in a feeder cup. :D

I just posted this in another thread but I will post again for the ideas I used for the feeder dish and worm feeder cup. I am pretty sure this is another member. Either way, I love his videos. I hope this helps a little. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xCyPmEYInk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H7iKUfbbRs

Silks, horns and supers. The silks and horns are great because I can put them free-range in the enclosures and let my guys hunt. I use a feeding cup for the crickets and roaches because the either escape or hide under the plant pots if they're allowed to roam, so it's nice to have feeders that force my guys to hunt. Supers I like because they're so easy.

Silks, horns and supers. The silks and horns are great because I can put them free-range in the enclosures and let my guys hunt. I use a feeding cup for the crickets and roaches because the either escape or hide under the plant pots if they're allowed to roam, so it's nice to have feeders that force my guys to hunt. Supers I like because they're so easy.

awsome! is mine to young for supers? he is 3 months. lol

awsome! is mine to young for supers? he is 3 months. lol

Definitely too small for adults of anything except mealworms I think. However, you can order baby worms from a lot of suppliers. You can also order hornworm and silkworm eggs to hatch yourself but it can be labor intensive. I wouldn't feed any worms larger than mealworm size yet.

My top three:
1. Silks
2. Hornworms
3. Phoenix (followed closely by mealworms and superworms)

Commah's top three(what he likes):
Silks, Horns, Supers
Tobias' top three(his preference):
Mealworms, mealworms, mealworms.
Arwens' top three(her preferences):
Silks, Hornworms, Phoniex

Most of the time what I decide to breed is based greatly on what my guys will take without too much of a hassle & what is better for them.
:)

My top three:
1. Silks
2. Hornworms
3. Phoenix (followed closely by mealworms and superworms)

Commah's top three(what he likes):
Silks, Horns, Supers
Tobias' top three(his preference):
Mealworms, mealworms, mealworms.
Arwens' top three(her preferences):
Silks, Hornworms, Phoniex

Most of the time what I decide to breed is based greatly on what my guys will take without too much of a hassle & what is better for them.
:)
awesome!! Thanks for the reply!

top three I use are
superworms (because they are easy keep and breed, semi gutloadable)
silkworms (used to breed them but Ive not got the time anymore so I buy, gutloadable)
butterworms (you cant breed these, but they are high calcium and gutloadable)

other options
mealworms (very easy to breed)
hornworms (breedable, but takes a little effort)
solider fly maggots (breedable, but takes a little effort)
cabbage loppers (potentially breedable, but don't know of anyone doing it)

You may find some of the links (hoe to breed) from within this blog entry useful: https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/74-feeders.html

My guy loves his silkworms first and then probably meal worms and then because of his size right now smaller hornworms.

Back
Top Bottom