Your thoughts on Cham poo.

JonRich

Well i have had this guy in my posession for 3 days. The obvious is the urate color. I have given him 3 showers since , along with a dripper that dripps the whole time the lights are on and mistings.

Hydration addressed, whats your thought on why the poop is runny/wet. I have isolated this Cham away from my other Chams just to make sure not to cross-contaminate.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species Panther, sex Male , and age of your chameleon 10 months old. How long has it been in your care? 3 days
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? None!
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? B.Dubial, crickets, superworms,butterworms What amount? right now i offer more butterworms,but he takes the others in small amounts What is the schedule? Daily in the morning How are you gut-loading your feeders? Yes, with fresh fruits and greens along with BugBurger and Dino-Fuel
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Repashy Cal Plus, once daily
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? See above
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? This is the first poo in my care, it's wet and the urate is orange. owner states he has been tested for parasites, not sure now recent.
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. Not much info on this.
Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Megium DIY screened cage
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? ReptiSun 5.0, 60w incandecent in a 8" dome, 12 hours (8am-8pm)
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Basking spot is in the low 90's, rest of the cage in usually in the mid 70's. Overnight temps are mid 60's. Measured with a probe.Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? mid 50's, mistings, live plants, measured with a digi probe.
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Small Ficus
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? On a 4 foot stand, no fan or vent , but air circulation is good.
Location - Where are you geographically located? NYC!
Current Problem - Wet poop, and orange urate. He does seem to wake up late compared to my Chams. But that could possibly just be a scheduleing thing.

poo2.jpg

poo1.jpg

poo.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Jon..more importantly what did you get?? :D:D

But I would be getting a fecal done on him ASAP. I also wash my hands with mediscrub after handling animals I am not sure are clean...I know it will not kill everything but it is best we can do on our hands. It might just be the butters but like you said better safe than sorry :eek:

Hey Jon..more importantly what did you get?? :D:D

But I would be getting a fecal done on him ASAP. I also wash my hands with mediscrub after handling animals I am not sure are clean...I know it will not kill everything but it is best we can do on our hands. It might just be the butters but like you said better safe than sorry :eek:

Yea, i was thinking it was the butters too. I am now giving him Crickets and Dubias to see if it will make the stool firm.

I also assume the urate will go back to normal , now that he is drinking really well. Almost too well, like he will drink every chance given. I'd give him a shower and when i put him back in his cage he will still drink from the dripper or mistings.
Even got him drinking from a baby bottle. Crazy thing is , he dosen't look dehydrated at alll!!
Is there a reason why a Cham will be extra thirsty?
neutonbottle.jpg

I try to wear gloves when having to deal with him.

This is not my Cham, i'm sitting. But once the owner comes back, i'll be getting 3 more in!:rolleyes:

Now that is cute.... your wife giving him a baby bottle. I will have to give that a try!! :)

lol, yea. She tries to bottle feed everything !lol This time it worked and she is a feen!! But as long as he's getting hydrated i'm happy, even by bottle! haha

Well she is going to love that one from Suzi as they are like human babies..... I don't think they know they are chameleons. :) I bet my Sparkle will take a bottle. Have to get one and give it a try.

You are right he doesn't look dehydrated but his urates seem to indicate he is. But also if he is loosing moisture in his stool due to parasites it would make him chronically dehydrated. I have gotten chams from pretty high profile breeders with parasites and this guy you are cham sitting for has that WC meller too correct? You don't know if that didn't bring in the parasites to the collection :confused: I could just be really paranoid :D

Or it could just be the food

You are right he doesn't look dehydrated but his urates seem to indicate he is. But also if he is loosing moisture in his stool due to parasites it would make him chronically dehydrated. I have gotten chams from pretty high profile breeders with parasites and this guy you are cham sitting for has that WC meller too correct? You don't know if that didn't bring in the parasites to the collection :confused: I could just be really paranoid :D

Or it could just be the food

I'll PM you .. I don't wanna discuss my concerns here.

Back
Top Bottom