Your personal experiences!?

Though we don't exactly see eye to eye on the other thread, I'll add here. You've already covered part of one of the best pieces of advise I've read given to a "new inspiring breeder". Go into it for your love of chams and not with the idea you'll make a ton of money doing it and be willing to learn along the way.

Things change and I am a firm believer in doing your best to keep educating yourself on husbandry changes that are happening. Take for instance hydration practices, when I started building my first cage last Oct the common and accepted practice at the time was day time hydration and night time dry out. Six months later there is a new husbandry practice being put out on hydration by Bill Strand and Petr Necas. My wc male Odin came in shortly after they came out with it and I've had him on that method since being here for the last five or so weeks. I plan on moving the rest of chams to that practice as well now.

That being said, don't go into it planning automatically to short change your female of needed cage space. Of my currently six female panthers, one is as large as a small male and is in a 24x24x48. The rest are in typical 18x18x36 cages.

My biggest suggestion if you are serious about it, try to find a veiled breeder that will take you under their wing like @Matt Vanilla Gorilla did for me and my panthers when I decided I was going to breed. I actually bought the sire of my two incubating clutches, with hopefully a couple more clutches to come in the next 4 to 6 weeks, from him.

I've already stressed how important the doing your research is on two different threads now but, a mentor if you can find one willing to help you with veileds, is just as invaluable. Matt went from my first boys breeder to my mentor to mentor and friend to my long lost older brother from another mother that just happens to be a panther cham encyclopedia in a very short time span :ROFLMAO:. We share stuff we find in our research that we think is interesting.

Sorry for being long winded on this one but it's my thoughts atm...

I listened to that podcast by Bill Strand and I'm wondering if you are using a humidifier for most of the night? If so are you noticing with humidity approaching 100% that your panther is wet most of the night? I'm imagining you have the humidifier at the top of the cage, are you moving your lights out of the way at night?

I listened to that podcast by Bill Strand and I'm wondering if you are using a humidifier for most of the night? If so are you noticing with humidity approaching 100% that your panther is wet most of the night? I'm imagining you have the humidifier at the top of the cage, are you moving your lights out of the way at night?

Yes, cool mist humidifier piped through 3/4 pvc with a 90° directing the mist down into the cage. Since he's been in a "temporary quarantine" type setup in his cage I've not been concerned with looks for testing the new hydration practice.

He is in a reptibreeze xl with no sides covered at all currently so there is no "build up" per se. I've only got the humidifier turned up just enough so the "fog" flow ends within ~1" of him in his normal sleep spot under a group of corn plat leafs. The corn plant leaves do collect moisture as noted by Bill and Petr but with how he's been set-up he hasn't been wet at all due to the airflow.

His quarantine is up soon and when I redo his cage to a permanent set-up I'm thinking of piping it into a duckbill for distribution inside the cage. The "fog" mostly falls down once directed that way with elbow though so I have not moved my lights at all. I have it running 6.5 hours for the time being but when the permanent cage is done I'll adjust as needed of course.

Hey guys,
So I’ve only ever had male veileds. I’m considering getting a female to either possibly pair with my current male or just to rescue like I did my boy.
In all honesty, the main reason I want a female is to just have another adventure! I’ve rescued reptiles my whole life. I’m chronically ill and have nothing else to do while I’m home all day except take care of my chameleon. I’d love to get another one because it’s seriously became a passion of mine to help these little sweet beings.
I’ve obviously looked over all the care sheets I possibly can and have talked to friends with females but I’m honestly looking now for everyone’s personal experiences and advice, if that makes sense. And of course more care sheets you think are amazing to look over for female care.
I will be honest in the fact that I DEFINITELY was not fully prepared when I got my boy, despite how prepared I thought I was. I learned very quickly that they are MUCH more of a challenge than what is written on paper and just fell in love it it. But this time, I wanna make sure I am fully prepared.
males can be the biggest pain in the rear when it comes to cleaning time. watch out for a chameleon running down to get your pinky when your cleaning up. ive almost been bit 100s of times. my lil guy thinks he can outsmart me. foolish mortal:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom