Young veiled frightened of mealworms/wax worms?

Amberlucinda

Hi there :)
I am a new member here and i am new to keeping chameleons.
I have a beautiful young boy veiled chameleon called Randall.
He was quite a sickly boy when i got him, he was half the size of his brothers and sisters and very dehydrated, me being me couldn't leave him where he was so took him home in the hope to make him well again. So far so good, he has come on in leaps and bounds, and most exciting was that he shed his first time since i have had him :)
My only concern at this point is that he only likes to eat crickets! These i lightly dust every day with calcium and the twice a month with calcium + D3 & multivitamin.
I have bought him some wax worms, which to be fair were too big for him, so we scrapped that idea for now, I have since bought him some mini meal worms which don't look to big at all but he is scared of them, I have tried offering him them singularly and a few at a time, but he turns tail nd speeds off!
I have read in lots of places that chams need a varied diet, but i don't know what else to offer him that is small enough! I am in the UK.
Any suggestions welcome :)

Hi and welcome to the forum! This is a great place for info so feel free to ask away :)

I feed my veiled crickets, locusts and silkworms mainly. Other things to throw into the mix are butterworms, cockroaches, stick insects, mantis, beetle grubs and calci worms. All of these should be available to you online :) Meal and wax worms are not a great feeder anyway so don't be sad that he won't eat them.

My girl is not fond of roaches any more but she will eat anything else. Have you tried to offer any fruit or veg to your little one? My girl enjoys rocket, romaine, sometimes kale, apple strawberry, rasberry, blueberry, sweet potato, peppers and probably more! Leafy greens are a good staple but sweet fruit etc. I keep for a sunday treat :)

We would love to see some pictures of your little fella!

Thank you for your response AngieL :) I hadn't tried him on any veg, so I bought some yesterday but hi doesn't seem too impressed! But I wil persevere with him, you never know :) I did buy some hoppers too yesterday, but again he seemed quite frightened of it?
He is eating plenty of crickets which are quite well gut loaded so I will try not to panic lol! I will oreder some of the bugs you have suggested and see how we get on :)
xx

my little guy was afraid of worms at first too, he would turn on his angry colours, and try to get away from them, but eventually I did get him to take one from my hand, and now he will eat them out of his cup. Just stay persistent!

Thanks streetmoggy :) I have ordered some small calci worms. I think these should be small enough to not scare him lol!
By the way, would anyone know if Chams can smell foods or not?
x

Back
Top Bottom