Young nosy be enclosure help

Kaden1225

Ok so I will be getting a young nosy be female in the next few weeks. This is what I have setup so far. Any tips?

Attachments

• BF181F7E-05C5-4B5C-B579-696BA880D991.jpeg
    BF181F7E-05C5-4B5C-B579-696BA880D991.jpeg
    134 KB · Views: 104
Hi there as Jox was saying you will need to make upgrades.The cage will need to be lager as well with many branches for climbing. How old is the female your getting? I’m guessing you know that your new girl will lay infertile eggs as well.

Hi there as Jox was saying you will need to make upgrades.The cage will need to be lager as well with many branches for climbing. How old is the female your getting? I’m guessing you know that your new girl will lay infertile eggs as well.
The cage is what the breeder told me she is currently in. So that’s what I am using for quarantine. The breeder I am getting her from says she has females between 2 weeks and 6 months. And yes I know she will lay infetiles. I have 2 24x24x48 Reptibreezes ready for her to move over that I picked up from craigslist.

The cage is what the breeder told me she is currently in. So that’s what I am using for quarantine. The breeder I am getting her from says she has females between 2 weeks and 6 months. And yes I know she will lay infetiles. I have 2 24x24x48 Reptibreezes ready for her to move over that I picked up from craigslist.
Perfect be sure to thoroughly sanitize the new cage off Craigslist just in case. I would not get a baby any younger then 3 months old. :)

Should I add more vines to her quarantine setup? Or do I need to add a different type of branch? Or is it good?
Why quarantine? Do you have other Chams and are you getting her from a reputable breeder? And yes you will need more branches. Also like @Beman said make sure she is at least 3 months old and sanitize the cage you got from CL.

Uvb is a reptisun 10.0. And basking bulb is a Phillips 65 watt flood light
there is a 65 watt flood light and a 60 watt grow bulb in the dual fixture then the uvb is a linear bulb.

Since you have other reptiles do you have a solarmeter 6.5 to check uvb levels? If not I would drop that 10.0 bulb and get a 5.0 then make sure basking level is about 7-8inches down so you dont have a UVI overexposure issue. And just note depending on age. the two bulbs will be more like 120 watts together. They are going to put out quite a bit of heat. So if you go with a very young one as you mentioned was a possibility, your going to want to remove heat or suspend the lamps quite high above the cage.

Since you have other reptiles do you have a solarmeter 6.5 to check uvb levels? If not I would drop that 10.0 bulb and get a 5.0 then make sure basking level is about 7-8inches down so you dont have a UVI overexposure issue. And just note depending on age. the two bulbs will be more like 120 watts together. They are going to put out quite a bit of heat. So if you go with a very young one as you mentioned was a possibility, your going to want to remove heat or suspend the lamps quite high above the cage.
I will most likely have them suspended. Above the cage and no I don’t have a meter but I could suspend the uvb as well

I will most likely have them suspended. Above the cage and no I don’t have a meter but I could suspend the uvb as well
Ok I can not give you exacts with the UVB distance for suspension... Just be really careful if you do that. It is so easy to over and under expose. I know if you have a single T5HO fixture with a 5.0 bulb your sweet spot with the T5HO sitting directly on the cage top is going to be 7-8 inches. at this distance you will get a 3-4 UVI then offer multiple levels for her to choose a lower level as well. :) Honestly just because of what we have seen with the 10.0 and the 12% arcadia T5 bulbs in single fixtures I would not risk it just get the 5.0 then you don't have to guess. Then you know your girl is good.

Is this your first Chameleon?

Ok I can not give you exacts with the UVB distance for suspension... Just be really careful if you do that. It is so easy to over and under expose. I know if you have a single T5HO fixture with a 5.0 bulb your sweet spot with the T5HO sitting directly on the cage top is going to be 7-8 inches. at this distance you will get a 3-4 UVI then offer multiple levels for her to choose a lower level as well. :) Honestly just because of what we have seen with the 10.0 and the 12% arcadia T5 bulbs in single fixtures I would not risk it just get the 5.0 then you don't have to guess. Then you know your girl is good.

Is this your first Chameleon?
Yes this will be my first chameleon and I will order one now

Yes this will be my first chameleon and I will order one now
Ok if your going to do that... Look into the arcadia brand :) 6% they are such a better bulb. And you replace these every 12 months instead of the zoo med which is 9 months. Although I don't know the size of your fixture I pulled this link for you. :) https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/arcadia-6-uvb-t5-reptile-bulb.html

Let us know what other questions you have. And since she is your first. I would for sure get a 3 month old. I have been a keeper for a year and there is no way I would go younger then 3 months. lol

Back
Top Bottom