Young Male panther breeding with young female

PattyK789

I have 1 male teenage, not sure how old, nosy be and 3 female nosy be panthers. In late January my mum put my male in with the females and he bred with one of them. She is now starting to lay and I was wondering whether the eggs/ babies will be okay as he is the same size as her.
IMG_0174.JPG
IMG_0174.JPG

I can't speak about the babies, however you should not be housing all those females together in one cage. Each chameleon needs it's own separate cage which is also visually separated from those next to it. Please let us know if you have any other questions, because perhaps your husbandry could do with a bit of a touch up.

Sorry the Female is unknown and the Male is Nosy Be. Didn't mean to say that she was a Nosy be

Last edited:
I have 1 male teenage, not sure how old, nosy be and 3 female nosy be panthers. In late January my mum put my male in with the females and he bred with one of them. She is now starting to lay and I was wondering whether the eggs/ babies will be okay as he is the same size as her. View attachment 293442View attachment 293442
Off topic but I wonder if that hurts her? Where he is grabbing lol. He looks excited and happy and she’s just like get off me. (I’m not saying she is unhappy or anything but if I were to see this and have no knowledge then that’s what I’d think in my head) I find the picture funny cause the other one has it’s head just popped in, in the corner and I’m thinking she’s like uhhhhh ok weird. 😆 I’m sorry my descriptions are horrible I don’t know if you understand what I’m trying to say. But back on topic yes, definitely need to be separated with a visual barrier ASAP! As for the babies you’ll need to provide them a suitable home as well once they hatch, they are from two different species I’m assuming so that’s also something else, the eggs need to be incubated correctly as well, there’s a lot. I don’t know much on breeding so definitely have someone else touch more on the topic of babies.

If you want us to review your husbandry just to make sure everything is good please fill this out!

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

You said she's starting to lay...did you mean produce eggs?
Do you have a lay bin in her cage yet?

Females definitely need to be separated ASAP.

She laid 26 eggs yesterday and she is doing well.
I provided a deep laying bin and she started digging straight away. I have a clutch due to hatch next month and we have a 45x45x45 Exo terra for them.

Off topic but I wonder if that hurts her? Where he is grabbing lol. He looks excited and happy and she’s just like get off me. (I’m not saying she is unhappy or anything but if I were to see this and have no knowledge then that’s what I’d think in my head) I find the picture funny cause the other one has it’s head just popped in, in the corner and I’m thinking she’s like uhhhhh ok weird. 😆 I’m sorry my descriptions are horrible I don’t know if you understand what I’m trying to say. But back on topic yes, definitely need to be separated with a visual barrier ASAP! As for the babies you’ll need to provide them a suitable home as well once they hatch, they are from two different species I’m assuming so that’s also something else, the eggs need to be incubated correctly as well, there’s a lot. I don’t know much on breeding so definitely have someone else touch more on the topic of babies.

If you want us to review your husbandry just to make sure everything is good please fill this out!

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
I am pretty sure they are not two different species, possibly different locales. The person we bought the females off of, said they didn't know what they were.

Back
Top Bottom