Young female Jacksons supplement schedule

StephDay

Hello!

I just wanted to make sure I was supplementing my younger female Jacksons correctly. She is about 7 months old and eats somewhere around 10 crickets every day. I give her 15 or so and there are generally a couple left over by early afternoon that I take out. I have had her exactly 1 month today.

I found some older posts for Jacksons that suggest Repashy Superfood Calcium plus LoD every feeding, and another more recent one that said to use it once a week and then regular calcium two other times per week. I just wanted to clarify, since the first post was from 2017. Also, I know some people say every feeding, but they only feed their cham every other day because they are adults, so it can get a little blurry as to the real amount of supplementation needed for a younger cham that gets fed daily.

I have calcum without D3 and without phosphorous that I use twice a week. I also have Repashy Superfoods Calcium Plus LoD that I have used every other week as a replacement to one of the regular calcium dustings for that week. I suspect she was over-supplemented when I got her, so I have only been doing the Calcium Plus LoD every other week, but she seems really settled in and healthy now, so I want to make sure she gets onto a permanent dusting routine that is appropriate. I am also always confused as to whether people replace a regular calcium dusting with a multivitamin, or whether they get an additional dusting that week and still keep their regular calcium-only schedule.

I am also wondering how you get a light dusting. No matter how little I feel I sprinkle into a bag, they end up coming out pure white and I try to spray some off with a water bottle. It is tedious and annoying. Any tips for dumping less calcium into the bag at a time? Tiny spoons?

@JacksJill I'm sure this is a question for you!

Cheers!

Hello!

I just wanted to make sure I was supplementing my younger female Jacksons correctly. She is about 7 months old and eats somewhere around 10 crickets every day. I give her 15 or so and there are generally a couple left over by early afternoon that I take out. I have had her exactly 1 month today.

I found some older posts for Jacksons that suggest Repashy Superfood Calcium plus LoD every feeding, and another more recent one that said to use it once a week and then regular calcium two other times per week. I just wanted to clarify, since the first post was from 2017. Also, I know some people say every feeding, but they only feed their cham every other day because they are adults, so it can get a little blurry as to the real amount of supplementation needed for a younger cham that gets fed daily.

I have calcum without D3 and without phosphorous that I use twice a week. I also have Repashy Superfoods Calcium Plus LoD that I have used every other week as a replacement to one of the regular calcium dustings for that week. I suspect she was over-supplemented when I got her, so I have only been doing the Calcium Plus LoD every other week, but she seems really settled in and healthy now, so I want to make sure she gets onto a permanent dusting routine that is appropriate. I am also always confused as to whether people replace a regular calcium dusting with a multivitamin, or whether they get an additional dusting that week and still keep their regular calcium-only schedule.

I am also wondering how you get a light dusting. No matter how little I feel I sprinkle into a bag, they end up coming out pure white and I try to spray some off with a water bottle. It is tedious and annoying. Any tips for dumping less calcium into the bag at a time? Tiny spoons?

Cheers!
Like you said @JacksJill will be able to give more specific info, but I think I can say a few things. First, when folks say they give a multivitamin every two weeks, they mean instead of dusting with calcium that day, they use the multi vitamin. Calcium plus LoD seems to be hotly debated for montanes. I’ve heard of people using it every feeding, once a week or twice a month. I actually gave up on the LoD because I’m going no supplemental d3, just good uvb. Again, supplementation specifics for your Jackson’s will be better addressed by Jacksjill.
As for using too much dust, try using the smallest measuring spoon (I think it’s called a dash spoon). Alternatively use a 1/8th teaspoon, and just fill it half way. Then use a plastic cup rather than a bag. Dust them, then transfer them to a second plastic cup, and bang it on the counter to shake some dust off.

May I ask which subspecies of Jackson’s you have? What is your uvb source? What are you feeding/gutloading with?

Hello!

Cheers!
[/QUOTPut the feeders in a clear plastic cup and add a tiny bit of calcium. Shake the cup to coat the feeders.

Oh I like the double cup idea, I'm definitely going to do that.

Shes a xanth. I got her from a semi local person who accidentally bought a pregnant female from a petstore, so not a breeder or anyone with exceptional cham knowledge. But they did manage to raise a few babies, so good on them!)

Uvb is t5.0 linear bulb from reptisun.

Gut loading is a mix of all sorts of things frozen into cubes as well as fresh veggies and fruits left over from me and flax seeds. The mix is predominantly turnip greens, with additional sweet potato, carrots, apple, orange, bee pollen, chia seeds. I got it from a YouTube video for Kripke the Chameleon.

It's all crickets right now because I am waiting to ship superworms. I live in montana so the weather is often too cold to ship things, so I'm trying to find a window of warmth to get em out here.

Nope, no idea beyond maternal lineage to a petstore in Idaho haha.

As a wildlife biologist, no critter creeps me out haha. I have definitely considered them, they are just more expensive than crickets so I've been wavering back and forth.

I used to do Repashy Calcium Plus LoD three times a week on half of the days feeders. My reading suggested even the LoD isn't that low in D3. I have good T5 lights or the equivalent in all my cages so I feel I can use less. For my growing juveniles or reproducing females I give RCPLoD weekly (Mon) and plain calcium mixed with powdered bee pollen twice weekly (Wed & Fri). My adult males and no longer reproducing females get every other week of RCPLoD and I give plain calcium mix 3 times on the skipped week.
To get the smallest amount of supplement I put the feeders in a deli cup and dispense the supplement from a dollar store salt shaker. It helps me control the amount better than the manufacturers shaker. If I put too much in I just let them run thru it and don't swirl them to coat.

Nope, no idea beyond maternal lineage to a petstore in Idaho haha.

As a wildlife biologist, no critter creeps me out haha. I have definitely considered them, they are just more expensive than crickets so I've been wavering back and forth.
They’re only more expensive to start; then you’ll never have to buy them again. I recommend discoid, dubia, orange heads. All breed easy, none are climbers or fliers.

They’re only more expensive to start; then you’ll never have to buy them again. I recommend discoid, dubia, orange heads. All breed easy, none are climbers or fliers.
Do you need to give them a heat source 24/7? The energy bill is already pretty high where I live.

Do you need to give them a heat source 24/7? The energy bill is already pretty high where I live.
In my limited understanding, Jackson’s can go down to the 40s at night. And since I doubt your house goes that low, a nightime drop to the low to mid 60’s at night is probably great for them. @JacksJill ?

Also @JacksJill, have you read/heard anything about providing higher than normal uvb for Jackson’s?
Not highjacking the post, I assume all parties would benefit here.

In my limited understanding, Jackson’s can go down to the 40s at night. And since I doubt your house goes that low, a nightime drop to the low to mid 60’s at night is probably great for them. @JacksJill ?
Actually, the room I have the cham set up in easily drops to the 50s at night and then I turn the heat back on during the day to get it to the 70s. I meant do the roaches need a heat pad or light to be running 24/7 to keep them in the 90s for breeding, or is a heat source only during the day ok?

Actually, the room I have the cham set up in easily drops to the 50s at night and then I turn the heat back on during the day to get it to the 70s. I meant do the roaches need a heat pad or light to be running 24/7 to keep them in the 90s for breeding, or is a heat source only during the day ok?
Duh! Sorry, I should’ve known. Personally, I find my roaches breed way faster between 80 and 90, but dubias will breed (more slowly) in the 70’s. A sterilize tub with a ceramic heat bulb in it is all you need. And the nice thing about roaches is that their GI tract is way longer than crickets, and pretty much any other feeder, which, as you know, means more potential for gutloading.

Further to my last,

last winter, my roaches were at 75 during the day, and 65 at night, and they bred sufficiently to retain their numbers. This winter I’m heating them to 85all the time, and their numbers are skyrocketing.

Duh! Sorry, I should’ve known. Personally, I find my roaches breed way faster between 80 and 90, but dubias will breed (more slowly) in the 70’s. A sterilize tub with a ceramic heat bulb in it is all you need. And the nice thing about roaches is that their GI tract is way longer than crickets, and pretty much any other feeder, which, as you know, means more potential for gutloading.
Ok, good to know. So my output may be reduced, but I could still get some production from adults if I keep them in other rooms in my house that I don't let drop in temperature below 70. Good stuff. I have just the closet. I think I'm going to go with discoids then. I have pretty sensitive skin, I might as well not even go down the dubia road just in case. Thanks! Do you know if they can climb up texture surfaces? I have the feeder from Full Throttle Feeders that the chame eats out of really well at the moment.

Ok, good to know. So my output may be reduced, but I could still get some production from adults if I keep them in other rooms in my house that I don't let drop in temperature below 70. Good stuff. I have just the closet. I think I'm going to go with discoids then. I have pretty sensitive skin, I might as well not even go down the dubia road just in case. Thanks! Do you know if they can climb up texture surfaces? I have the feeder from Full Throttle Feeders that the chame eats out of really well at the moment.
I use a similar run cup for roaches and haven’t had a problem.

Back
Top Bottom