You want to see a big isopod?

No. No. I won't. I happily feed Wasabi every morning. But I dread it every night & every minute until the next day lmao.

Sooo I will not have EXTRA bugs crazy lol.
That’s entirely understandable, lol. I just got some pantanals from @jamest0o0 and they’re way larger than I had anticipated. As it currently stands, I’m terrified of them and dread reaching into their bin to feed them/remove old food. In fact, it‘s turned into a bit of a routine - every morning i tell myself “oh god oh my god” while psyching myself up to lift the lid. They’re so gigantic, their legs make a ridiculous amount of scratching noise when they see light and scatter (apparently they‘re not too thrilled with the idea of me, either). Meanwhile, I tell my isopods how cute they are. I dunno. Some bugs grow on you, some stay nightmarish lol

Not looking for props, just pointing out how things change sometimes 🙂. My bug collections aren't something I run around and show off haha. Just to all of you nerds on the forums.
Yea I understand that. Things do change. I guess it's hard for me to even think I'll be capable cause my OCD but who knows maybe 1 day. 😁

Don't expect you to love them, but in time, you can at least overcome fears. Pretty much how humans adapt to everything around the globe 🤷‍♂️.

I didn't like roaches at all, but in the past 5 years I've kept over 40 species among other insects in a room for them lol.
You went from disliking roaches to dedicating an entire room in your home to them? Talk about character development. I hope to follow in those same footsteps, assuming my fiancé doesn’t pack his bags over my filling any room of the house up with bugs 😂

I may not be too far off. I talk to my surinams (as far as roaches go, I like them the best lol)

That’s entirely understandable, lol. I just got some pantanals from @jamest0o0 and they’re way larger than I had anticipated. As it currently stands, I’m terrified of them and dread reaching into their bin to feed them/remove old food. In fact, it‘s turned into a bit of a routine - every morning i tell myself “oh god oh my god” while psyching myself up to lift the lid. They’re so gigantic, their legs make a ridiculous amount of scratching noise when they see light and scatter (apparently they‘re not too thrilled with the idea of me, either). Meanwhile, I tell my isopods how cute they are. I dunno. Some bugs grow on you, some stay nightmarish lol
Omg .. I would freak hearing their legs lol. I freak out changing their food too. I need to do a cleaning. & omg I don't want too hahaha. I need to order more bugs next week & I'm terrified lmao. Every morning I hype myself up. I need like a pep talk lol like okay here we go here we go. You got this. Lmao.
Anyways I'm glad you can relate. I know it gets easier for some but having OCD. (Germaphobia) this is like my worst nightmare. I don't know what I was thinking getting into this. But I'm trying to be strong. Last night I had kind of a break down. Cleaning his cage & over thinking the he'll out of it. But I'm better this morning. 💗💖

You went from disliking roaches to dedicating an entire room in your home to them? Talk about character development. I hope to follow in those same footsteps, assuming my fiancé doesn’t pack his bags over my filling any room of the house up with bugs 😂

I may not be too far off. I talk to my surinams (as far as roaches go, I like them the best lol)
Lmao I hope too as well! I want to get a stans for all my bugs. Right now my roaches sit in a big container on my floor & I constantly look to make sure it's not tipped over lmao🤦‍♀️

Omg .. I would freak hearing their legs lol. I freak out changing their food too. I need to do a cleaning. & omg I don't want too hahaha. I need to order more bugs next week & I'm terrified lmao. Every morning I hype myself up. I need like a pep talk lol like okay here we go here we go. You got this. Lmao.
Anyways I'm glad you can relate. I know it gets easier for some but having OCD. (Germaphobia) this is like my worst nightmare. I don't know what I was thinking getting into this. But I'm trying to be strong. Last night I had kind of a break down. Cleaning his cage & over thinking the he'll out of it. But I'm better this morning. 💗💖
I'm sorry you struggle with that, I kind of know the hopeless feeling of thinking you can't change aspects of yourself. I have OCD as well, I don't know how serious it'd be considered, but enough to impact my life at times. Most people don't really notice it other than my quirks(brush my teeth particularly and very thorough, wash my hands a lot, etc) it's not Germaphobia much, if at all, but perfectionism(which isn't as cool as it sounds). I will go crazy in my mind trying to perfect every aspect of something and have trouble putting less important things aside. I have a better control over it now, but some things can make it worse. The thing is, I end up putting a lot of projects I want to do off because the level I take it to just gets too stressful. I could work all day on something and only see what still needs to be done, spending long amounts of time on fine little details. This makes some things I do turn out pretty nice, but I'm also slow to do a lot and it eats me up inside. I can procrastinate often too. There are days(fewer and further between since I've been working on it) where I just freak out and shut down from the seemingly endless overwhelming tasks in my head lol. On the outside people don't see it if they don't know me well. Intensity helps me put it aside temporarily... so weightlifting/exercise is pretty much my medicine. I also did some training in muay thai, bjj, and boxing in the past which I loved, but time/money got in the way of it( still hoping to get my kids into it in a year or two).

I'm sorry you struggle with that, I kind of know the hopeless feeling of thinking you can't change aspects of yourself. I have OCD as well, I don't know how serious it'd be considered, but enough to impact my life at times. Most people don't really notice it other than my quirks(brush my teeth particularly and very thorough, wash my hands a lot, etc) it's not Germaphobia much, if at all, but perfectionism(which isn't as cool as it sounds). I will go crazy in my mind trying to perfect every aspect of something and have trouble putting less important things aside. I have a better control over it now, but some things can make it worse. The thing is, I end up putting a lot of projects I want to do off because the level I take it to just gets too stressful. I could work all day on something and only see what still needs to be done, spending long amounts of time on fine little details. This makes some things I do turn out pretty nice, but I'm also slow to do a lot and it eats me up inside. I can procrastinate often too. There are days(fewer and further between since I've been working on it) where I just freak out and shut down from the seemingly endless overwhelming tasks in my head lol. On the outside people don't see it if they don't know me well. Intensity helps me put it aside temporarily... so weightlifting/exercise is pretty much my medicine. I also did some training in muay thai, bjj, and boxing in the past which I loved, but time/money got in the way of it( still hoping to get my kids into it in a year or two).
Thank you. I completely understand. That must be hard but I'm glad you are getting better. I've had it bad for 9 yrs. Just got meds for it a couple months ago. I need a therapist & behavior therapist for extra help though. I'm a hand washer at least 50 times a day. & if my hand touches anything extra before I get back to my room I need to re do it. I shut my door with a napkin. I don't like my hand touching anything. I use hand sanitizer a very unhealthy amount. & wear gloves alot. I've been testing my limits with bugs & stuff but I'm way out of my element. I have 3 bags of crickets I need to transfer here shortly & I'm freaking the eff out. Lmao I'm scared 1 is gonna get loose. But I'm like pull it together it's just crickets. Lol I'm a mess.

But thank you. I video game for my destraction lol hopefully your kids will like that. That would he cool!

Well I started selling them as a little side thing because I had extras, but yeah a lot of the species just started to interest me. Some have pretty crazy colors, patterns, and behavior. My wife only tolerated it because it was in the basement out of sight. The little extra income helped too. The first time I got roaches as feeders though, she was freaking out lol 🤷🏻‍♂️. The things that really bother her are things that are scary in a dangerous sort of way, like snakes are her ultimate fear(I think they're awesome, but I think most weird creatures are).

Well I started selling them as a little side thing because I had extras, but yeah a lot of the species just started to interest me. Some have pretty crazy colors, patterns, and behavior. My wife only tolerated it because it was in the basement out of sight. The little extra income helped too. The first time I got roaches as feeders though, she was freaking out lol 🤷🏻‍♂️. The things that really bother her are things that are scary in a dangerous sort of way, like snakes are her ultimate fear(I think they're awesome, but I think most weird creatures are).
My aunt is like that lol. She doesn't wanna hear about them or see them. But she knows I have them. Lolol

Not to jump on the OCD bandwagon here, but can totally relate to both you and @Snuits. Have OCD, as well as severe anxiety. Always knew I had OCD but was officially diagnosed 3 years ago. Both it and anxiety have impacted my life to the degree that I am currently unable to work because of it (I’m on disability and my fiancé is a computer tech at a school). I won’t get into all the gory details, but It can be really agonizing at times. In fact, I have described it to others as downright suffering on bad days and I meant every word of it when I said that.

@jamest0o0 cannot stress this enough - I so get the perfectionism and stressing ALL. DAY. over small details that you constantly feel compelled to fix/tweak/do whatever to until you give up. This is absolutely why I don’t do art anymore unless I’m paid for it and then I have to. I also completely understand what it’s like to deal with this sort of thing, and only the people closest to you know about it.

I’ll put a cap on it here. I definitely did not mean to turn bugs into therapy hour 🤣 speaking of which - my therapist will be horrified thoroughly when I tell her I’ve got three small colonies of roaches in my house on purpose

Last edited:
It’s hard to feel totally negative about anything that generates extra income, so I get that! Naturally I’m glad she was able to get over her initial freak out - look at how it’s turned out for you. I guess in these situations, the non-bug keeping partner has to go through a sort of period where they learn to get acclimated to them. My fiancé finally took a look at my new pantanals the other day and definitely had a freak out moment. A day-long freak out moment.

Snakes ARE awesome, but when you’re *that* terrified of something, you can’t help the reaction 😂

Not to jump on the OCD bandwagon here, but can totally relate to both you and @Snuits. Have OCD, as well as severe anxiety. Always knew I had OCD but was officially diagnosed 3 years ago. Both it and anxiety have impacted my life to the degree that I am currently unable to work because of it (I’m on disability and my fiancé is a computer tech at a school). I won’t get into all the gory details, but It can be really agonizing at times. In fact, I have described it to others as downright suffering on bad days and I meant every word of it when I said that.

@jamest0o0 cannot stress this enough - I so get the perfectionism and stressing ALL. DAY. over small details that you constantly feel compelled to fix/tweak/do whatever to until you give up. This is absolutely why I don’t do art anymore unless I’m paid for it and then I have to. I also completely understand what it’s like to deal with this sort of thing, and only the people closest to you know about it.

I’ll put a cap on it here. I definitely did not mean to turn bugs into therapy hour 🤣 speaking of which - my therapist will be horrified thoroughly when I tell her I’ve got three small colonies of roaches in my house on purpose
I have severe anxiety & depression as well. I can't work either & will be going on disability soon. It is 100% suffering. It's never anything I like to admit.
That I let something as little as touching a pen without gloves ruin my day. It's very disabling & I feel anything but normal. But you guys have shown me I'm not alone. & I'm really glad I got into this hobby. Wasabi is teaching me alot. & putting way past limits I thought I would never do. So I'm thankful for him & you guys! Although I have a long way to go. I'm proud to say I've put a BSFL in the middle of my hand & let him eat out of it.

I freaked after & read way to many health things on the chameleon academy page. But I still did it. & 1 step. 1 day at a time.

I understand perfection too. Or where I think that even me cooking is wasting food because what if my aunt doesn't like it. I suffer with my thoughts all day long. & a chameleon forum is the last place I thought I would spill all my guts. But I'm happy to have people who relate & care.

I truly hope your days get better & easier. & I'm here for you! Goodluck. 💗

Sorry friends. Didn't mean to ignore you all on this post. Do either of you take any supplements or have any practices outside of medication that seem to help? I wouldn't say mine is severe these days, it doesn't affect me at work much other than I can be slow until I figure out a system for myself(then I'm often fast lol). Mainly at home, I over focus on every detail rather than prioritize like a normal person. Everything is overwhelming at first until I get used to it. I can't complain though, it could be much worse. These past few years I've managed much better... I hope things get better for you both.

It’s hard to feel totally negative about anything that generates extra income, so I get that! Naturally I’m glad she was able to get over her initial freak out - look at how it’s turned out for you. I guess in these situations, the non-bug keeping partner has to go through a sort of period where they learn to get acclimated to them. My fiancé finally took a look at my new pantanals the other day and definitely had a freak out moment. A day-long freak out moment.

Snakes ARE awesome, but when you’re *that* terrified of something, you can’t help the reaction 😂
Lol I just told my wife to deal with it. She freaked a little at first, but if she didn't like me she could have left 🤷🏻‍♂️. She's accepting of me though, as long as the critters aren't terrorizing her in one way or another.

Personally, I'm pretty good at getting over irrational fears. I can be grossed out or skeptical of something at first, but I kind of force myself to understand it and then it's fine. Like I knew I'd hate roaches, but then get sick of being scared of them lol. Didn't think I'd end up LIKING them thiugh.

I have severe anxiety & depression as well. I can't work either & will be going on disability soon. It is 100% suffering. It's never anything I like to admit.
That I let something as little as touching a pen without gloves ruin my day. It's very disabling & I feel anything but normal. But you guys have shown me I'm not alone. & I'm really glad I got into this hobby. Wasabi is teaching me alot. & putting way past limits I thought I would never do. So I'm thankful for him & you guys! Although I have a long way to go. I'm proud to say I've put a BSFL in the middle of my hand & let him eat out of it.

I freaked after & read way to many health things on the chameleon academy page. But I still did it. & 1 step. 1 day at a time.

I understand perfection too. Or where I think that even me cooking is wasting food because what if my aunt doesn't like it. I suffer with my thoughts all day long. & a chameleon forum is the last place I thought I would spill all my guts. But I'm happy to have people who relate & care.

I truly hope your days get better & easier. & I'm here for you! Goodluck. 💗
I’m sorry I’m a little late I don’t have OCD but I am a germaphobe and have social anxiety …. I can relate just a tiny little little little bit. I don’t know what it’s like to have OCD and I won’t know unless I’m in your guys shoes….. I just wanted to let you guys know that YOU are loved…. YOU are needed…. YOU are awesome….. YOU be you…. this world needs you….. I will be praying for all of you…. I hope you have a awesome day, month, uear, life

@Snuits @jamest0o0 @PlanetRemulak

I’m sorry I’m a little late I don’t have OCD but I am a germaphobe and have social anxiety …. I can relate just a tiny little little little bit. I don’t know what it’s like to have OCD and I won’t know unless I’m in your guys shoes….. I just wanted to let you guys know that YOU are loved…. YOU are needed…. YOU are awesome….. YOU be you…. this world needs you….. I will be praying for all of you…. I hope you have a awesome day, month, uear, life

Thank you so much darling! You're so sweet. ♡♡

Thank you lol. We all have something going on... and doesn't take a psychologist to see most of this forum has some sort of mental illness 🙈

Back
Top Bottom