yike- need your help with rescue - young veild

little leaf

Avid Member
ok, sooooo I got another rescue - not a puppy or kitten this time - a young male veild - I only just got him here a few hrs ago- he is in good weight- a tad dehydrated- but- he can not seem to move only 1 of his 3 legs- his grip is ok on 3, and really strong on the 4th- also missing most of his tail - I am sure he has MBD- I am going to set him up in a shallow tote- only about 5" deep - so the air will flow- but , how does anyone suggest I put heat for him in the am - he can not move if he gets to hot- the ppl had his temps way to low- 70 for a high :(
they told me he was fine up until a week ago( hmmmmmm)- his legs are straight, and he pooped, a bit of undigested crix- but whites on top- I do not have high hope for him- but want to try what I can - I am going to see about getting him a cal/ shot - I have not dealt with MBD before- he got NO uvb, cal/ or anything - a red light- and a "day glow" put way to high - it makes me sad - he was on CL for almost 2 mos- then "free" - so I told them I would try to help the little guy- but I also need YOUR help - we are due for a snow storm starting in the afternoon on Tue - I can not get off work- I was suppose to be off today- but did not get him until tonight - and wont be able to get to my vet until Sunday - what can I do to help him for now ? he has no set up to speak of- more like a bed in a tote- I was going to make a critical care cage, but he can not hold onto anything at all- so put him in a little bed- any help would be appreciated until I can call my vet in the am - I dont think filling out a "ask for hlep" will help right now- as there is nothing to fill out yet- :( I was told he is 4 mo old- also - I noticed , his casque is swollen ? like puffy on top -

Last edited:
i have never dealt with anything like this but i did want to say i hope the best and you are amazing for everything you do for all of your rescues and offer my support and well wishes!!! i hope the best for this little guy!! it sounds like a bed with a warm temp is the best that can be done at this point, i wouldnt warm him up too fast in case it might throw him into shock but warmer then he was definitely!!! keep us updated on him please

OH Cheryl, this is so sad, I wish I was there to help, I can't stand to think of that poor baby in that bad of shape, I know you will do all you can and I so admire you for the care you give these poor animals and reptiles....just keep him warm, hydrated and calm is all I know...prayers tonight for him and you.

If he seems unable to move and hunt might I suggest investing in a liquid calcium to help strengthen his bones for the time being? Try to force feed him along with it?

Thanks guys - I just try to do my best, and help the little ones who need it , I know you all would do the same :) I am just keeping him warm for tonight- and comfy as I can - he is a cute little thing - I feel bad for him- he just points his little turrets at me , but I can see a bit of "spark" in his eye - like he is not giving up yet :D I am going to offer him some tender young mantis in the am - lol Olive has been having a blast eating them - I just worry about the heat issue in the am - I dont want to "bake" him - I have him at 74 for now- and a moist paper towel on the side of the tote , but not near him , just by the heat source ( a little heating pad on its side- I dont want to put anything under him , or over him if he can not move away) so it does not get to dry- the ppl met w/ my sister to drop him off ( in a COLD box) because I was at the vet w/ the puppy and Apacie - he ATE my dads O2 cord- so we had to get that out, and the puppy had to have his due-claws removed- ( I think that is WRONG ! but anyway...) I bet he was the happiest cham on earth- I told her "keep him warm until I get there " - SHE PUT HIM IN HER BRA !!!! LOL ( I forgot to tell her there was a cage upstairs ready for him - WITH HEAT - lol I love my sis !! :p

If he seems unable to move and hunt might I suggest investing in a liquid calcium to help strengthen his bones for the time being? Try to force feed him along with it?

yes- I was thinking that- but I can only get it in the am - we are in a small town- VERY small- we have one stop light- and we turn it off when school is out for the year - LOL - so I will have to travel to another town to get it , but not until the am :(
has anyone used this- how do I dose it- I am also going to be working w/ Laurie on him , so I am also going to pick her brain :D:p;)

I know when you use the liquid diet method you should also incorporate (along with the calcium) vitamin D3 to aid in the metabolic bone disease recuperation. On many bottles of liquid calcium it will tell you the amount you should use per weight. So an electronic gram scale may also be needed.

When we were having to feed Picasso with a syringe, Steve would put the calcium powder in the bug juice just like if he were dusting the crickets, it seemed to work well on Picasso, he had to be fed with a syringe for several weeks and never developed any MBD, so I guess he was getting enough.

When we were having to feed Picasso with a syringe, Steve would put the calcium powder in the bug juice just like if he were dusting the crickets, it seemed to work well on Picasso, he had to be fed with a syringe for several weeks and never developed any MBD, so I guess he was getting enough.

I was also going to do that- you guys did the most amazing job with Picasso- he is so lucky to have gotten someone willing to go the extra mile for him - he is such a cute chammy- and all you went threw- hats off to you guys :D:D:D

So looks like the rest of the gang told you just what I had. i am still really worried the he can't move himself at all.

:D So, any update today? Hope he rested well through the night. I would feed him phenix worms and silks in his bug juice also since they are really good and have a good cal balance. Did they say if he fell? Hope he's just weak and will improve with you loving care. Anxiously waiting updates.

So looks like the rest of the gang told you just what I had. i am still really worried the he can't move himself at all.

yes, I am also very worried about him not being able to move only but one leg - he did make it threw the night- and I got him going at 6 am - I know a bit early- but Olive has the 7 am spot- lol - I warmed him , then soak, then back to warming, then he ate 3 dusted crix - I have an 18" 5.0 uvb and 88 bask for now- I just dont want to put him really high unless I can sit and watch him to be sure he is not stressing due to heat- but 88 should be ok while i am gone- but he is just so weak , but he can move his legs a bit bettrer - I have him on a freash clipped umberlla plant branch, laying about 1/2 inch off the floor of the tote- so he THINKS he is pearching ;)- should I do the bug J if he is eating crix? I am going to offer mantis later when I get home- (OMG - they are ALL OVER my house :eek::p they must have found a way out- LOL )

edit : he is @ 82- not 88

Last edited:
:D So, any update today? Hope he rested well through the night. I would feed him phenix worms and silks in his bug juice also since they are really good and have a good cal balance. Did they say if he fell? Hope he's just weak and will improve with you loving care. Anxiously waiting updates.

no, I dont think he fell- he just stopped moving- but for one, they had him way to cold - no uvb, no bask branch, no mister/dripper- no sup/s at all - she said she did mist him by hand , and fed him crix ( not gut loaded - she did not know what "gut loading " was :( ) its no wonder he made it this far- and his tail " fell off" :mad: they said ~ if he lives, he will always be a "special needs" cham- ( just the kind I love :D )

so glad to hear he made it thru the night!!! i really hope he keeps improving! I would personally try the some bug juice because you could get more bugs in there, therefore a little more nutrients and then still see if he'll keep eating crickets and mantis but thats just me! :)
i cant believe he made it this long with the "care" he was getting from the previous owner :( im so glad you rescued him and i really pray this little guy pulls through..

yeah, me too- he is cute, tough little nugget- I think maybe I will name him Nugget? he is like the size of a chicken tender- nugget :p
I am going to start him on the Bug J/ w. critical care diet added - I just hope he does well- I wish ppl would not wait so long to give them up , if they see them failing , why do they wait so long? I see this in almost every rescue ppl bring me - :( no matter how bad they look, I always try- I have had kittens that were so close to death- one , I even thought WAS dead, but he made it- so I never give up hope- ya just never know :)

im so sorry to here about this little guy are you sure he is a veiled chameleon he looks more like a graceful then a veiled or flapneck maybe. im not a pro but i do know veileds very well. the only reason i am bringing this to your attention is because i believe thier care is a bit different. do you have another pic or two? hows the little guy doing today?

So glad he made it through the night and is able to eat.....he sounds like a little fighter and is determined to make it through, still in our thoughts and prayers.

im so sorry to here about this little guy are you sure he is a veiled chameleon he looks more like a graceful then a veiled or flapneck maybe. im not a pro but i do know veileds very well. the only reason i am bringing this to your attention is because i believe thier care is a bit different. do you have another pic or two? hows the little guy doing today?

well, I know its not a Graceful- I had one of those - she was a great little cham :D I will put some more pics up - but I think it is a veild - but I have never had a V/ - he is really dotty- and spotty - I will go get some pics - then we can see :) but he is not doing well at all - even tho he made the night - all we can do is XX our fingers for the little guy -

Back
Top Bottom