yet another URI thread :(

Are those pictures recent? I'm only familiar with panthers, but he doesn't look like a really sick or dehydrated cham to me.

yes the pictures were taken that day. i agree, he does not look dehydrated at all! that's exactly why i cant figure this out!

D: uh-oh. maybe a larger target like say Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches ( I love my species:p) that would b larger and easier 2 hit? (don't criticize me if u already tried this I only read the first page I will read the rest and come back and edit if I need 2)

All we can give you are guess's. Blood work needs to be done to determine the cause of the edema. The lack of interest in food could be caused by many things.

Carl

I give him a calcium and D3 dusting on his crickets about twice a month.

Wait, you're giving him calcium withDd3 twice a month? Is that all he's getting for supplementation? He should be getting calcium with no D3 every day, and D3 twice a month. He needs plain calcium every day.

Jackson's need different supplementation than Panther's if I am correct. They need calcium without D3 at MOST feedings, calcium with d3 once a month, and a multivitamin supplement once a month.

D: uh-oh. maybe a larger target like say Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches ( I love my species:p) that would b larger and easier 2 hit? (don't criticize me if u already tried this I only read the first page I will read the rest and come back and edit if I need 2)
Thanks for the advice, but i dont really think he could eat them. He is a very small guy (only 7 or 8 inches including tail) and couldnt eat anything more than maybe a worm or large cricket. If he was bigger, I would totally try this though-its a good idea :). Thanks anyway!

Wait, you're giving him calcium withDd3 twice a month? Is that all he's getting for supplementation? He should be getting calcium with no D3 every day, and D3 twice a month. He needs plain calcium every day.

After another thread, someone else had messaged me telling me calcium + D3 twice a month was all. And the people i got him from who gave me the dusting told me to put it on the crickets twice a month. so i have been doing that forever.:confused:

Although it is true that Jackson's don't need as much supplementation as other species, they should be getting calcium at least 2-3 times a week (every other day). D3 twice a month is fine. Also, if your cham's diet consists of crickets and dubia, these feeders should be lightly dusted with calcium every time. Crickets and dubia have a really low calcium to phosphorus ratio, so dusting them with calcium helps to balance that out. So, even if they say every other day of calcium is fine, if you're feeding crickets, the crickets should automatically be given to them with calcium dusted on them. Same with dubia.

Thank you for not lecturing me and for trying so hard to help.
For all of you others who may be reading this and thinking I am irresponsible, unprepared, uncommitted, and who knows what else...

I AM ONLY 13! there's really not much I can do here...

BTW, it's been a while since this thread was first started. Any changes?
nope, not that I've seen...
he's still really swollen.
Eating and drinking but on a smaller scale. Misting his place so many times a day. Its hard to know what he's doing when I'm at school, but my parents check on him, give him water, and mist

He definitely isn't dehydrated, at least not any more. In the beginning, I wouldn't doubt that he was. I believe his urates are okay. Like I said, its hard to tell because I'm at school all day. When I got home, I checked the ones that looked... 'fresher'... and I didn't spot any orange or other discoloration.
By the way I don't want you (simphonica [Sorry I think I misspelled that]) to take offense to that last few posts, they were not aimed towards you or really anyone helping me on this thread. You guys have been nothing but helpful.
Many thanks :)

Make sure he stays hydrated and reduce the D3 to once a month and just a light dusting as long as you have him under good lighting. Keep the calcium going daily but just light dustings. I would not give any multivitamins. Make sure the feeders are gut loaded with lots of fruit and veggies and a good dry mix. If or when the edema starts fading let us know and we'll get you going on a good schedule for suplimentation.

If you need a good dry mix PM me and I'll send you some of my mix.

Carl

Make sure he stays hydrated and reduce the D3 to once a month and just a light dusting as long as you have him under good lighting. Keep the calcium going daily but just light dustings. I would not give any multivitamins. Make sure the feeders are gut loaded with lots of fruit and veggies and a good dry mix. If or when the edema starts fading let us know and we'll get you going on a good schedule for suplimentation.

If you need a good dry mix PM me and I'll send you some of my mix.

Carl

thank you very much. i gut load the crickets with potatoes, apple, and other scraps from the kitchen. the place i get them from feeds them only oatmeal and potato.
as for lighting he has a recommended uvb and heat lamp in a reflecting dome.

thank you very much. i gut load the crickets with potatoes, apple, and other scraps from the kitchen. the place i get them from feeds them only oatmeal and potato.
as for lighting he has a recommended uvb and heat lamp in a reflecting dome.

Previous dehydration could have damaged his kidneys, kicking off renal failure and other organ problems. However, the description of renal failure symptoms you quoted could also fit other problems, so without blood testing you really won't know. I think I'd agree with Carl, to keep him very very hydrated (to help damaged kidneys do their metabolic filtering job better), and rely on gutloading your insects as the main source of nutrition instead of dusts. Too easy to overdo the dusting. Gutload the insects you buy for a couple of days before feeding them to him. The pet shop gutloading isn't great so you want to replace it with your better stuff.

I know it's hard to be dependent on your parents for vet care decisions. If they don't see your cham as a family member worth spending money on you are sort of stuck. It is one of many reasons chams are not the best choice for younger kids...they don't have as much control over their pets' health care.

No offense taken, Mylo. As Carlton said, chams are definitely not recommended for younger kids unless the parents are also willing to commit 100%, but it would have been very tough for an individual your age to not only come to that conclusion, but to be able to refrain from getting one despite really wanting one. Kids don't have the proper financial means (sometimes, adults don't either) to take care of them. Also, kids have a tendency to change their minds a lot (actually, some adults do too) and these guys can live for quite a number of years. It's really the pet stores' irresponsibility for selling these to anyone who hands them the money. But they will never change. That's why it's so important to try to educate as many people as possible about any animal, not just chams, so that the people can be responsible for themselves to make the conscious, educated decisions.

I know it's hard, but in thinking of what's best for your cham, you may want to consider rehoming him to someone who would be able to take him to the vet's if something like this were to ever happen again. And they should be getting annual wellness exams or at least a fecal exam to check for parasites, and to avoid major illnesses by keeping a close eye on their health.

With these guys being able to live close to ten years, think of how many more opportunities may come up where you have to worry about him like this and feeling helpless because you can't take him to the vet's.

Back
Top Bottom