Yet Another Picky, Spoiled, Tantrum Throwing Chameleon :/

Hello all,

I keep seeing people post about how picky their Panther Chameleons can be, and it has happened to mine as well I believe.

I have about a 2 month old (possibly younger) Panther Chameleon that doesn't seem to be eating Dubias or Black Soldier Fly Larvae. I see him hang out near his feeder bowl but I don't really see him eating them.

I'm gone most of the day and I feed him in the morning as his lights turn on, and while I do see some of the insects missing, I fear that it is the bugs crawling out and hiding somewhere in his enclosure.

He wrecks havoc upon Crickets like a champ. I keep seeing people saying to other threads, to not give into the Chameleon's tantrum as they won't starve themselves if they are healthy.

So here comes the question to those that are experienced in raising young Chameleons, I want to have Dubias and BSFL as my staples, but with a Chameleon this young that needs nutrients to grow, should I keep offering the feeders he doesn't seem to like until I break his hunger strike, or is getting him nutrients when he's this young more important and keep offering those Crickets?

I do gutload crickets when I get them with leafy greens suggested in this forum so hopefully I don't get someone asking this question :) just want to know the importance of fighting a hunger strike vs giving into tantrum for a wee baby Chameleon.

If he was older I'd make him tough it out but under 6 mos. I'd just keep offering the less loved feeders until he develops a taste for them. Gut load the heck out of your crx to make them worth it.

Agreed, at that young, just feed him crickets and whatever else he'll take. After 6 months or so, you can use some tough love. It took me a couple weeks of my cham barely eating roaches to finally accept them regularly. IME the key with roaches is to offer different kinds on a rotation. Like one day dubia, one day oh, one day surinam, etc.

Another odd thing I noticed, my Panthers love superworms, as do most. If I have a cup full of just roaches they'll ignore it. But if I add some superworms, half the time they'll pick out the roaches. Not even from missing the superworm, but just for whatever reason.

Yeah possibly, the orangeheads, ivories, and surinams still tweak out crazy when they're in a cup, but my chams have no problem turning them down at times. The one roach that seems to never fail is GBR. It's a shame they are so small and the larger variety are next to impossible to find.

I think sometimes I mistake them for rocks even... the large males are the opposite though, those things are insane. I've even seen them fly a couple times.

I've heard if you flip over the roaches their feet movement will stimulate a prey response from your chameleon.

roaches are expensiveeee, my dad wants me to buy a couple and breed them but idk... does it usually work out ?

roaches are expensiveeee, my dad wants me to buy a couple and breed them but idk... does it usually work out ?

If you lived near me I'd give you a few hundred, if not a thousand. I have too many and can't be bothered with trying to sell them.

You guys you guys! Big monumental moment.

As I got home and was getting ready to mist Thor, getting ready to admit defeat and drive to the store to get Crickets, not only did he eat a Dubia, but he ate in front of me for the first time ever. (Double win)

I give him a lot of privacy since I read the babies stress easy, and he always used to hide since I got him as a hatchling. He’s starting to be not as shy.

Super exciting moment to witness this alien-dragon tongue event for the first time ever!! :wideyed::love:

Back
Top Bottom