Yet another lighting question

techmikef

Hello,

I thought I saw a thread on this before but I cant find it now. I have read many confilicting things regarding what percentage UVB is appropriate for our chameleons. I have read that they cant get too much, that they can get too much, that the screen on the cage causes a large amount of light loss. Honestly, I am left a little disconcerted that there is so little consensus on a topic that is so critical to the health of these creatures.

I will be using a 24 x 24 x 48 cage from DIYcages. So my question is basiclly this. Should I get the arcadia 6% or the arcadia 12% bulb for my pet?

Hello,

I thought I saw a thread on this before but I cant find it now. I have read many confilicting things regarding what percentage UVB is appropriate for our chameleons. I have read that they cant get too much, that they can get too much, that the screen on the cage causes a large amount of light loss. Honestly, I am left a little disconcerted that there is so little consensus on a topic that is so critical to the health of these creatures.

I will be using a 24 x 24 x 48 cage from DIYcages. So my question is basiclly this. Should I get the arcadia 6% or the arcadia 12% bulb for my pet?

The reason for the debate is that there are many variables. Are you going with a high output light? (T5 type) If so you should be O.K. with a 6% Arcadia. Thats what I use for my veiled. I am not opposed to those who say 12% is fine (their animals are doing well with it!), and only add that you want to make sure to have plenty of foliage for the cham to move out of the light if needed. The amount of light blocked out by the screen would not make me buy a 12% UVB, especially with the Arcadias. I noticed a HUGE difference in brightness as soon as I switched. As long as your fixture has a good reflector you would be fine using a 6%. Hope this helps! ;)

Back
Top Bottom