Yes!! - 1st hatchlings are out!!!!

joefarah

Very exciting!!!!

PantherBabies2001a.jpg

Mom

ShowHerps006.jpg

Dad is unknown because this female was supposedly a virgin when i bought her. She was already gravid though and laid a clutch of eggs shortly after arriving at my place. All the eggs went bad but 3. 2 have hatched so far and the 3rd looks good. Just a bonus i wasn't expecting...

She went on to mate my male and laid a few good fertile clutches after which are due to hatch over the next few months.

Thanks for looking!

Congratulations!

Congratulations! What a cute baby picture! What type of cage are you keeping them in? I'm very excited for you :)

Congrats on your first hatching. I'm curious about your female's source. Was she wild caught or hatched in the States? If hatched here and from a reliable source, is it possible she really was a virgin when this clutch was laid?

Thanks guys!

Pardalisgirl, Im keeping the hatchlings in clear, tall, plastic delicups with a small part of screen at the top to let in the UV rays...

Any housing suggestions would be very much appreciated - see my thread in "general discussion" under "help with hatchling panthers".

THanks!

Congrats on your first hatching. I'm curious about your female's source. Was she wild caught or hatched in the States? If hatched here and from a reliable source, is it possible she really was a virgin when this clutch was laid?

Thanks!

I'd love to tell you more about mom, but unfortunately the reptile shop that sold her to me could not tell me anything about her background. I seriously doubt she was actually a virgin though... So i'm just saying father is unknown...

Either the shop owner lied or i witnessed the first ever chameleon parthenegenesis.... One is much more likely to be true.

Last edited:
Thanks!

I'd love to tell you more about mom, but unfortunately the reptile shop that sold her to me could not tell me anything about her background. I seriously doubt she was actually a virgin though... So i'm just saying father is unknown...

Its much more likely that the shop owner knew that I was more likely to buy her if she wasn't an aging breeder...

Darn. I'm still waiting for someone to document parthenogenesis in a chameleon species. Checked out your website in the meantime. I'm very impressed with your P. klemmeri. Best of luck with them....and the rest of your collection too! Welcome to the site :)

Please, call me Kent. Haha, I've always wanted to say that :cool:

It seems we have pretty similar tastes in what we keep. I keep dendrobatids, Morelia viridis (which I think will be declared a subsp. of M. spilotes again, but that's another story), and chameleons. Although I've never actually owned a gecko because of space constraints I've always really liked the Phelsumas for obvious reasons. Somewhere around here I have an article documenting one of, if not the first, imports of P. klemmeri into the US. Never seen one in person, but I've always liked them since seeing the pics in that article.

Indeed Kent, we do have similar tastes. Although it looks like your passion for chameleons outways mine by a bit. That is interesting stuff about the klemmeri documentation, i'd be interested to read that.

BTW - I actually sold ALL of my geckos recently because they were too much work and space, ect...

Right now I'm just keeping carpet, woma, and green tree pythons, and of course, panther chams. Plus a few amphibian odds and ends.

Also, don't get me started about the Morelia complex... did you hear a guy successfully bred "carpondros" and proved them fertile. I know the guy so i actually believe the claim!

Nice to meet you, BTW!

Also, don't get me started about the Morelia complex... did you hear a guy successfully bred "carpondros" and proved them fertile. I know the guy so i actually believe the claim!

Ok, I'll try not to, but yeah, I've been thinking that means the individual species designations are no longer accurate. I was thinking a couple individuals had proven fertility in carpondros this year. I know Marc Spataro did it and that Chris Rouille was at least trying (and probably would.) I also think I heard of at least one other person but can't remember now. Who do you know?

Bummer about selling the geckos. I should be studying for finals now so I'll see if I can find that Klemmer's article tomorrow and see if there's anything interesting. Send me a pm if I forget!

Sounds good kent!

Also, before we leave this topic i just wanted to point out that so far no one has actually bred carpondro to carpondro successfully yet - only carpondros back to GTP's or Carpets (parent species).

Crazy huh!

Talk to you later,

Joe

Sorry, and the guy i know who bred carpondro to JCP is name Jay Kiessling.
You can see his post and pics of hatchlings on the kingsnake forums under Morelia.

Back
Top Bottom