Female Panther Chameleon retaining sperm? W

Chris.rosa

So I bred my female panther for the first time on 2/13/21 and she laid a clutch of 32 eggs on 3/3/21 which were all fertile. A few weeks after she laid for the first time I would notice she would turn gravid colors sometimes still but she never went off of eating food. I never bred her twice only the first time I bred her on 2/13/21 but she just laid another clutch yesterday of 36 more eggs that all look to be fertile as well. Is this because she retained sperm from the male?

So I bred my female panther for the first time on 2/13/21 and she laid a clutch of 32 eggs on 3/3/21 which were all fertile. A few weeks after she laid for the first time I would notice she would turn gravid colors sometimes still but she never went off of eating food. I never bred her twice only the first time I bred her on 2/13/21 but she just laid another clutch yesterday of 36 more eggs that all look to be fertile as well. Is this because she retained sperm from the male?
She is doing very well still, I made sure to give her lots of food and water after she has this much stress out on her again. I have another question, under what section would I be able to sell some of the babies/eggs on the chameleon forums?

Yes they retain sperm. You might even get a few more eggs from her in the next clutch....or even more clutches sometimes.

Woo I knew they retained sperm but didn't know/ realise the female would lay as soon after her last lay. How often did your girl lay before breeding what age is she ?

Woo I knew they retained sperm but didn't know/ realise the female would lay as soon after her last lay. How often did your girl lay before breeding what age is she ?
She never laid an infertile clutch I first bred her when she was about 9 months old and weighed 70 grams. I did lots of research and saw you should wait until they are a year old to breed but I also saw that it’s the same stress for them to lay an infertile clutch as it is for a fertile clutch so I decided to go that route. She is now about 1 year old.

Hi as you stated fertile/infertile eggs same stress / pressure on a female cham body. But Im sure you know anyway keeping lower basking temps and a more controlled diet for your girl will help keep the number of eggs produced lower as obviously higher numbers will put more strain on her body. My girl produced 1st 42 then 53 but after some adjustments have got her down last time to 22 .

Back
Top Bottom