Yemen male not well?

Jimbosliceee

Hello, new to this forum!
My male Yemen is approx 1 year old, he has been fine up until now. All correct conditions etc, fed often on locusts, waxworms and the odd cricket. All dusted with correct products as and when required. The past couple of days he has become very slow, weak and lifeless. Tried making him drink but he isnt interested. He usually will take water out of a bottle when Im holding him.
Any ideas of diagnosis or treatments, apart from the obvious - vets.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 1014280_10152913827390627_1928635123_n.jpg
    1014280_10152913827390627_1928635123_n.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 86
I know this isn't the answer you want, but VET ASAP!!! Are you sure of the age?How long have you had him? I would suggest filling out the "How to ask for help" form...https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/ because there are going to be a lot of questions that could be answered and could help us figure out the best advice to give. I don't want to sound accusatory, so please don't take it this way, but your chameleon looks very small for a year old. Also, I'm not sure if it is from the picture, but I see what could be signs of MBD or at the least, a supplement deficiency. What type of lighting are you using? I really hope your little guy gets better soon, but I think you should get to a vet now! It will be a good idea to have the attached form filled out so your vet can see your husbandry techniques as well and make the best diagnosis.

After taking a second look at the pic, it does seem to be the angle of the picture and not MBD, but can't be positive.

Thanks so far guys. Im working till 4:30, but as soon as im home I will fill out that form. He is older than one. I got him on 27/06/2012, at 12 weeks old. His mouth is only open in that picture because I was trying to get some water down him. I have got two UVB bulbs, one of which is only a month old. He is in an exo terra viv, 3 ft by 2 ft. I have seen him drink out of a water bowl a few times, aswel as providing him water by hand. Its only come on the last couple of days, he was absolutely fine on Saturday.
Anyone know of any vets in Altrincham area, manchester?

He has calcium power with D3, and a multi vitamin one, off the top of my head I dont know the name. Yeh, a small bowl which he occasionally will take from, gets changed every day with fresh. Attached is a pic of him around a week ago

Attachments

• l.jpg
    l.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 80
How much do you generally feed him? Is he still eating at all? If so, you could try to give him a silk or hornworm to aid with hydration.

Yea. so heres part of your issue.

He got no calcium without d3.

He needs a calcium with no d3 every feeding. a calcium with d3 twice a month, and a multivitamin twice a month.

see that rounded corner of his elbow? it should make a solid corner, not be rounded like that.

this is a sign of mbd.

Chams should not have water bowls.

First, the rarely drink water that is standing.

and second- even if you replace the water daily, it can still grow bacteria.

he can poop in it, or a bug can poop in it, and if he somehow ingests that water, it can cause severe infection.

His growth is stunted as well. his casque is not tall and straight, and he is much smaller than a 1 year old cham should be.

YOu need to get him to a vet to get his calcium levels back in balance.

Try calling local vets near you, and ask if they have a herp vet, and if so, it they have experience with chams

Last edited:
Just checked the suppliements ive been giving him.
-Komodo Premium Chameleon Insect Dusting Powder
-Normal calcium - daily
-Calcium with D3.

Like you said, the d3 was only twice a month. Thanks for the adice RE the water, Ill take it out. The pet shop I got it from said it would be fine if its changed daily.
He eats a lot, always been greedy, vary his diet with locusts, mealworms, waxworms and crickets. (locusts & crickets gut loaded with greens and sometimes red peppers). I did think he was quite small, but just presumed they were slow growing, as I havent had a cham before.

Just checked the suppliements ive been giving him.
-Komodo Premium Chameleon Insect Dusting Powder
-Normal calcium - daily
-Calcium with D3.

Like you said, the d3 was only twice a month. Thanks for the adice RE the water, Ill take it out. The pet shop I got it from said it would be fine if its changed daily.
He eats a lot, always been greedy, vary his diet with locusts, mealworms, waxworms and crickets. (locusts & crickets gut loaded with greens and sometimes red peppers). I did think he was quite small, but just presumed they were slow growing, as I havent had a cham before.

What brand was the normal calcium, and ar you sure it had no d3?

I don't know anything about the komodo, as I use repashy all in one.

MBD cannot be cured, but you can stop its progression if you get to a vet.

you will probably have to do calcium injections, or liquid calcium in his water.

if you can, get him outside for natural sun AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. <- not yelling, just emphasizing. :)

Your little guy is in bad shape and requires emmediate medical attention
or he will die.
You need to get on the phone and find a vet who has reptile experience and make an emergency appointment.
Please let us know what happens.
Good luck

If you are diligent about changing the water and cleaning the bowl it is not likely the problem, but also most likely not necessary. He is probably just a bit small and wont grow as much as some others. I'd say they will generally be close to full size at about a year to a year and a half, and do not require as much food from that point so feeding can be reduced to every other day or so. I couldn't find any other vets that showed they care for reptiles near you, but there were a lot listed nearby. It would be worth getting to know one for emergencies like this!

Rep-Cal 0% D3. Can I mix the none d3 calcium with some water and try to provide him it out a bottle again? Whenever it is sunny outside, I put him in the garden on some trellace which he likes.
Ill ring round some vets and try and find some speciallist reptile ones

You can try.
BUt I think your best bet is to try to find liquid calcium and give him some that way.

I think you can buy liquid calcium at local drug stores.

Yea. so heres part of your issue.

He got no calcium without d3.

He needs a calcium with no d3 every feeding. a calcium with d3 twice a month, and a multivitamin twice a month.

see that rounded corner of his elbow? it should make a solid corner, not be rounded like that.

this is a sign of mbd.

Chams should not have water bowls.

First, the rarely drink water that is standing.

and second- even if you replace the water daily, it can still grow bacteria.

he can poop in it, or a bug can poop in it, and if he somehow ingests that water, it can cause severe infection.

His growth is stunted as well. his casque is not tall and straight, and he is much smaller than a 1 year old cham should be.

YOu need to get him to a vet to get his calcium levels back in balance.

Try calling local vets near you, and ask if they have a herp vet, and if so, it they have experience with chams

I feed my yemens calcium with 3d every feeding and they were healty

chams can overdose on d3.

You shouldn't be feeding calcium with d3 every feeding.

While a d3 overdose would not cause this particular chams issues, it can cause issues with other species.

but it depends on what product you were using.

If its the repashy, it has d3 in it, but its so low its find to feed faily.

This is not a good policy and should be changed. I have seen many chams that have been over dosed on D3 and it can cause a multitude of health issues. For the sake of this OP, D3 twice a month.

chams can overdose on d3.

You shouldn't be feeding calcium with d3 every feeding.

While a d3 overdose would not cause this particular chams issues, it can cause issues with other species.

but it depends on what product you were using.

If its the repashy, it has d3 in it, but its so low its find to feed faily.

this is a really fussy subject, but I use sticky farm tungs brand anyway

Back
Top Bottom