Yemen Cham - Help please

Are you missing the part where the OP mentioned that his local cham community, not pet store, recommends the bulb he chose?

Also, if you reread what I wrote, I never said that a bearded dragon and cham can, or should, use the same bulb. What I did say is that, that particular manufacturer of uvb bulbs, is trusted within the UK dragon community. In an evil plot to make money, bulb manufacturers make more than one type of bulb for different applications.

The problem with this thread is that nobody local to him has told him to get a bulb that is available to him. Reptisuns may not be reasonably obtainable to him or his part of the world. Perhaps he doesnt want to pay the obscene amount of shipping to get a reptisun? Arcadias are readily available to him and are in fact recommended to him throughout his local community.

I am also well aware of the problems that some compact uvb's have caused as it has spread into other reptile communities as well. However, not every compact was causing those problem and therefor it is possible that the bulb he got may be ok. There is a VERY popular member here, with a high post count too, that has a slough of cages and glass enclosures that just so happens to use compact uvb bulbs. So if you don't want to listen to me, which i really don't care, perhaps you will listen to him? https://www.chameleonforums.com/eve...chameleons-glass-31937/index3.html#post293408

I will try this light and ask the vet when Im goin.
Sadly we have really bad snow weather here at the moment and I can't go to the vet, cause its over 120miles away for the best vet.

Just out of curiosity and to humor everyone else, why havent you just gotten the reptisun 5.0 linear/tube style bulb that EVERYONE here recommends?? Is it available to you? There has to be a reason you haven't purchased that bulb.
I will try this light and ask the vet when Im goin.
Sadly we have really bad snow weather here at the moment and I can't go to the vet, cause its over 120miles away for the best vet.

I haven't got it because the danish cham site and the guy at the pet store said that this light was the best, so I got that.

Do you have a link to that site? I encourage you to listen to people on forums like this and even local community sites like your danish site.

However, listening to your petstore is a terrible idea most of the time. As an example, your pet store that you just listened too already sold one bad bulb that caused the problems your cham is having now so why would you listen to anything they have to say again?

Its not the same petstore I went to - I went to one that knows about Chams..

I have been on google now to read about this light and it say that its good.

Its not the same petstore I went to - I went to one that knows about Chams..

I have been on google now to read about this light and it say that its good.

could you give us the link to the site that says this light is good?

Listen.. I did not come here to argue, I came to get help.. And Im doing the best that I can...

Maybe I should just log out again...

Thanks for the help.

Listen.. I did not come here to argue, I came to get help.. And Im doing the best that I can...

Maybe I should just log out again...

Thanks for the help.

We arent arguing with you, we are making sure you are getting the best info possible.

i am just curious about the site, maybe they have information about the bulb and why that bulb is good for chameleons. we are in no way arguing, if anything we only argue amongst ourselves because some things work for some people and vice versa.

this is a forum and as such we only tell you what we think, you can choose whether or not to do what we suggest.

furthermore, the reason we caution you about using the coiled bulb is because in the USA most coil bulbs are very bad for chams, although there are some out now that are not as harmful and may be used, as a "rule of thumb" (general rule) its safer to tell someone to buy a linear tube bulb than say only specific coil bulbs are safe.

But if this bulb is fine for chams we would like to know so we can continue to provide good advice. All of us here care about your cham, we have no doubt you are doing the best you can! The lack of info on chams makes it hard, but we are trying to make the world a better and safer place for all of cham kind!

im a dork i know :p
(i wish my firefox spell check would work on here... :$)

My new advise........

I've spend about 1/2 hour doing my own research on Arcadia bulbs........I trust Chris Anderson implicitely and read the thread about glass enclosures from beginning to end. I have never had anything against glass enclosures anyway, but read it for comments on UVB. Chris uses Exo-Terra compacts when he uses compacts. I saw nothing that talked about Arcadia.

Arcadia is not something I'm familiar with. I'll always recommend people not use a product until they know for sure if it is ok. Being sure, for me, is the recommendation from someone I trust like Chris Anderson or looking at the specifications myself. I have nothing against Danish people or Danish chameleon keepers. I don't have the time to spend on other forums like the one you refer to. I don't have enough time as I'd like for this forum.

The product you bought Leea is this:

http://www.arcadia-uk.info/product.php?pid=18&mid=12&lan=en&sub=&id=4

It is made for reptiles that live in low UVB light situations. The spectrum of it is fine since the wavelengths are above 300. It will not hurt your Veiled's eyes. It will not be a long term solution though because it does not have enough UVB for a Veiled. I would recommend this Arcadia product:

http://www.arcadia-uk.info/product.php?psub=20&pid=79&mid=12&lan=en&sub=&id=4

It produces no UVB below the 300 wavelength. It produces 6% UVB and 30% UVA which is similar to a Reptisun 5.0 linear tube (5% UVB and 30% UVA).

If you can exchange the 2% for the 6% easily I would do it now. If not, use the 2% while he is recovering and then get the 6%. He will need that 6% in the near future.

Back
Top Bottom