Yellow coloring inside chams mouth

Dawniegirl

This is such a newbie question. Sorry but I'm curious... do most or all chameleons have yellow inside their mouths? Is it a certain region of panther cham only that are like this or what? So here's why I'm wondering... I never really saw the inside of my cham's mouth until recently when I had to give his oral meds and shots. I was pleasantly surprised when he opened his mouth to see that it was yellow colored inside... I think it's very cool looking. I had seen a cham for sale be screameleons that specified the yellow mouth so I thought maybe this was a trait that not all chams have, unless of course the meant the outside of the mouth but I was certain the meant inside due to the open mouth pics. So please school me up ;) TIA!!!

Yellow is normal. not sure though if they all have that coloring though. light shades of yellowish/greens are ok too. Darker greens/black or lime/bright/neon greens can all be signs of problems such as mouth rot or liver malfunction

I am so glad you brought this up! I was so use to the nice pink color inside a Veiled mouth it freaked me out when I saw inside my Graceful as his is yellow too.

Ok, Sounds like your saying its pretty common thing. I'm still wondering if it's a region thing or what? What are the inside of the mouth if not yellow or pink? I thought his was white for some reason prior but maybe that was his tongue I was catching a glimp of inside there. His is definitely very yellow, not a light color... I'd say a very bright strong yellow color not at all a pale yellow.

@farrahsc I'm glad to hear someone else was wondering also & I wasn't the only one ;)!!! Thanks

Silkyslim, great picture. I love it! Diego is ambilobe... I'm wondering if certain regions the panthers came from has anything to do w/ it. I guess it something to try to google but that will have to wait until the evening or maybe we can get a reply conform yea or nay before hand.

No you're not weird, I was wondering before too. :). There was an awesome picture of a female with mouth open at one of the breeder sites, and it was so yellow, very cool, really stood out against the darker or whatever colours she had. I was wondering if they all had it. So yeah, good question. :)

Silkyslim, when i opened your pitcure it kicked off my virus scanner which said a trojan was loaded. Running full scan now but be careful.

I took my Nosey Be to the vet yesterday (just an intro,no issues). My vet pointed out my Nosey's yellow mouth and said that it was quite normal. In her words, a yellow mouth in a cat or a dog would not be a good thing, but in this case it was.

I took my Nosey Be to the vet yesterday (just an intro,no issues). My vet pointed out my Nosey's yellow mouth and said that it was quite normal. In her words, a yellow mouth in a cat or a dog would not be a good thing, but in this case it was.

I know it's not abnormal but what I wondering & can't seem to find out is if it's a regional thing or something not so common. So far a sambava, my ambilobe & your nosey be all have it so maybe not a trait specific to a certain region of panther chams but is it this more rare & a more sought after trait for a panther cham? Maybe it's a common thing & would be uncommon not to have the yellow mouth. That's what I would like to find out.

I don't think there are any studies to find out regional mouth colors. I would think people care about the outside coloring most. It's just kinda random.

I don't think there are any studies to find out regional mouth colors. I would think people care about the outside coloring most. It's just kinda random.

Yah, I got curious about it after seeing a picture of one for sale & they had pointed that the cham had the yellow color mouth (think it was screameleons site, I'm pretty sure) & so it seemed that maybe it wasn't so common. After all if it was common why would a breeder even point it out IMO. I thought it looked pretty darn cool as well. I was happy to see Diego, my cham, had the yellow color :cool::D

Well, I know in some they're referring to the like "lipstick" coloring, some will have yellow on lips, cheeks & eyes sometimes too. So if they said yellow mouth maybe it means outside mouth, not inside mouth.

Well, I know in some they're referring to the like "lipstick" coloring, some will have yellow on lips, cheeks & eyes sometimes too. So if they said yellow mouth maybe it means outside mouth, not inside mouth.

Definitely meant inside cause they had a wide open month pic there to show the coloring. I wish I could find that cham that was for sale & I'd post the link but I couldn't find it. Guess maybe it was because it might interest some buyers as well as there color pattern and shades. Seems as though it's a common trait for chams. I can't wait to see how my cham looks like once he's fully mature. I'm very pleased with his coloring so far (I must say he's a looker ;)) & think his yellow mouth looks sooo cool. :D ... rare or not rare ;)

the vet told me pretty much the same thing, but yeah before that I was wondering too. (btw mine is a ambilobe panther)

I know it's not abnormal but what I wondering & can't seem to find out is if it's a regional thing or something not so common. So far a sambava, my ambilobe & your nosey be all have it so maybe not a trait specific to a certain region of panther chams but is it this more rare & a more sought after trait for a panther cham? Maybe it's a common thing & would be uncommon not to have the yellow mouth. That's what I would like to find out.

OOps, sorry about that. I'm usually very good about what I read and comprehend!

Back
Top Bottom