Yeah...His First Carrot!

@Mrjamwin said..."Anyone ever seen a Chameleon eating a carrot, strawberry, etc etc in the wild? Are these things that you would find in the habitat of a Veiled?"...I'm venturing to say no....at least not from their surroundings..however do they eat most of the insects we feed them in captivity in the wild either? They do, in their native land eat insects that have eaten many greens, veggies and fruits from their native country so maybe they can get the taste of those things when they eat the insects and thus think when we offer them some it's something to eat? Just a thought.

I don't force the female veileds to eat the (non-native to their native land) pothos but they chose to. Why?

I am yet to see any leaf matter in my ladies poos, of course now that they’re bioactive I rarely see any poos. Stella keeps eating the baby leaves of her hibiscus as soon as they start to grow. She eats her pothos until they are pretty much just a vine. Grumpy isn’t quite as bad and Hammlet has just taken a few nibbles. Since my ladies are always on a restricted diet, maybe they’re just trying to fill their bellies.

@PabloTheCham said..."they don't absorb nutrients from the greens"....I would like to see a study that proves this one day. I'm still not convinced.

If it goes in the pie hole (or the cricket hole) its got to do one of three things:

Get absorbed, oxidized and excreted
Get absorbed, temporarily stored, then oxidized and excreted
Come out the other end unbroken down

There is not a magical place in humans/chams that the laws of thermal dynamics do not apply. So either that carrot is going to come out the other end looking like a carrot (very painful for domestic rabbits), or its going to get digested...

I have the same argument with people with 'steak". "have you ever pooped out a piece of steak? No, ok then you got all the nutrients/calories out of it since there was no fiber"

So who's going to go through the poops for science?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom