x-rays of a female that will not lay.

At this point she dropped 29 eggs. First, I used washed play sand and she would kick it around, make small holes and leave it. Then I went to Pro Mix non-fertilizer soil, and she then started digging deep holes, each day. But she would not lay in that either. Finally, I got the oxytocin and bam they just fell out. She still will not eat anything, so I force fed her by pulling down on her chin and making her open her mouth. When her mouth would open i just put the food in there and she gobbled it up.

IMHO she should have been hungry and willing to eat on her own after laying the eggs. If she doesn't improve in a day or two, I would take her back to the vets.

I agree with you Kinyonga. I am taking her to the vet again tomorrow, and getting another x-ray. I would think she should be very hungry after laying eggs. Usually, my females devour food after laying.

Good news! Now that I force fed my girl, she is already looking better, and has more energy. Her color has improved and she already seems to be recovering. Wow what a rollercoaster ride this girl and I went through. I am just hoping day after day her appetite increases and she makes a full recovery. I think she just got so weak, from the clutch and the vet that she would not eat. :)

You mentioned you were taking her to the vet a few days ago for another x-ray. What did it show..anything? Is the mass still present or did it pass? Hope all is going well with your little girl.

Hello, Not sure what the mass was, but it is no longer there. The girl is eating on her own and making a full recovery. Since she didn't eat for a long time prior to laying eggs, she developed a vit. A defficiency. Apparently, her eye got irritated by a particle of dirt in her bin and she did not have enough vit. A in her system to help fight the irritation. I had to treat her insects w/ Vit. A or retyinal palmitate and her eye has made an improvement also. :)

Glad to hear the good news! Mystery mass may have simply been a couple of eggs, lined up one behind the other making them more dense and therefore brighter in the xray.
:)

I've seen that kind of "mass" in another x-ray of a chameleon and it was turned out to be "nothing" then too.

wow too bad I did no read this earlier. Yes when they get that hormone shot they usually start dropping eggs from where ever they are in the cage in a matter of hours. In my experience if it does not work the first or second shot it is likely not going to work and other options will need to be considered. I am glad to read you took her in for a follow up xray as well. I had a cham that I thought was done then a week later dropped another. I palpated her tummy and could feel more eggs. Started her on oxytocin and she dropped several more eggs after the shot.

You said..."She was too stressfull for me to watch digging over and over"...could she see you watching her while she was digging at any time??

No, I had a barrier on all 4 sides w/ a small peep hole. She could not see me at all. I made sure she had a nice private area, in a spare bedroom with no traffic and the door shut.

Back
Top Bottom