Would this work???

Jakedn

So, today I was helping my mom out digging some holes in the garden so that she could plant some stuff as we just moved into a new house. I ended up finding a small tree stump buried in the garden right where she wanted something. So, I dug out the tree stump, which actually turned out looking really cool. An idea popped into my head that I could possibly hollow it out and make a nice looking chameleon "house" for a future chameleon to get out of the way of mistings if he was cold or something, climb on top to bask, or even go inside to sleep. Do you think the chameleon would explore inside, bask on top, or use it to get away from mistings. Or would it be an utter waste of my time to hollow this thing out. I think it would look really cool to incorporate this thing into a cage that I'm going to build. Has anybody ever done something like this and know if the chameleon would use it?

I doubt a cham is ever going to use it as a cave/hide but you could hollow out the top like a bowl and use it to contain feeders?
Ofcourse you'd have to sand/smooth and maybe varnish the inside so bugs have a hard time escaping.
If its been totally in the ground though chances are its rotten and chock full of microlife.

Yeah, it was completely buried, but the wood had a strong cedar-like smell. Not sure but I assume it was cedar as it smelled like it. I also don't know how long it was in the ground or how recently it was cut as we just moved in. But would there maybe be a way to kill off all of the micro life?

If its small enough you could cook the crap out of it in the oven for an hour or two.
Other than than submerge it in boiling soapy water maybe.

At what temperature would I bake the wood? Would this make the wood dry too fast causing cracks and warping? Would the wood smoke while in the oven? Also, thanks a bunch for the answers!!

Temperature will depend on your oven type, but if it smokes, its too hot, try a lower temp for longer. Not sure about warping or cracking, I think that might require pretty intense heat, but its a risk you take. If it contains alot of moisture it may produce some steam, if its weakened by rot, it may crack.
Perhaps a natural sun drying over several weeks on a hot surface (metalic shed roof etc)
might be better, Most bugs require moisture to survive, eventually it will dry out too much to support anything.
If there are holes or deep cracks you could spray insecticide inside, but try to seal it (varnish ) before use. You can buy clear varnish that will not alter the color but bring out the attractive texture of the wood.
Seems like alot of bother for a stump you found in the ground. If its particularly unique, cool looking, then go for it, but you may find a store selling natural timber peices for decorative purpouses, driftwoods of various kinds can look fantastic in lizard tanks,
petstores often carry them. :)

Well, I'm trying to get it to be usable as it looks pretty cool and its shaped in a way where I think I could fasten a feeder bowl onto it and if it works right theres a good perch on it as well. If it turns out to be too much trouble I can just toss it. So, baking it will kill all of the bugs if there even is any?

At what temperature would I bake the wood? Would this make the wood dry too fast causing cracks and warping? Would the wood smoke while in the oven? Also, thanks a bunch for the answers!!

You can either soak it in a water/bleach mix and then resoak it a few times in fresh water. Or soak the stump in water and then bake it at 250-300 degrees for a couple of hours. that way it won't dry out too fast or risk catching on fire. Just make sure you are home and keeping an eye on it.

Well it's quite a small stump so it's virtually dry already, just want to make sure there aren't any hidden bugs.

Yeah, it was completely buried, but the wood had a strong cedar-like smell. Not sure but I assume it was cedar as it smelled like it. I also don't know how long it was in the ground or how recently it was cut as we just moved in. But would there maybe be a way to kill off all of the micro life?

If you are thinking it is Cedar, that is not a recommended choice of wood to be placing near reptiles.

Good point panther, I overlooked that, but cedar tends to give off toxic phenols (hydrocarbons/fumes) toxic to herps.
Main concern is moisture + heat will release them. Cedar shavings are considered a big no no as substrate.
If you think it may be, its probly best avoided, but you could treat the peice and use it as object d'art! :)
Maybe bung a few cuphooks on it and hang housekeys? :D

Back
Top Bottom